LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Torrid Red GTO and I have noticed a fine, black dust on the door panels behind the front tires and the quarter panels behind the rear tires after each drive I take. I am NOT smoking the tires. It appears to be "rubber dust". Has anyone else noticed this? Is it normal? Thanks.

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahhhh, brake dust... very possible. It's annoying as hell, 'cause by the time I get to wherever I'm going the stuff is all over the car. I hate wiping it off with a shop towel 'cause I'm afraid it'll scratch the paint.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
FLORIT said:
Ahhhh, brake dust... very possible. It's annoying as hell, 'cause by the time I get to wherever I'm going the stuff is all over the car. I hate wiping it off with a shop towel 'cause I'm afraid it'll scratch the paint.
I use Zaino #6 to wipe stuff off the car. I am sure there are other brands that work just as well.
:drink: :drink:

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
I had a DeLorean that had white dust all over the console.

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
mistermike said:

Ah yes John Delorean the (snowman) The founder of our beloved GTO'S
40 years ago.

Christ has it been that long already? :slap:

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mistermike said:
hahahahahaha, "white dust"... careful not to get that up your nose. ;)

·
Registered
102 Posts
I used to have brake dust on the aluminum wheels on a C5 Vette.
Seemed like the dust was the worst I had ever had on any car.
Only effective treatment was to change to ceramic brake linings.
That fixed the problem totally.

Haven't seen brake dust on the GTO, other than on the wheels,
and it is not too bad there.

Carguy

·
Registered
244 Posts
Brake pad dust - an example, our police cars here in South Australia have almost black front wheels from normal fleet use and between washes.

Mike

·
Registered
259 Posts
I'm a fanatic about keeping my car clean and after every drive I find black brake dust/ tire shine/ rubber on the body panels behind the wheels and along the sides. If this is the price to drive a car like this then I'll be the dude with the chamois in hand and shit eatin' grin on face.

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
CARGUY said:
I used to have brake dust on the aluminum wheels on a C5 Vette.
Seemed like the dust was the worst I had ever had on any car.
Only effective treatment was to change to ceramic brake linings.
That fixed the problem totally.

Haven't seen brake dust on the GTO, other than on the wheels,
and it is not too bad there.

Carguy
Ceramic Pads are Factory installed on the GTO'S

·
Been here for a long time...
4,658 Posts
My guess would be tire shine or the like. Brake dust tends to stick to the wheels for the most part.

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Static electricity was the culprit... the dust was indeed rubber and tire shine. I used Mequires (sp?) NXT car wash, which has an "anti-static" ingrediant, and the "spot free rinse" from my Mr. Clean Car Wash sprayer, and BINGO, problem solved. Drove the car all day yesterday and last night and looked at her this morning... virtually no "rubber dust" or anything else clinging to the quarter panels.

Thumbs up to the Mequires NXT car wash!

·
Registered
259 Posts
FLORIT said:
I have a Torrid Red GTO and I have noticed a fine, black dust on the door panels behind the front tires and the quarter panels behind the rear tires after each drive I take. I am NOT smoking the tires. It appears to be "rubber dust". Has anyone else noticed this? Is it normal? Thanks.
My car is silver and after every drive I have the same thing. I just keep after it with a California duster and mist wax. :(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts