LS1GTO Forums banner

Will the Magnaflow be quiet enough/no power loss(from LM II) to be worth buying

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
CAUTION!!!!
Joined
·
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figure I'd post here then in the exhaust section cause you all know me and I'd hope to get honest answers from everyone.

Ok, the only thing I would be willing to change out is cat backs and I'm looking to go to the Magnaflow because its still a straight through, just with alot more sound dampening then the LM II. The reason why I'm even thinking about this is because work and just getting tired of getting pulled over for loud exhaust.


So... my question is do you think that a.) will the Magnaflow be noticably quieter then the LM II and b.) will I loose any performance with going that route?

This isn't going to be a buying it tomorrow thing, I'm actually going to have to sell stock parts (if there is even a market) to buy it, but I am just getting tired actually of taking it too easy on the car so I don't get noticed with the sound.
 

·
Member #804
Joined
·
5,539 Posts
Why not just put a stock catback on? Still get reasonable performance and sound.

Or you could put magnaflow mufflers the SLP exhaust you already have?

Corsa Touring is also good.
 

·
Parting My GTO Out
Joined
·
1,833 Posts
GMH GTO said:
Why not just put a stock catback on? Still get reasonable performance and sound.

Or you could put magnaflow mufflers the SLP exhaust you already have?

Corsa Touring is also good.

Good suggestions. You could go the cheaper route and just put the stock cb on. Then you could pocket the money from the LM.
 

·
CAUTION!!!!
Joined
·
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the Stock system is long gone and ....just personal preference here... just dont want to go back to 2 1/4 pipes.

The problem with just getting mufflers (which I though of) is that the SLP exhaust doesnt put the mufflers in the same location as stock, so new mufflers wouldn't just bolt up and if I got to go to a muffler shop to had stuff extended/welded in, it would be easier for me just to get the whole new system.
 

·
Senior's Member
Joined
·
2,853 Posts
First - 'what's the matter Steve, gettin' old'????????????

Next, go see Jimmy at James Dean. He will take your LMII and add muffler. Le$$ than starting over.

Three - RSC (Corsa) look it up. It's amazing.

Signed, Gramps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
728 Posts
gotzaGTO said:
just getting tired of getting pulled over for loud exhaust.
Dude...come on...you ARE the PO PO! You are one of the few who can :quoties: get out of jail free :quoties: ! If you want quiet, I would just do a custom 3" system and buy my extra mufflers.
 

·
got goat milk?
Joined
·
361 Posts
gotzaGTO said:
I figure I'd post here then in the exhaust section cause you all know me and I'd hope to get honest answers from everyone.

Ok, the only thing I would be willing to change out is cat backs and I'm looking to go to the Magnaflow because its still a straight through, just with alot more sound dampening then the LM II. The reason why I'm even thinking about this is because work and just getting tired of getting pulled over for loud exhaust.


So... my question is do you think that a.) will the Magnaflow be noticably quieter then the LM II and b.) will I loose any performance with going that route?

This isn't going to be a buying it tomorrow thing, I'm actually going to have to sell stock parts (if there is even a market) to buy it, but I am just getting tired actually of taking it too easy on the car so I don't get noticed with the sound.
how bout keep the catback and just replace the LM muffler (altually resonator) with quieter muffler?
 

·
dum dum dum dum dudum
Joined
·
6,217 Posts
If you want quiet go Borla. However I prefer Spintech. Quiet during normal cruising and very nice at WOT. I have yet to find a single person who baught a Spintech and was not happy with it.
 

·
Let's roll...
Joined
·
1,036 Posts
Well...I have the Corso Touring and while the exhaust note is nice during idle and cruising speeds, the second you step on it you are heard from EVERY direction.

Bottom Line: With your mods, the only way to keep it quiet is to keep it under 3k.
 

·
CAUTION!!!!
Joined
·
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its not that I'm getting old, its just that I want to be abe to drive my car without worrying about getting stopped all the time.... I think me and Brad might have an idea on how to fix this...
 

·
Parting My GTO Out
Joined
·
1,833 Posts
gotzaGTO said:
I think me and Brad might have an idea on how to fix this...

Care to share?
 

·
CAUTION!!!!
Joined
·
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ShaneD_06GTO said:
Care to share?

well, he has SW turbo mufflers that he's not using and if I can get someone to custom bend SS, then it will be a ton cheaper and quieter... I'm worried about HP loss with the turbo mufflers, but if its a big loss, I'll keep the LM II for like Nats and stuff like that....

We'll see though... its just a thought.
 

·
Oh my f*ck!
Joined
·
6,464 Posts
The Magnaflow flows better than the SLP...It's got a bigger ID (the SLP mufflers go down to 2" internally, the Magnaflows do not). I have seen the difference on a flow bench.
 

·
CAUTION!!!!
Joined
·
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
phobos512 said:
The Magnaflow flows better than the SLP...It's got a bigger ID (the SLP mufflers go down to 2" internally, the Magnaflows do not). I have seen the difference on a flow bench.

AWSOME!!! now what about sound? do you think it will be quieter then the SLPs??? not like crazy quiet, but quieter?
 

·
Oh my f*ck!
Joined
·
6,464 Posts
gotzaGTO said:
AWSOME!!! now what about sound? do you think it will be quieter then the SLPs??? not like crazy quiet, but quieter?
There's another thread where someone swapped an LM1 for a Magnaflow and they thought it sounded somewhat quieter and more refined...

On my car with the shorties, cats, and the Magnaflow (albeit a modified one for the 06 bumper) my feeling is that it is anything but refined (but that's how I want it). In my opinion, the car loses some of it's V8 characteristic sound until you get over say 40ish % throttle...It's a smoother tone like say a Ferrari V8 (but not exactly, it's really hard to describe). But at WOT there's no mistaking it for an American V8...god I love the sound it makes at WOT when it shifts :)

EDIT
this is what it sounded like before tailpipes (with mufflers though) after I got the 06 bumper...Apparently it's the last vid I did (and my video camera blew up so I no longer can make a new one): http://media.putfile.com/Exhaust-without-tips-and-06-Bumper

EDIT 2
I should note that the above video shows just what a difference tailpipes make, the car was SIGNIFICANTLY louder without tailpipes...However the "character" of the sound was the same. The tailpipes made it quieter and smoother, I guess because of their smoothing out the exhaust flow after the mufflers.

EDIT3
Here's that other thread I was talking about: http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106363
 

·
silver m6
Joined
·
240 Posts
I went to James Dean for work on my GTP and had no problems. 2 weeks ago I went there and his office smelled like dog ass and his tech was just a dick. I sent him customers in the past, but after this. HE'S OUT.
 

·
Thats not right.....
Joined
·
670 Posts
How many times ahve you been pullled over for the sound? I have still not gotten pulled over.

And my vote is NO!
 

·
CAUTION!!!!
Joined
·
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
CosmosGoat said:
How many times ahve you been pullled over for the sound? I have still not gotten pulled over.

And my vote is NO!
so far 3.... and I'm just getting tired of it. DOn't get me wrong, I like the sound I got, but its sounding like the Magnaflow flows better then the SLP and if its quieter... I gaining performance and getting rid of attention.
 

·
OG 05 Owner and FPFQAF
Joined
·
2,610 Posts
i've got a 6 liter, so its not a completely equal comparison, but I love my magnaflows... i've gutted my cats and deleted the resinator, its quiet with normal driving, and when i get on it I set off car alarms. I've never been pulled over for my exhaust, but since i grew up in frankfort, i know how big of douche bags the OhPo (orland police)...well, anyway, heres a clip of my magnaflows on my ls2
http://media.putfile.com/drivin-my-goat
P.S. thought i might add that this was filmed with a regular digital camera, not a camcorder, so the sound does not do it justice....
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top