LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got back from my second event this year. This time it was at an abandoned air field. The track was about 8/10th mile long. What a blast. I managed 8th out of 35 which got me a glass coffee mug with SCCA on it. :thumbs:

The GTO handles great, that is once you learn to control your adrenaline. :eek2: On the first run I was power sliding through every corner. I had a bad time on that run but after settling down I managed the best time on the next run. The GTO is not a slouch on the slalom or the track :driving:

I got more attention at this event than any other event I've been too. Everyone wanted to see the GTO and everyone liked it. Including STi, Stang, and M3 drivers to name a few. note to self: Next time more sun block :banghead:

·
3,327 Posts
Kick ass. Keep makin us proud Frank. :thumbs:

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
mlc said:
I managed 8th out of 35 which got me a glass coffee mug with SCCA on it. :thumbs:
Awesome, congrats. :) What I learned is that more "seat time" helps. Oh, and turning off traction control helps too. :judge: :)

I take it you ran the F-Stock class?

Padre

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Dude, I can't wait... I've registered for the SCCA Solo2 event in Lynchburg, VA on Sunday, July 18. It's part of our State's "Commonwealth Games", but I'm going only for the fun of it, not expecting to win anything. The vids I've seen (and the country backroads I've driven) have me convinced that Solo2 is the stuff for me. That's WAY more fun than drag racing, and I believe our Goats are more suited for road racing, anyway.

Padre, you seem to know your classes... will having a carbon fiber hood and 18" wheels put me in the "Street Prepared" class, or can I still run "Street Stock"?

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
FLORIT said:
Padre, you seem to know your classes... will having a carbon fiber hood and 18" wheels put me in the "Street Prepared" class, or can I still run "Street Stock"?
I'm no expert. I don't imagine it'd be a problem. But E-mail the organizers, I'm sure they'd be happy to help you.

Certainly you'd be better running in the stock class. I got put in Street Modified, basically the "anything goes" class, which was no good for me when I had done no braking and cornering mods.

Padre

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
FLORIT said:
Dude, I can't wait... I've registered for the SCCA Solo2 event in Lynchburg, VA on Sunday, July 18. It's part of our State's "Commonwealth Games", but I'm going only for the fun of it, not expecting to win anything. The vids I've seen (and the country backroads I've driven) have me convinced that Solo2 is the stuff for me. That's WAY more fun than drag racing, and I believe our Goats are more suited for road racing, anyway.

Any aftermarket wheel that is not the same as the stock wheel/tire combo will put you in the prepared class. This is based on SCCA rules. Of course it has been 3 or 4 years since I ran Solo II (mostly road courses now) but the rules should be the same!

·
Registered
349 Posts
You can change your wheels as long as their the same size as stock and still be in the stock class. I believe that since you went to larger wheels you will have to be in E Street Prepared instead of F Stock. In the 2 events that I've been to ESP has been a much larger and more competitive class than FS, but for me, I don't really care either way because I'm pretty sure it will be a while before I can expect to win something.

You might want to check about the Novice rules too. The Novices all race against each other regardless of which class their cars are in. There is a handicapping system called PAX so that times from different classes can be compared. The Novice winners are picked based on the PAX adjusted times. In the club I've joined, you're allowed to compete as Novice 3 times or until you trophy -- whichever comes first. Last race, I would have trophied if a Novice winner from the previous race hadn't raced Novice again. Unfortunately, I didn't stick around for the trophies; otherwise, I could have protested. I have one more novice race to go on 7/17 in Laurinburg, NC.

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Well, you make a good point. What class I race in doesn't matter. I'm doing it for fun and have NO expectations of winning anything. This event on the 18th is a little different than other SCCA Solo2 events because it is part of Virginia's "Commonwealth Games." (Our own "mini-Olympics.") I didn't pick this event because of that. I picked it because it's the closest "next event" I could find.

I've been having SCCA Solo2 dreams. :D

·
Member +145mph club
298 Posts
I have run in three SOLO II events as FS on the stock wheels and tires.
I found for grand prix tracks and autocross that 45 psi in front tires and 40 psi in rear give the car added cornering on my stock Goodrich G-force 245/45ZR17's

·
Registered
349 Posts
I'll try those pressures when I autocross again in a couple weekends. Last time, I think I went with 42 in the front. I didn't have time to adjust the rears, so they had 32 or 35 in them.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
High Octane said:
I have run in three SOLO II events as FS on the stock wheels and tires.
I found for grand prix tracks and autocross that 45 psi in front tires and 40 psi in rear give the car added cornering on my stock Goodrich G-force 245/45ZR17's
45 seems a bit too much. The first race I tried 42/42 and didn't like the traction on the front and rear. The last race I tried 38/42 and found I was able to kick the rear end out easier making it easier to get around the corner.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
FLORIT said:
Well, you make a good point. What class I race in doesn't matter. I'm doing it for fun and have NO expectations of winning anything. This event on the 18th is a little different than other SCCA Solo2 events because it is part of Virginia's "Commonwealth Games." (Our own "mini-Olympics.") I didn't pick this event because of that. I picked it because it's the closest "next event" I could find.

I've been having SCCA Solo2 dreams. :D
I asked about the Novice ratings and the answer I got was one year or 6 runs. But he also said no one checks. It probably varies between divisions.

·
Registered
349 Posts
mlc said:
45 seems a bit too much. The first race I tried 42/42 and didn't like the traction on the front and rear. The last race I tried 38/42 and found I was able to kick the rear end out easier making it easier to get around the corner.
So is that 38 in front and 42 in the rear? Now I'm wondering what I should try for my next event.

·
Registered
349 Posts
mlc said:
I asked about the Novice ratings and the answer I got was one year or 6 runs. But he also said no one checks. It probably varies between divisions.
Apparently nobody in my club checks either. Also, when I talked to one of the club's autocross officers, he mentioned that they were going to change to novice for a year instead of 3 events or 1 trophy. I really don't care that much except for the fact that I would have won a trophy last time if somebody was following the club's current rules.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tigger said:
So is that 38 in front and 42 in the rear? Now I'm wondering what I should try for my next event.
Yup. 38 front/ 42 rear.
If you don't have a pump then start with 42/42 and lower the fronts (or rears) as you see fit.
They suggest chalking the tires but the purpose of that is to see if your rolling the tire so much that your driving on the sidewall instead of the tread. So you could let air out of the tires and use the chalking to be sure you haven't gone to far.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I went out and bought one of those little pumps with the cigarette lighter power connector just for taking to autocross events. Maybe I'll try your suggestions. I've noticed understeer a couple of times and would prefer neutral or slight oversteer.

·
Member +145mph club
298 Posts
I went up to 45 in the fronts because I chalked my tires and found I was riding on the sidewall with less pressure. I have the standard beginner issue of entering a corner with too much speed and plowing the front end. The higher pressure in the front allows me to, not bleed off as much speed as I normally would have to, to keep from hitting cones. I keep the rear lower because I don’t want to break traction, as any wheel spin will slow the car and cost time, I use 40psi because if go to a lower pressure I start the riding on the sidewall again.

In the end tire pressure is a factor of
1) Tire construction constraints
2) Vehicle suspension, weight, and speed
3) Driver skill level
4) Road surface type and condition

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
I just checked the entry list. I've been put in the "Street Modified" [SM] Class because of my plugs, wires, MAF ends, 18" wheels and wider tires, and carbon fiber hood. I'll be racing against an interesting list of cars, including two Mustang Cobras, a Mitzu 3000GT, a Dodge Neon, a Subaru Impreza, a Honda Civic, an Eagle Talon TSi, a Volvo 740, and even a 1966 Corvair!

I can't wait. Sure hope I can give the Cobras a run for their money. :D

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
My money's on the Corvair. Sorry Florit. :sneaky:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts