LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
I gotta goat..
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw the thread that got posted about the use of Seafoam, but it was that you added it to the oil and ran it and ran it through the heads and ran the car. But i need to clean a set of motorcycle pistons and heads off the bike. What is a great carbon cleaner to use with a rag or something of that nature. Could i use seafoam by hand instead of injecting it in the car and run it.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Seafoam in the oil might help with sticky rings, but won't do much for the piston tops, nor is it something you would want to leave in your crankcase for very long. Suck it into a warm idling engine through a vacuum hose till it stalls. Let it sit a while, then restart. The amazing smoke screen would be worth the $6/can even if it didn't work.

·
I gotta goat..
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No you didnt understand my problem. The motor is apart so it will not run. I need to have a cleaner that i can put on a rag or a brush and clean the top of pistons and the valves/deck of some heads that are off the bike. So i cannot run something in the engine...

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Xylene, Toluene, Laquer Thinner or Methylene Chloride, etc. A good brush, rubber gloves, and lots of fresh air. Sea Foam is mostly isopropyl alcohol with petroleum solvents, and light oil that won't f**k up your motor. The abovementioned solvents are much more aggressive, and will make quick work of it.

·
Objects in mirror dont matter
3,777 Posts
Scotchpad is your friend while the above mentioned solvents will make it easier. If ya use carb cleaner or PB blaster (aerosol can stuff) use eye protection. That chit will richocet off the piston and is designed to track straight for the nearest eyeball!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts