LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i find my clutch to be real sensitive when taking off in 1st gear.what seems to be the smoothest handling,do you ease off the clutch a little before applying gas pedal????forevernights100

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
How long have you been driving your GTO? Do you have experience driving manual transmissions?

I have about 2600 miles on the car now and I've gotten much, much better at shifting smoothly. Also at pulling away from the red lights like I know what I'm doing. Give it some time. She'll come to you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sensitve clutch

FLORIT said:
How long have you been driving your GTO? Do you have experience driving manual transmissions?

I have about 2600 miles on the car now and I've gotten much, much better at shifting smoothly. Also at pulling away from the red lights like I know what I'm doing. Give it some time. She'll come to you.
at work i drive manual occasionally,i also had 6 speed mazda rx8 for about a week,everything is pretty smooth,just leaving from stop to go in 1st gear.advice???

·
Registered
20 Posts
Practice, practice, practice. I drive my M6 daily and I knew it would be a while before I could make it go without looking like I did not know what I was doing, but I am better at it now; and the car is more of a pleasure to drive every day.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Try letting out until you see a little resistance and then apply the throttle while you let out the clutch. I was dumping the clutch a little too fast until I started doing it this way.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I've been driving manual transmissions off and on ever since I started driving longer ago than I care to admit. After a while it will become second nature. Smooth starts in the GTO M6 are actually quite easy because there is so much low end torque. Basically, let the clutch out slowly until you feel it start to grab. Then as you continue to let out, gently feed in the throttle. You want to get to the point where releasing the clutch is one smooth motion and you smoothly feed in the throttle at right time. You'll get better with practice, and practice means you have to drive your GTO more. I'm sure you're disappointed about that.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Tigger said:
...Basically, let the clutch out slowly until you feel it start to grab. Then as you continue to let out, gently feed in the throttle. You want to get to the point where releasing the clutch is one smooth motion and you smoothly feed in the throttle at right time.
Right on.
And as you get better you can accelerate the process and make the tires squeal with out actually spinning them. Add that noise to the exhaust and your in heaven.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts