LS1GTO Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was making a short trip outside St. Louis a couple weeks ago when I noticed a very sharp looking 3000GT. The highway was a little busy where we were at but I shot him a look to see if he might wanna go. I got no indication from him, but about 3 miles later he runs up and says "go.". He took off and I got jammed behind some other vehicles because I still had my traction control on (I'm sure many of you know that feeling. :mad: ). So I went ahead and turned it off. A little further on I pulled up beside him when we had a nice clearing. He was looking so proud of his rice burner at that point, little did he know the fury that was about to be unleashed upon him. So he looks at me and I say go. At that point I gave him a second and then fired off from 70mph. By 100mph I had caught him, and by the time I got to another set of cars, I was doing 150mph and he was 20-30 car lengths behind me. At that point, my exit was a 1/2 mile away, so I turned on the turn signal and he gave me a thumbs up and a "thanks for the ass whoopin" wave as I exited the highway. :bubbrub

·
I did a bad, bad thing
1,450 Posts
You're an idiot to race to 150 mph on a public street. He probably gave you a thumbs up because pretty soon you're gonna win the Darwin award. Chances are he let off a little after 100mph because he isn't a friggin moron.

I hope you get put in jail and lose your license before you kill an innocent person with your poor judgment.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
purplegoat said:
I was making a short trip outside St. Louis a couple weeks ago when I noticed a very sharp looking 3000GT. The highway was a little busy where we were at but I shot him a look to see if he might wanna go. I got no indication from him, but about 3 miles later he runs up and says "go.". He took off and I got jammed behind some other vehicles because I still had my traction control on (I'm sure many of you know that feeling. :mad: ). So I went ahead and turned it off. A little further on I pulled up beside him when we had a nice clearing. He was looking so proud of his rice burner at that point, little did he know the fury that was about to be unleashed upon him. So he looks at me and I say go. At that point I gave him a second and then fired off from 70mph. By 100mph I had caught him, and by the time I got to another set of cars, I was doing 150mph and he was 20-30 car lengths behind me. At that point, my exit was a 1/2 mile away, so I turned on the turn signal and he gave me a thumbs up and a "thanks for the ass whoopin" wave as I exited the highway. :bubbrub
im guessing it wasn't a VR4. b/c if it was im pretty sure you would have gotten your a$$ handed to you. as much as i hate to admit it.

·
Deuce and a Half
1,880 Posts
Boy, you are just looking for some jail time lol. Hey STI, my roomate just picked up his STI today, Blue/Silver rims. I got my GTO like 3 weeks ago and were going cruising finally since we both have decent cars. He finally decided he wanted some real power and traded up from his 2004 WRX. Anything I should let him in on as far as problems or things to watch out for? He really isn't super car techy (not that I am an expert). As of right now hes got a TI tip axle back from TurboXS. At that point all it is doing is being loud. I would love for him to get a highflow cat, midpipe etc but worried about dropping the precats on the down pipe and up pipe if he replaces those. I am sure he'd be fine for emissions but not if they decided to do a visual test. I don't live in the same state as him so I don't know how crazy they go for emissions.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually, now that you mention it, it had an emblem that might have said VR4. It was located under the passenger side tail light. Let me know.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
purplegoat said:
Actually, now that you mention it, it had an emblem that might have said VR4. It was located under the passenger side tail light. Let me know.
yeah, thats where the badge should be. i guess starting from 80 mph or whatever you guys were doing, it was a pretty even match. i dont know that much about rolling starts and AWD. STi should be able to give a better comparison than I.

·
Chief Poncho
3,032 Posts
STi said:
You're an idiot to race to 150 mph on a public street. He probably gave you a thumbs up because pretty soon you're gonna win the Darwin award. Chances are he let off a little after 100mph because he isn't a friggin moron.

I hope you get put in jail and lose your license before you kill an innocent person with your poor judgment.

I agree.

·
I did a bad, bad thing
1,450 Posts
Blitzu said:
Here you go again STi, it's not like EVERY public road has children playing on the sides of it, and minivans filled with families. There are roads that are completely wide open that don't have houses or anything else near them. They are actually safer than a track because there are no spectators.

I live in illinois and I will also agree to say that you don't know the highways in rural IL.

Stop jumping on everythread that involves a street race with your Mr. Perfect attitude. This forum was created for street races, and kills, get use to it, or don't even comment on them. It's getting old.

Great kill by the way!
Pardon me for asking someone to obey the law.

Blitzu said:
They are actually safer than a track because there are no spectators.
I've singled this statement out because it proves your stupidity. I have no clue how old or educated you are, and nor do I care. However saying a street race is safer than a CLOSED facility with protective barriers and emergency equipment is just ignorant.
:slap:

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Easy, guys. Count to 10. Have a cold one. Live and let live.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
We're sure to get some strong opinions here. Otherwise we'd all be driving beige Corollas.

·
Disaster
339 Posts
Blitzu said:
Sorry Mike, but I held my tounge for awhile, but it annoys me that someone can't post a racing story on a racing forum without this guy putting them down. It's not cool when this forum was made for it.
I agree with this statement. I'm not saying that I agree with street racing, but if someone wants to let everyone know of the "kill" they just did, then let them! It has nothing to do with you unless they are on the street that you live on going 150mph. THEN, by all means, bitch at them. But dont shoot someone down for telling a racing story. I'm not trying to start a fuss STi, you know me :D

So,lets all be friends now. Heres to everyone :drink: :drink:

·
I did a bad, bad thing
1,450 Posts
Blitzu said:
This is a street racing forum!! Here to share stories of street racing. You question my education because I say a road with nothing besides road is actually safer than a track with spectators? Last I checked all three tracks near me do NOT have protective barriers inbetween the cars racing. All they have is the tree between them and people standing on both sides. There is nothing to protect either car from hitting one another, or going off the side of the road.

I guess you don't have the benefit of the fine facilities I race at then. We have nice solid concrete barriers between the lanes and spectators. Also, the spectators sit quite a bit back from the lanes. I've seen a dragster hit the wall and bust into pieces and still not come close to injuring anyone.

I'm sorry, but I'll never be able to condone street racing, as it took the life of a relatively close friend, and that's why I get so worked up about it, I don't want to see it happen to anyone else.

I also apologize to Blitzu and purplegoat if I came off too harsh.

I'll just refrain from posting in anymore threads and let Darwin sort it out.

But before I do...

Someone asked my opinion on the VR4...stock, low 14 second car, so-so AWD system, obscenely overweight, and even worse from a roll. Modded, they can be pretty sick, but then you run into DSM reliability issues.

Best of luck to you guys.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
LOL! You guys are killin me! Trust me, there was no one in danger of anything except me and my goat. I would NEVER, I repeat NEVER, put anyone elses life in danger with my own stupid thrills. But this is the kill forum, not the humanely put down forum, so things will not be politically correct all the time. Just thought I would share my lone kill story so far. Thx for the support guys.

Oh, by the way, if it matters to STi, we were on a straight stretch of interstate 64, with cornfields on each side, so it might as well had been a track.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
STi said:
I'll just refrain from posting in anymore threads and let Darwin sort it out.
That's rich! Natural selection. I hope you don't stop contributing, STi. I recall other posts where relatives and friends died as a result of a street race. By the time I was a year out of high school, I had lost several friends on bikes. So far, they still haven't banned little old ladies from making left turns. I had a 59 Chevy fall on me and lived to talk about it. God has the final say so.

·
Registered
16 Posts
gtodriver7 said:
im guessing it wasn't a VR4. b/c if it was im pretty sure you would have gotten your a$$ handed to you. as much as i hate to admit it.
I traded my 96 VR4 for my GTO. Stock VR4's real advantage is launch. It's a 320HP 5.3, 13.5 car. Pretty even with the GTO in a straight line but it corners like it's on rails. That being said, if it was a VR4, no way you could beat it to 150 by 20 to 30 car lengths unless he wasn't trying. It pulls hard at high rpm in 4th and 5th.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, it had a logo under the tail lamp, but it might not have been a VR4. Hell, maybe the guy missed a gear.

I don't understand why every one of these threads gets scrutinized like the owners are lying, though. Like its hard to believe the GTO can win a damn race.

Look, I raced a damn car and beat it to a bloody pulp. Period. Unless your response is "way to go" or "congrats", don't bother typing anything up.

:confused:

·
Admin
9,705 Posts
There are always different opinons.

I dont care where you are or what car you are in ... if its not a mclaren f1 or something crazy 150mph is never that safe. Road surface and wind conditions could be the difference between life and death.

On the other side. I personally (my views are not that of LS1GTO.com) dont "hate" street racing. There are always different environments, most places its just for fun. Some places it gets pretty serious. It's always when there is a large group, an idiot behind the wheel, and a car thats about to send parts into orbit come together that someone gets really hurt.

Kill threads are kinda bs all the time anyways. Who knows the conditions of the other car, your car, what really happened.... The threads started popping up so thats why we have this forum. This forum does not have to be here.

·
Registered
98 Posts
morto said:
I traded my 96 VR4 for my GTO. Stock VR4's real advantage is launch. It's a 320HP 5.3, 13.5 car. Pretty even with the GTO in a straight line but it corners like it's on rails. That being said, if it was a VR4, no way you could beat it to 150 by 20 to 30 car lengths unless he wasn't trying. It pulls hard at high rpm in 4th and 5th.
The VR4 was a 13.5 car because it can pull a 1.6 60' easy. So the top end pull on these cars are not all that great. A GTO would easily pull it at highway speeds unless modded well.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.