LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
RKsport
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again pontiac friends, we are offering a pre production sale on new headers for $700.00 a pair. Retail will be set at $850. They are made of 16 gauge stainless steel and will directly bolt up to the stock flanges, so yes they are shorties. Great header at a great price,
Call us @ 800-214-8030 ext 28 to reserve your set

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
Big Cheif-tain said:
Hello again pontiac friends, we are offering a pre production sale on new headers for $700.00 a pair. Retail will be set at $850. They are made of 16 gauge stainless steel and will directly bolt up to the stock flanges, so yes they are shorties. Great header at a great price,
Call us @ 800-214-8030 ext 28 to reserve your set
This seems kind of steep for shorties? Any pics?

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
High grade stainless is always going to cost more than mild steel. It's a bear to work with; difficult to cut, weld, and beats the snot out of your tooling. I burned up 3 nitrided drill bits and a Dremel grinding cone making a hole in an elbow I purchased from S/W. The difference in materials cost between shorties and LT is not the overriding factor one might think. People will generally choose shorties for 100% EPA compliance, clearance, and ease of installation. HP gain per dollar, you're at a disadvantage.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
So mistermike would the uncoated stainless RK's be preferable to say, JBA's Ti-Ceramic coated mild steel headers?

And also, while I was at JBA's site, I saw this picture

Here we have a GTO in a deep red color with the 18" Holden wheels (with Pontiac center caps) and a "JBA" banner on the top of the windshield...Is this a W40 vehicle, a Photoshop? I wonder...

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
The coated headers will keep a nice appearance due to the coating, but if they're using 304 stainless on the RK's, man is that stuff rugged. When I get headers I plan to wrap them in fiberglass tape for heat control, which I would never do with mild steel. The folks at Jet Hot, the coating people, will tell you how bad wrapping is and probably cite how nascar guys used to burn out a set of headers in 1 race, but they are running mild steel under the severest (cherry red) circumstances.
I'm betting the photo is legit. The Holden wheels are available from a few sources in Oz, but they're quite expensive.

·
Been here for a long time...
4,660 Posts
mistermike said:
The coated headers will keep a nice appearance due to the coating, but if they're using 304 stainless on the RK's, man is that stuff rugged. When I get headers I plan to wrap them in fiberglass tape for heat control, which I would never do with mild steel. The folks at Jet Hot, the coating people, will tell you how bad wrapping is and probably cite how nascar guys used to burn out a set of headers in 1 race, but they are running mild steel under the severest (cherry red) circumstances.
I'm betting the photo is legit. The Holden wheels are available from a few sources in Oz, but they're quite expensive.
Ask Tom Byrne(TByrne Motorsports) about his 93 Z28 and header wrap. Its been quite awhile, maybe 97 or 98. It burned to the ground on the side of the road. If I remember right, oil got on the wrap and stated the fire.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Ouch. Remind me to carry my fire extinguisher in the car. (actually everyone should). A few years back a guy stopped near my house with one of his brakes on fire and I was able to save his car because I had one handy. You might have thought the moron would have offered me $20 for a recharge, but I guess his gratitute was short lived.
When I did the wrapped headers on my ricer, I painted them with a high temp silica enamel before and afterwards, which should inhibit the tape from sucking up water or oil. The water retention is another reason not to wrap mild steel.

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
And a set of SW Long Tube made of the same high grade material are $8xx something.

I'd take L.T.'s over shorties any day! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts