LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I did a quick search and learned you can access the menu by pressing the two buttons at the same time to the right of the steering wheel before turning the key on.
when I do this I get

ver 5G 00.004.000
serial no YB021304

does this tell me what code im throwing?

any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1,000 miles.

The car is modded. I checked coolant level, oil, all the obvious stuff.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
service vehicle

·
Premium Member
6,768 Posts
The cluster can't tell you what code is being thrown... only an ODB-II codereader can. If whomever tuned your car doesn't have one, find an AutoZone... they can read your code...

·
Premium Member
7,700 Posts
RobertHammen said:
The cluster can't tell you what code is being thrown... only an ODB-II codereader can. If whomever tuned your car doesn't have one, find an AutoZone... they can read your code...
The 04 has no trouble getting codes read, the 05/06 does have problems. I can't read codes on mine with any of the scanners they use as AZ, and my Snap On will not read it either. OTC Genysis does though, but that's the only one i've had work for me. Something with the programing langauge or something.

·
Premium Member
6,768 Posts
'05-'06 are CANBUS... wonder if that has anything to do with it? It's still OBD-II...

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well,

just took the car for a spin around the block and it never did it again.

I was originally a little low on coolant. maybe that was the problem. once I filled it, and gave the car time to reset itself.....maybe the problem is gone?

I will still have it scanned just to see if any codes are stored.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ohh, and thanks for the quick replies guys.

its nice to have help out there when ya need it.

·
Premium Member
7,700 Posts
maybelooking said:
well,

just took the car for a spin around the block and it never did it again.

I was originally a little low on coolant. maybe that was the problem. once I filled it, and gave the car time to reset itself.....maybe the problem is gone?

I will still have it scanned just to see if any codes are stored.
Ya, doubt anything is stored, different system.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well, it came on again this morning.

scanned it and there are no codes. anyone have a clue? or am I destined to pay the dealer to check it?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fox Mulder said:
Scanned it with what?
I have an AutoXray EZ-Scan that can read the 05-06.

whatever AutoZone uses. it was an orange scanner. I saw the screen that said "no codes returned" but as far as what brand scanner it was, I have no idea.

·
Administrator
9,491 Posts
Well given what's been posted about Autozone scanners that may not be accurate.
Also is the orange check engine light on (the one that has an engine icon)? That's the one that will be on if an OBDII code is stored. If you're getting a service vehicle message in the digital display but no orange light then a scanner won't tell you anything, the dealer would have to read it.

·
Might wanna knock first...
4,355 Posts
CEL can be on regardless of fault status (active/stored...pending faults will not trigger a MIL until the next ignition cycle).

Any CAN-capable scanner will show the fault, i.e., there are no 'inaccurate' scan tools...they will either display the fault, or won't communicate w/the vehicle.

A 'service vehicle' message in the cluster is NOT the same as a Check engine light.

Which is it maybelooking?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
the little red engine light IS NOT ON.

its the "service vehicle soon" message in the center display.

·
Might wanna knock first...
4,355 Posts
You sure this isn't the oil life monitor telling you to change your oil?

I can't recall what the specific message is...mine's come on only once in 17,000 miles. :sneaky:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts