LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
You could but I don't know why you would want to. I would guess your IAT's would be a problem along with many other things.
I'm no expert and am almost sure there are other obstacles without an intercooler. I'm sure KFXGuy and some others with turbo set ups will chime in with some more knowledge and info.

·
1 of 40,757
6,225 Posts
Keep it below 8psi and make sure you have some way to retard timing.
When you add an intercooler you will be surprised by the difference.

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
hi i have a 2004 gto i was wondering if i can run a turbo with no intercooler?
About the only way to do this without sending the IAT's into the stratosphere is to convert the car to methanol.

That'll add around 5 grand to your bill by the time you change over the fueling. I literally just went through this on a track car I'm building.

The intent (for me) is to "decomplicate" the system and save some front end weight on the car. Just know that methanol is not the most user friendly fuel and the maintenance schedule easily quadruples.

Fill, race, drain, fill with gasoline, run car again to flush injectors, then pull it all apart at home and hose it down with either Marvel oil or WD40.

Very hydroscopic fuel which is a big old ham sammich for corrosion.

It can be done, but you'd be money ahead to just put the plumbing in for a street car.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
72 Posts
hi i have a 2004 gto i was wondering if i can run a turbo with no intercooler?
You will be blowing hot air in to your engine so you will get a little more power out of it but not like you would if had the intercooler installed

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks alot ill most likely hold off on adding any boost until i get my coins up a lil more for intercooler.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
find my turbo built thread and you'll see what I went through. I started off with no intercooler. Then I put a small one on it and made a huge difference. You dont have to spend a ton of money on an intercooler. I built my stuff pretty cheap.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts