LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

today I took the heads off of my 2005 gto and while I was cleaning the gasket material I managed to scratch the head. I was wondering if it’s anything to worry about, or should I get it resurfaced. I plan on boosting the car but also keeping my budget down. Is it something I can seal with a copper sealant?
Automotive tire Wheel Tire Rim Synthetic rubber

·
Super Moderator
19,208 Posts
If you can even remotely feel it with a fingernail get them resurfaced. If not, I'd run it.

I bought a set of 243s from a local wrecking yard a few years ago for cheap and was hoping to just bolt them on but NOOOooooo some yard monkey slid them across a shelf.

1200 dollars later I got them back with all new valve train and CNC ported haha.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you can even remotely feel it with a fingernail get them resurfaced. If not, I'd run it.

I bought a set of 243s from a local wrecking yard a few years ago for cheap and was hoping to just bolt them on but NOOOooooo some yard monkey slid them across a shelf.

1200 dollars later I got them back with all new valve train and CNC ported haha.
I ended up using a scour pad with break clean on the head and the scratch came out. There are little micro scratches now, but you can’t feel them with your finger nail. Hopefully looks good?
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper Automotive exterior

·
Worthless reject member
54,709 Posts

Frikkin sids04. He should know better.

·
Worthless reject member
54,709 Posts
I was going to say to just slap some crappy felpro graphite gasket on and send it, but i think you actually care about your engine, otherwise you wouldn't have went through the trouble of asking.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
I have a much worse scratch than that on one of my heads going to a cooling hole....its been holding 20+psi of boost for years with a gasket. I'd NEVER use copper coat on a mls coated gasket. its more than dep enough to catch my nail.

·
Chickun maka lousy houspet
743 Posts

I had the exact same opposite luck.

I ordered a set of aftermarket (replacement) fenders back in 2017. I was in an accident with my GTO and wanted new fenders. When I placed the order, I didn't know it was going to take took over 2 months for them to ship. I cancelled the order after a month and a half because I found a totalled car with GREAT fenders. When they showed up at the shop, I had to make a special trip with my dads truck to go pick them up. I tried for months to send them back, but the company wouldn't send me the return label...and I called them a LOT. Like...6 months later, I was told to just keep them!

ANYWAY, I had them sitting in the garage and managed to find a kid who needed fenders, a fog light and some misc. interior bits. I traded the fenders and the other parts, + $200 for a set of dirty, but bare 823 heads. I took a chance and when I had my engine rebuilt, the engine bulder guy told me they were ported!!!

Tie Jaw Sleeve Gesture Dress shirt

Reactions: Skylark
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.