LS1GTO Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
So im looking online at these breakers, I'm looking at the high amp auto reset ones. They go up to 150 amp for 1/4 stud 200 amp for 3/8 stud. Im not sure what the stud means and how much amperage im looking for. Is the breaker supposed to prevent overcharging the battery? Like if it's sending too much amperage to the battery it trips?
300amp right here

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
On each end of the 15ft cable? I guess having double redundancy is not a bad idea but breaking the connection is breaking the connection. Unless the fuse/breaker is faulty it would accomplish the same thing. Or I could be completely misunderstanding what you're saying.
Yes each end. You absolutely need one at the battery. And there should be another in the bay because the alternator sends current back

I personally would buy manual resets

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Oh I think I get what you mean Sacrifice. In between the alt and before the distribution block.
I'm pretty sure the alternator has a fusible link....they usually do...I could be wrong tho.....just trace the cable...

·
Registered
346 Posts
I had a manual knife blade 250 amp but i found when swinging the ass end of the car hard to the right would flip the damn thing so I removed it. The only reason I have the alternator wire in the trunk is for the cut off switch.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Oh I think I get what you mean Sacrifice. In between the alt and before the distribution block.
Well i meant wire at battery and same wire that attaches to distribution block. You could overkill and put one on the alternator to distribution block but not typical

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Well i meant wire at battery and same wire that attaches to distribution block. You could overkill and put one on the alternator to distribution block but not typical
So what amp would you suggest on the front breaker? Previous comment said 250 trunk 125 up front, I'm looking at the 300 for the trunk, but I dont want to overkill, If that's a thing. I'm still struggling to understand the whole premise of this, I really and truly am electrically retarded. The main purpose of the breaker is still foggy to me, I've heard 2 different explanations and I don't know if it's one or the other or both lol. I just want it to be done right and safely. I found a good looking red 4 post distribution block along with a 300amp breaker, just need to know if I should get a 125 one as well and I will go ahead and order them.
Thanks everyone for all the help and good conversation btw.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
The same as whatever you put at the back. What wire size are you going with?

It's 1ga wire. So 2x 300 amp breaker? One in engine bay after the distribution block, and another in the trunk before the battery?

·
Registered
831 Posts
Last fuse I had melted and took the fuse holder with it. Alt fired itself thanks to all the resistance. Ill get cheap breakers before putting another fuse in this car.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts