LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
I appreciate the point of this video and its understood that your 'style' is to walk around and show what you're working on/diagnosing/improving, but on a topic like this, I would have appreciated links to the actual Bill, HR number or something for further reading. Googling lead me to slanted articles ex..Preserve our ability to roll coal! and other perspectives that assume I'm part of their niche audience.

Setting that all aside, we should vote for our rights to continue pursuits of faster/better/more improved cars that are fruits of our tinkering but we should know the actual wording of what's being voted on, and we can't do that without pointers to past and current revisions of the bill.

·
Worthless reject member
46,561 Posts
the 2019 RPM bill died at the end of the last session of congress because it was never voted on.

hopefully it gets reintroduced with this session.

·
The Entenmann's Shim-Sham
12,449 Posts
If I recall, the RPM Act is specifically for racing and does nothing for street cars. Your video makes a lot of assumptions without providing any actual information to back up your claims.

Also, diesel bros who want to roll coal can rightly get fucked.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My Video was created to spread awareness. If you give the government an inch they take a mile. What’s stopping someone from telling you that a project car you’re working on is a race car because it’s a modified car. And now it’s illegal. I’m not making assumptions I’ve been watching every video and reading everything I can about this and I try to make a short video that was straight to the point. If I made a long elaborate 40 minute video explaining everything noone would click on it. This is my style it’s how I do my videos. But there’s plenty of information out there that can be read online And I simply provided a link in the videos description on YouTube where you can go to vote against this. My other point was specifically about not only just the automotive industry but peoples jobs that are affected indirectly by the automotive industry. Below is the direct link which I also had on the YouTube video description.

·
Administrator
8,721 Posts
On this subject:
I’m hearing rumors that Stainless Works will no longer sell catless setups, Kooks is requiring you to sign a waiver with your VIN confirming you will only use their headers for off-road use before they will ship your parts, and also have noticed Kollar Racing no longer sells any headers.

Something is definitely going on as of late.

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
On this subject:
I’m hearing rumors that Stainless Works will no longer sell catless setups, Kooks is requiring you to sign a waiver with your VIN confirming you will only use their headers for off-road use before they will ship your parts, and also have noticed Kollar Racing no longer sells any headers.

Something is definitely going on as of late.
@Duckman is this the reason behind no headers?

·
Registered
570 Posts
You aren't voting for anything. Your congress critters do the voting. You can only petition them.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is exactly why headers have become hard to find as of this month. I have friends who own performance parts companies and they can no longer sell anything that removes an emissions item like cats, exhaust manifolds and egr related parts.

I created this video to spread awareness.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
If I recall, the RPM Act is specifically for racing and does nothing for street cars. Your video makes a lot of assumptions without providing any actual information to back up your claims.

Also, diesel bros who want to roll coal can rightly get fucked.
you sir, are incorrect. here's part of it....and you think its going to stop at just those parts, you are sadly mistaken.

• Street vehicles—cars, trucks, and motorcycles—can't be converted into racecars according to the EPA.
  • The EPA has announced that enforcement against high performance parts—including superchargers, tuners, and exhaust systems—is a top priority.
high performance PARTS......including superchargers, tuners (o that will effect most of us..)
and saying INCLUDING does not mean just those parts.

heres the link Recognizing the Protection of Motorsports Act (RPM Act)

ALSO>>>DO NOT ASSUME IT WONT AFFECT US BECAUSE IT MOST CERTAINLY WILL>>>>these idiots classify our "streetcars" as a racecars.

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
10,238 Posts
I'm probably going to get this DR'd - but let's see.

1) welcome to the gun rights fight - have fun.
2) driving in general is not a right, nor is it a right to be able to build your own racecar. Let's be clear on this one ground point to start from. IT IS NOT A RIGHT. It is a privilege to get to drive a car, part 1. It is a privilege to get to buy a car, any car. and to do any modifications on that car from its orginal certified design is another privilege that is taken way too far by many.

Now - I make that statement as one an engineering that used to work in automotive and now works in aviation, and two as a guy that used to race his GTO on road course circuts like road atlatna, sebring and VIR.

When I raced my GTO get this - I still had the factory cats on, with the mostly factory exhaust on. I know crazy right.

So a few things - This has come up before if any of ya'll remember the 90's. Back then the result was the law where no shop can remove CATS from a car. That whole nonsense was started in the 80's if I recall and took the better part of 10 years to get into play.

So few things that are missing is the discussion let's talk real race cars. F1 - get this has emission requirements. WRC - get this has emissions requirements. So why then shouldn't your weekend race car?

Engineering development: for year racing was looked to as the birthplace of auto innovation. pneumatic over oil dampers, cross ply belted tires, disc brakes, computerized fuel injection, high temperature combustion chambers, hemispherical head I could continue. why then shouldn't racing help develop better emissions controls? Or shocker electric and alternative fuel motivation?

So the home built race car - nothing wrong with it. And note they aren't trying to ban amature racing. If you want to look at the hardest place for laws against veichles - look across the pond. EU and UK still do amature racing - but there are limits.

I don't think they can really ban tuneing. Now that is coming from your Automakers and insurance companies. The idea that you can turn off the built in speed limiter on your new __ greatly reduces safety. Put another way unless you know that you need better tires on your new camaro - turning off the speed limiter at 150 - means you also need to ensure you have W rated tires on the car if you want to touch that speed.

not everyone has that depth of knowledge. Likewise past that speed - well you're well beyond how the car was certified for safety. YOu might for example find significant vibrations at 160. ( how many of you found that out with your single piece driveshafts). It's possible that vibration is your suspension arms - and now even with your new tires, your suspension isn't really up the task of running past the speed limiter that the car originally came with. That cobalt you're driving was never really intended to go that fast. Or you know insert device of choice.

MOdern cars (built past 2001) are very highly optimized in the engineering. Now I'll transition to aviation for a moment - this has been an issue for aviation for over 20 years. but there is a significant responsibility and liability when you decide to modify an aircraft from it's orginal certified design. Now the manufacturer can put out a SB to do modifications - but even they go though hoops to get there. It also costs a small fortune. Your auto makers have wanted this same thought process since the 00's. For some of the reasons I menion above. You want another 100 hp out of your camaro well you really should have bought the much more expensive top spec camaro. Or get this enhancement package for __. not surprising. I don't see this enforeable in the auto realm.

But the new concern is the new electric car. you have cars and now trucks designed with a 48V or even 400V electric systems. Along with that comes significant risk of electrocution. if you don't knwo what you're touching while changing out those heavy motor leads. or tuning the car with a higher amp limit. YOu now created a fire hazzard and didn't know it. While not covered in the RPM discussion this is where that discussion is headed.

Hell look up the issues with John Deere and right to repair on going right now. This is a part of this discussion.

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
10,238 Posts
TL:DR version.

Cars are way more optimized than they used to be, modifing your 2020 camaro is quite different than your 69 camaro. Auto makers want more money, and most people shouldn't be modifying their cars anway (like rollin coal). All that said real race cars have emissions requirements - your weekend racer should too. Check out EU racing leagues.

·
Administrator
8,721 Posts
Glad I bought my TVS2300 last year...

·
Registered Winner
7,627 Posts
2) driving in general is not a right, nor is it a right to be able to build your own racecar. Let's be clear on this one ground point to start from. IT IS NOT A RIGHT. It is a privilege to get to drive a car, part 1. It is a privilege to get to buy a car, any car. and to do any modifications on that car from its orginal certified design is another privilege that is taken way too far by many.
Oh is it a privilege, Dad? Because in the definition of "privilege" they use the word "right". To whom do I owe this privilege of being able to save up my money and purchase my own vehicle, then modify it as I see fit? Fucking no one, especially not the government. If there was no government and cars existed, we would still drive. It shouldn't be looked as that they "LET" us do it.

·
Administrator
8,721 Posts
...then modify it as I see fit.
To an extent. There are certainly things we can do that take modding too far and can make a vehicle unsafe. That said, the whole idea about possibly not being able to add headers to your performance car makes me sad.

I was also sent the attached by a friend, but can't find these posted anywhere online to confirm their authenticity:

·
Worthless reject member
46,561 Posts
the threat to the hobby is real, in practical terms. the epa has filed suit against several aftermarket part manufacturers in the past year or so, such as flowmaster and pypes, and i am sure they will continue. small shops can't afford to pay tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars in fines and stay in business.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Oh fun the safety sally's are here now... I promise my 1000 horse ethanol burning GTO isn't going to hurt you or your environment. I've never been on an airplane and don't need an aviation guy to explain the harm and danger to the environment of my weekend toy.

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
10,238 Posts
Oh is it a privilege, Dad? Because in the definition of "privilege" they use the word "right". To whom do I owe this privilege of being able to save up my money and purchase my own vehicle, then modify it as I see fit? Fucking no one, especially not the government. If there was no government and cars existed, we would still drive. It shouldn't be looked as that they "LET" us do it.

OK the government issues you a driver's license. It is not a right like gun ownership per the bill of rights. If you want to go down that line. So the government could remove your license too. Now in theory you aren't supposed to be able to buy a car without a valid driver's license. Now I say in theory as I don't know how well that is enforced either but every car I've ever bought other than private sale - I've been required to give my DL for a copy to be made.

TO that end. the government also issues you a license plate for said car. To be used on public streets. without said valid license and fees paid the car can be impounded. So it is within reason for the government to start requiring veichle inspections and disallowing of license to cars that are modified.

Which happens already in parts of the country.

But no OMG they wants to clean the air by bannin' our cars. . . . . . . you know they do make better cats, and there are several hundred HP cars that run cats without any issues. Now when they want to start banning aftermarket shocks and brakes, body panels etc - I'll start being more upset over it.

I will say the tuner aspect has be a bit concerns. Exhaust parts - yeah sorry you need to run cats.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts