LS1GTO Forums banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
Mine came on to this morning. I'm kind of wondering if it is a O2 sensor going bad. I did notice mine comes on at startup and if i'm at idle at a stop light
I'd replace all four O2 sensors, MAP Sensor, Oil Pressure sensor and IAT sensor. Nah, screw that...change the engine out, along with the cats just to be safe.

Gerry

·
Premium Member
4,009 Posts
I started my car for the first time in a few months after the latest round of mods, and have the same code on the lcd. I think I'll change the wiper blades.

But honestly I suspect it's because I removed the maf. But the car is sd tune. Gotta plug up the hp tuners and check this out a bit more.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I say try it.

i know this thread is old...but did it work? im having the same issue, most thread say replace the sensor
Yes it worked for him and a couple of others it looks like. This guy was criticized by a couple of members after he "threw" his money at this part to see if worked. But it did work. This guy wasn't an idiot, but he left the forum probably because many others assumed that he was and treated him accordingly.

I would say go for it. Even if the dealer charged you ~$100 to scan and inspect the car, this part is $40. Based on what you researched, would you say there's a 40% chance that this is the problem?

If you check your MAF sensor (other common people have brought up regarding this symtom), and try to test to see if you have oil pressure in some way (probably most important), it's my opinion you should try swapping the part after that based on the likelihood that it fixes the problem. If it persists after that, then you have a rare issue that needs to be looked into more seriously.

·
GR-RRR!
8,557 Posts
You know, if my car had a potential oiling problem I sure as hell would want to know if it was a faulty sensor or a real oiling issue right away. Throwing a $40 part at the problem because it is cheap and easy seems an unreasonable gamble on possibly loosing an entire engine while waiting to see if the sensor makes the issue go away for good.

So, the OP gambled and won and we should be impressed he came out okay?

Oiling system failures on LS engines are not entirely "rare" unfortunately. The engine could be entirely destroyed running the engine long enough to determine whether or not the new sensor eliminates fresh codes/messages from being set.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know its a dead post but i figured id help people out that are reading it.

Plz test before replacing anything. It just makes sense

There are test procedures for every sensor. In the case of an Oil pressure sensor it has a signal and reference wire. Simply check voltage at reference with koeo compare that to specs on test procedure then check with koer it should fall within specs as well. If not it doesnt test within spec on both tests replace sensor pretty simple way to not waste money replacing un necessary parts and not paying out the a** for diagnostics.

·
Administrator
21,148 Posts
I know its a dead post but i figured id help people out that are reading it.

Plz test before replacing anything. It just makes sense

There are test procedures for every sensor. In the case of an Oil pressure sensor it has a signal and reference wire. Simply check voltage at reference with koeo compare that to specs on test procedure then check with koer it should fall within specs as well. If not it doesnt test within spec on both tests replace sensor pretty simple way to not waste money replacing un necessary parts and not paying out the a** for diagnostics.
Nah mang just toss parts until one sticks and then claim victory.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine came on to this morning. I'm kind of wondering if it is a O2 sensor going bad. I did notice mine comes on at startup and if i'm at idle at a stop light
Mine comes on when I start the car. I then hit the reset and it goes away. I have no noticed that the odometer won't turn off when the key is removed and the door is shut.Everytime I start it the service vehicle soon lite comes back
on.

·
Worthless reject member
55,338 Posts
Mine comes on when I start the car. I then hit the reset and it goes away. I have no noticed that the odometer won't turn off when the key is removed and the door is shut.Everytime I start it the service vehicle soon lite comes back
on.
iirc, the most common cause of "service vehicle soon" being displayed in the DIC is the oil pressure sending unit failing high.

if the oil pressure sensor fails low, it will show a "check engine oil" message on the DIC.

"service engine oil" is the oil change reminder, for reference. (which, oddly enough, i never remember seeing on either of my vehicles.)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just got this, first time in 13 years since I've owned it. Probably take it to a dealership to have it tested, it's a toy and hasn't cost me any money lately. Was thinking about changing out the fluids in it as well, clutch, brake, power steering and oil for good measure. Installed a new radiator in January with new coolant, so good there. Wondering if it can sense some of these old fluids need to be changed and that is tripping the light.

·
GR-RRR!
8,557 Posts
Just got this, first time in 13 years since I've owned it. Probably take it to a dealership to have it tested, it's a toy and hasn't cost me any money lately. Was thinking about changing out the fluids in it as well, clutch, brake, power steering and oil for good measure. Installed a new radiator in January with new coolant, so good there. Wondering if it can sense some of these old fluids need to be changed and that is tripping the light.
No, the car does not and cannot monitor the fluids for age. The brake system will set a light if the fluid level falls too far. The rest are entirely up to the owner/service people to monitor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had same problem and it was a $10 oil sensor unit. The service vehicle soon warning went away.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts