LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
quasi-boob
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember some thing i heard a long time ago about seam welding and how it makes the body more rigid and less likely to flex in hard cornering. Has anyone looked into this or had it done on their car? Being a unibody construction and most things are just spot welded, it seems like it could be beneficial. Anybody else have any input? i know it would probably involve a complete tear down of the car tho.

·
Beer Geek
3,713 Posts
There are a few guys on ls1tech have done it to F-bodies. I have seen a few references in the Grass Roots Motor Sports forums too.

Sounds like a lot if time, a lot of effort, and a lot of welding. I am not going to tell you it isn't worth it because I don't know that. I did have a 1975 Chevy El Camino once upon a time as a much younger man. With 227,000 miles on it, it would not have needed the seams welded if some moron wanted to do a full frame-off resto on it.

EDIT: I did find one while reading up on double wishbone front suspensions. If you are starting with a late 1960s Mustang and want to build a Shelby GT350 clone, you are going to have some seam welding to do.

·
NASA Instructor, MW/GL Region
460 Posts
If you ever plan on road racing the car, when you get into the different classes some don't allow seam welding. Yes it will make the car stiffer but is it worth the time??

·
Custom User Title
1,828 Posts
Coming from racing Subaru Impreza, we only seam weld the cars for rally use. Our road race car was not seam welded.

·
quasi-boob
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
would there be certain areas that would benefit the most as to avoid an entire teardown of the car? such as things near suspension points

1 - 5 of 5 Posts