LS1GTO Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know several of you on this board have put on aftermarket wheels and that most of you have rolled the inner lip. I would like some feed back on how you did this. I know you can rent a tool from Tire Rack, but is there any other method that you used?
I'm also thinking about just grinding about a 1/4" of each side with a small grinder and then painting the bare metal. I would like to hear your comments on this subject.

·
Banned
504 Posts
I have 18x9" wheels w/ 275/35/18 tires on the back on didn't have to roll the lip. How big of a tire are you after to fit in the back?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Howie said:
I have 18x9" wheels w/ 275/35/18 tires on the back on didn't have to roll the lip. How big of a tire are you after to fit in the back?
I'm using oem tires on 17x8 wheels but offset is only 40mm which is 8mm more than original which equals about 3/8" closer to the fender.
Also I will be in Fountain Hills arriving May 29 and plan on going to the Pavillions car show. Do you think you will be there? I would like to see your car and talk to you!

·
Banned
504 Posts
4th GTO said:
I'm using oem tires on 17x8 wheels but offset is only 40mm which is 8mm more than original which equals about 3/8" closer to the fender.
Also I will be in Fountain Hills arriving May 29 and plan on going to the Pavillions car show. Do you think you will be there? I would like to see your car and talk to you!
I'll be there! shoot me a call when you get into town.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I used the haweka fender roller tool. I got it from Barry at bigwheels.net and it worked fine. I did crack the paint a little but I touched it up and then put a little silicon seal on it just to be sure it wouldn't have a problem.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I've used a baseball bat between the tire and fender. Wood works better than aluminum, more traction on the tire to help move the bat.

·
...brah
8,810 Posts
I suggest using a grinder. Using a baseball bat is FPFQ all the way.

·
Wol Gemut
3,347 Posts
Thanks slammin, I've been waitin' almost a decade for that brilliant advice. think I'll be rollin' em.

·
dum dum dum dum dudum
6,217 Posts
Grinding is by far the best option.

·
Original Owners Club
9,472 Posts
I suggest using a grinder. Using a baseball bat is FPFQ all the way.
No wai brah, magazines/telephone books are where it's at.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've used a baseball bat between the tire and fender. Wood works better than aluminum, more traction on the tire to help move the bat.
I've heard that baseball bats are good for removing dents too. Oh wait that's installing dents my fault. :D

Sorry op I couldn't help myself. I rolled my fronts last summer, and it was pretty easy to do. Just have someone heat the fender while you work the roller, and you wont have any problems.

·
dum dum dum dum dudum
6,217 Posts
The fronts are completely different than the rears. The rears are a combination of two and three layers of steel. Very thick.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I only needed to roll my fronts to prevent rubbing while turning, so I did not try to roll my quarters. Apparently others have done the rear, and grinding was necessary. I can see how my post could be misleading, so I just wanted to clear that up.

·
Administrator
8,442 Posts
Really?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.