LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not finding the answer on this that I'm looking for. I have a Service Vehicle Soon Light(the one with the car and wrench) that came on last night on the way to the gas station. I dont have any oil lights or CEL's on, just the SVS Light on. I have tried the gas pedal 3 times and still not reset? The manual says this light will come on when it detects a problem with the vehicle? What is the CEL for then? It says that this could be an issue with the DRL or headlamp system malfunction. Manual is telling me to take it to the dealer. Car seems to be driving just fine and I have no headlamps or taillamps that have bulbs out. Any ideas or anyone experiencing this issue?

·
Premium Member
13,102 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just go by a auto zone to see if they can read the code,
I could do this but I would first have to drive the car there(if it is oil related I wouldn't want to do this) and to ddawson's point, techII would be the only way to get the code since it is not a MIL triggered issue. Two seperate computer systems from what I have read.

Mine was the oil sensor.
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268389&highlight=service+Vehicle+soon

I read your post in another thread and a decided to head to the zone and pick up an oil sensor($40) and I will replace it tomorrow and see if that helps. Figured that it was cheaper than heading to the dealer for their hour diag. Funny thing is I went to Autozone and the guy behind the counter was driving a 04 GTO as well.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I had that pop up once. It went away and never came back.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I have never seen it pop on until now and it won't go away now. Hopefully this Oil Pressure Sensor will correct the issue so that I can go on driving and get the H/C install going.

·
Administrator
21,142 Posts
Get a real code scanner and log to see whats going on.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, just throwing random parts at the car is going to be your solution? Let us know how that works out for you.
Nice... I'm not just throwing random parts at the car as the Oil Sensor seems to be a common problem and will cause this SVS light to come on. The light is not a MIL/CEL or else I would just pull the code with a generic scanner. I don't have a techII readily available to pull codes, so to me it is worth the $40 spent to know that I'm not actually having an issue with the common Oil Sensor failure is well worth the money me. The $40 is less than a tow and I would feel more comfortable driving the car to get it checked knowing that I'm not having a oil issue. As of right now I don't know exactly why the light is on and I'm sure not going to drive it to have the system scanned by a techII not knowing if I actually have oil pressure or not.

If you don't have anything valuable to add to my thread save you time in typing up a reply. Thanks to those that have replied and actually added good comments.

·
Registered
216 Posts
3 times with the gas pedal doesnt work.Try this..Using the mode computer,press down the up and down arrows together and turn on the key.Hold for 2 or 3 seconds and a service screen reset will appear..If its an oil service light it this menu will allow you to clear it....

·
Premium Member
13,102 Posts
Service Vehicle Soon is not the same Engine oil service.

Engine oil service = Change your oil please.
Service Vehicle Soon = A fault was detected, please fix it.
Check Engine Light = ODB2 has detected an issue, please fix it.

·
GR-RRR!
8,523 Posts
Nice... I'm not just throwing random parts at the car as the Oil Sensor seems to be a common problem and will cause this SVS light to come on. The light is not a MIL/CEL or else I would just pull the code with a generic scanner. I don't have a techII readily available to pull codes, so to me it is worth the $40 spent to know that I'm not actually having an issue with the common Oil Sensor failure is well worth the money me. The $40 is less than a tow and I would feel more comfortable driving the car to get it checked knowing that I'm not having a oil issue. As of right now I don't know exactly why the light is on and I'm sure not going to drive it to have the system scanned by a techII not knowing if I actually have oil pressure or not.

If you don't have anything valuable to add to my thread save you time in typing up a reply. Thanks to those that have replied and actually added good comments.
Okay, here's some solid advice: get it scanned by a professional with the proper tool. If the oil sensor ISN'T bad you will have wasted $40 and you may still have an oiling problem which could cost you far more than $40.

If you were ill would you tell the doctor to just remove your spleen because you've read that that is a pretty common solution to the problem? Or instead, would you expect the doctor to do some tests to find out exactly what is wrong and attack the issue at the source before it gets worse?

·
<_________________>
405 Posts
Have you ever had your car tuned?
Do you have headers?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay, here's some solid advice: get it scanned by a professional with the proper tool. If the oil sensor ISN'T bad you will have wasted $40 and you may still have an oiling problem which could cost you far more than $40.

If you were ill would you tell the doctor to just remove your spleen because you've read that that is a pretty common solution to the problem? Or instead, would you expect the doctor to do some tests to find out exactly what is wrong and attack the issue at the source before it gets worse?
First of all, A spline and my health are completely different than this a car. If I would have had a check engine light, I would have gone to see the Dr(scanner/dealer). If I notice that I've got a headache, I'm not going to run to the Dr to get checked out(have you seen your health insurance rise lately?) just the same if I have my oil change light on I'm not running down to jiffy lube or where ever.

I put my $40 part in a magically enought the light has gone off. So now, I have save myself at least $150 by not going to the dealer. Thanks to those that were able to give me good advice on what could be the issue which saved me money. Maybe it could have cost me more but it all about learning. I would hope that some of the purpose of these forums is to help educate others and maybe offer solutions to help cure problems that one might have.

·
My little money pit
726 Posts
First of all, A spline and my health are completely different than this a car. If I would have had a check engine light, I would have gone to see the Dr(scanner/dealer). If I notice that I've got a headache, I'm not going to run to the Dr to get checked out(have you seen your health insurance rise lately?) just the same if I have my oil change light on I'm not running down to jiffy lube or where ever.

I put my $40 part in a magically enought the light has gone off. So now, I have save myself at least $150 by not going to the dealer. Thanks to those that were able to give me good advice on what could be the issue which saved me money. Maybe it could have cost me more but it all about learning. I would hope that some of the purpose of these forums is to help educate others and maybe offer solutions to help cure problems that one might have.

My Check Liver light came on once and they tried to remove my spleen. :)

·
Administrator
21,142 Posts
I put my $40 part in a magically enought the light has gone off. So now, I have save myself at least $150 by not going to the dealer.
Lets see if it stays off. If you did fix it, you got lucky, nothing more.

Thanks to those that were able to give me good advice on what could be the issue which saved me money. Maybe it could have cost me more but it all about learning.
If you really wanted to learn something you should have figured out what the real issue was causing the light, instead you spun the wheel of fortune.

I would hope that some of the purpose of these forums is to help educate others and maybe offer solutions to help cure problems that one might have.
That is one of the many services this forum offers, for free even. What boggles my mind is some people come in here looking for someone to tell them what they WANT to know, not what they NEED to know, and then get pissed off and angry when people point that fact out. Dont bitch about free advice, it just silly.

·
Kermit Rolls in His 6.6
1,706 Posts
Mine came on to this morning. I'm kind of wondering if it is a O2 sensor going bad. I did notice mine comes on at startup and if i'm at idle at a stop light

1 - 20 of 35 Posts