LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Here for the Gangbang
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
RMGTO's Relationship with Suss Pontiac... More Information

I got a call from Lon Morrow (New Car Sales Manager at Suss Pontiac in Aurora) yesterday morning, asking to get together to discuss sponsorship of RMGTO events and other relationship-type items.

I personally think this is a huge step forward in the relationship between us as enthusiasts and the dealership. Not many dealers are willing to establish an interface between themselves and the enthusiast arena, and my humble opinion is that their sales suffer for it. Who can sell a GTO better than a GTO owner?

Hell, while I know that the car sells itself, I've personally sent half a dozen prospective buyers to Suss. All of them have driven GTOs off the lot.

So, now I have to pose a question to you as GTO owners in Rocky Mountain region. What would you like to see from Suss, and what are we prepared to offer Suss in exchange? It seems to me that's it's relatively obvious that Suss needs to sell these cars. What can we do to help them sell GTOs?

I can certainly put a banner advertisement for Suss up on the RMGTO site, but that starts to beg questions about whether or not we can still advertise/link RMGTO on this site. I don't see our potential relationship with a dealer as commercial, per se, but I'd have to speak with the Moderator team here on LS1GTO to make sure I'm on the right page.

Let's start a dialog about what we think can come of this. Obviously, we're all drooling over the Magnuson blower and other goodies that Mike Lyons at EPS offered to help RMGTO out with at Bandimere on the 29th of September. Suss and EPS are teaming up to put supercharged '04 GTOs on the street, as Jeff will attest.

I'd personally like to see a dealer-installed, warranty-covered LS6 conversion for $2500 or less. Am I dreaming? Maybe. But let me know what you guys think.

I'm sending a link to this thread to Mike Lyons and Lon Morrow themselves, and I'll be setting up an actual face-to-face discussion with Lon for sometime next week. It'd be great if I could take your thoughts and comments with me.

Thanks.

- Mike, RMGTO Webmaster

·
'04 645Ci
989 Posts
Yeah, I talked several times with Suss on buying a GTO before deciding to go with John Elway (better deal) but I'm certainly willing to work with them. I'd be very interested in an LS6 conversion (especially under warranty), as well as the Magnuson supercharger.

Let me know what I can do to help.

·
Registered Goat Abuser
3,350 Posts
If they will warranty a LS6 conversion I will let them install a SUSS eyebrow banner on my windshield.
I will also attend a bunch of car related events (AutoXs, Bandi, Car Shows,…) and talk the ears off of anyone that is willing to listen about how great SUSS is.

·
Here for the Gangbang
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jagular said:
Yeah, I talked several times with Suss on buying a GTO before deciding to go with John Elway (better deal)...
This is the kind of information I think Suss should be interested in. If people are getting better deals on GTOs at other dealerships, then Suss should be motivated to get a foothold on the market. I'm by no means saying that we have them 'by the short and curlies', but I do feel strongly that we as the consumer can and do determine what will and won't sell.
jagular said:
...but I'm certainly willing to work with them. I'd be very interested in an LS6 conversion (especially under warranty), as well as the Magnuson supercharger.
Seems to me that the majority of us want the LS6 conversion. It's such a simple swap; we have the block already. We just need the heads and the cam. And it's all OEM GM parts, so I guess I don't see what the problem would be.

Long ago, Colorado DSM worked with Mile High Mitsubishi to get a parts discount established, and now DSMers across multiple states get their parts only from Mile High Mitsu. We get 25% off of list, and they get more parts sales than any other Mitsu dealer in the area. And while that may seem like a minor thing, DSMers are gearheads that are loyal to Mitsubishi parts. We turn a wrench, we break something, and we spend a couple of hundred dollars at a time at the dealer without batting an eye.

Now we're talking about thousands where the GTO is concerned. See where I'm going with this?
jagular said:
Let me know what I can do to help.
Get me your information so I can build you a profile on the RMGTO site. :sneaky: :p

·
Registered
469 Posts
I might be in on the warranteed LS6 conversion - depending on cost. The whole parts thing is very interesting and I'd be happy to 'fly the banner' for them. On a smaller (less-formal) scale grand offered parts at deep discounts to 'internet purchasers' all of whom were club gp folks (at least at first)...even something like that would be of interest to me.

Doric said:
This is the kind of information I think Suss should be interested in. If people are getting better deals on GTOs at other dealerships, then Suss should be motivated to get a foothold on the market. I'm by no means saying that we have them 'by the short and curlies', but I do feel strongly that we as the consumer can and do determine what will and won't sell.

Seems to me that the majority of us want the LS6 conversion. It's such a simple swap; we have the block already. We just need the heads and the cam. And it's all OEM GM parts, so I guess I don't see what the problem would be.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I will be most definitly getting a 04 supercharged GTO when i get back from Ireland in 20 or so days. It will most likely be a main feature in my upcoming documentary. I am already looking into some car mounted cameras for this documentary so I would have to put a shout out to Suss, with their approval of course. :)

·
Resident Ass-Clown
662 Posts
I think it would be awesome and something I would definitely save pennies for. It would be sweet if they did them like some of the dealerships did the Camaro SS. I think it was Berger that had a nice one. Badges in the engine compartment and passenger cab.

·
Here for the Gangbang
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey, Boe - you wanna get me some information for a profile on RMGTO?

·
Resident Ass-Clown
662 Posts
You have PM, Mike

·
Here for the Gangbang
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do? It shows 0...?

·
Here for the Gangbang
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, my meeting with Lon Morrow was eventful and worthwhile. It was a 'getting to know you' kind of meeting more than anything else.

Suss' standpoint, as one would expect, is to weigh the cost vs. the benefit. What is Suss getting out of sponsoring events and other items for RMGTO members? I offered to put a banner/link on the RMGTO page, and there's always word-of-mouth for when we tell people how happy we are with Suss and our GTOs.

I don't know about you, but I always have good things to say about the GTO.

I told Lon that we are ecstatic that Suss and Mike Lyons at EPS have provided us with the Magnacharger at such a great price, with the factory warranty intact. It's a good chunk of change, so not everyone's going to line up at the door quite this soon, but of all the forced induction options right now, have an intact warranty just about sells the Magnacharger on that alone. I did also mention that it would be nice if we could find a compromise between the 7-8psi that the lowlanders get and the 5.5psi that Jeff's seeing because of the altitude. Those of us that had GTPs prior to this know very well how to make that change. :secret: I didn't get a 'yes', but I think it might be something that we can work out with Mike Lyons in the future.

I also shared with Lon that Jeff's launch at Bandimere was downright frightening with all the wheelhop and spinning that was going on, and that it was just asking for trouble/broken parts to have a blown GTO with a stock suspension. I told him that SLP has hit the market with a few parts, like bushings, that would help tremendously, and that Suss should consider becoming an SLP distributor locally. Do you guys agree that if you could walk up to a local establishment and buy SLP parts, knowing that there'd be someone local who could install the parts as well as stand behind them if something went wrong, you'd go that way rather than buying over the Internet and taking your chances? Assuming the price was reasonably competitive, of course.

I did mention the LS6 conversion again, and Lon is still hesitant; his understanding is that GM itself will not honor the warranty after an LS6 conversion, regardless of what "other dealers" have done. Maybe someday. Or maybe we can just ask that Suss not warranty the changed parts (heads, cam, tuning), but be a little lenient with us if something else breaks.

Lon brought up a couple of his local contacts, and that things are already in the works for custom intakes, exhaust systems, etc. This is good, I said, because as much as we love the fact that the blower is available, we'd also like some less expensive options for modding on a budget. Intake, headers, exhaust, brakes, suspension goodies, etc.

Now, one thing that Lon was excited about was sponsored events. A Suss-sponsored T&T night, for example, where GTOs would get in free. I'd obviously advertise the heck out of the event (as would Suss), and anyone with a GTO could get in free. There was also discussion of a Track Day similar to what CSMA sponsors once a year. Very, very exciting stuff. No talk of 'must wear a Suss badge on the car all year' contractual-type obligations. Word-of-mouth goes a long way, and Lon seems to be keenly aware of this. This is a very good thing.

I think this covers about it. We had a great conversation about the GTO's build quality, the '05, and what we can expect from GM in the future, and it was all good news - very hopeful on the quality control side - but I think I speak for all of us when I say that the GTO is still head and shoulders above just about anything else that GM offers in terms of build quality and fit-and-finish. If they can get the other models even to just catch up, they'll start competing much more effectively with marques like Toyota, Nissan, Honda, etc.

Thoughts, gentlemen? I'd love to hear them.

Thanks.

·
'04 645Ci
989 Posts
Great news Doric! I don't understand why Suss won't support the LS6 conversion, when they'll warranty the Magnuson. The LS6 conversion is pure GM... Anyway, what can we do to help this effort along?

Also, great idea about the SLP relationship. Let me know. I'm ready to get the SLP bushings from PFYC, even though my wheel hop is almost non-existent. I pulled a 5.4 0-60 (5.07 corrected at altitude) with a 2.28 60' last weekend (based on my GTimer). I have a later VIN so I think GM might have corrected some of the wheel hop issues. Of course, I'm not throwing down the torque of a Magnuson SC (yet). Either way, at the minimum, bushings, CAI and structural improvements are on my list after the holidays. I can certainly work with a sponsor instead of PFYC or SLP if it's reasonable.

Finally, thanks for stepping up and working with Suss on this.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
That is good news, I had a long talk with them last night as well, btw there is a red 04 goat in the showroom, and it has a maggie on it. :)

·
Registered
470 Posts
What the price of the one with the maggie on it at Suss.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
The website says 45k, but they were going to sell for 38k I think. I just really dont want red or those chrome wheels.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I didn't like the silver of my GTO initially, and the rims have finally grown on me, but I wouldn't pass up the deal just that you don't like the color or the rims.

·
Resident Ass-Clown
662 Posts
I would jump at the chance for a local SLP distributor. As for the SC, still outside the budget, but I am 100% with the less expensive mods. (I already got the OK from the woman on an LS6 conv, but since the 'still warrantied' bit was one of my better selling points...) Anyway, thanks for the hard work on this and PLEASE keep us updated, bro.

·
Here for the Gangbang
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
jagular said:
Finally, thanks for stepping up and working with Suss on this.
Boefadeez said:
Anyway, thanks for the hard work on this and PLEASE keep us updated, bro.
It's my pleasure, guys. And I'll definitely keep everyone posted.

Rich, I added your pics except for one (you had two three-quarter front view pics; I went with the one I thought looked better). Check 'em out here and let me know if you'd like me to make any changes.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Mike -- thanks for starting the dialogue with them. Sounds like some great possibilities!

Doric said:
It's my pleasure, guys. And I'll definitely keep everyone posted. ...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts