LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I bought my car last year I have had problems with a shaking steering wheel. It only happens on smooth roads at speeds over 50. Its been to the dealer atleast 5-6 times for this. They gave me three new tires have done 4 wheel alinement and numorous other things. They seemed to have got it under control but I can still feel it a little. I had my bumper off yesterday and saw the tires are worn on the inside and the outside. Any idea whats going on? I still have a year on the waranty so I will take it back again. I was hoping one of you might have had the same problem and might know of a service bulletin.

Thanx for any help

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have the same issue. Working with the dealer right now. Balanced wheels so far. Taking it back on weds for another look.

·
:mrrg:
10,466 Posts
I'm no expert but tires worn on the inside and outside could be underinflated. My 05 has a slight shimmy at about 60 that I can feel through the steering wheel. My guess would be radius rod or strut top bushings. I know alot of guys say the radius rod bushings are junk.. I think my car has an alignment issue. I did notice when I rotated my tires that the left front had some cupping on the inside tread. Jet also has a thread about truing up the tires. I think they shave some rubber off them to make them perfectly round.. I would mention the bushings to your dealer.. I guess you could also show them this thread.. http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106059

·
Still a communist state
12,479 Posts
My suspension feels nice and dandy but i think my rotors are warped,under heavy breaking the whole front end rattles and shakes like crazy

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Had my new Nitto Invos shaved and balanced on-car last Friday as a matter of fact. Runs smooth as butter.......front Baer brake rotors are warped though so I'll have to deal with that issue this week. Thinking of going with Wilwoods six piston calipers.......shoulda went with them in the first place I guess.

JET

·
Just Having Fun!
1,736 Posts
I have a steering wheel shimmy issue also. I replaced my stock 17" rims/tires with 18" ROH Drift-R/Toy T1R and the shimmy disappeared. I would also check if the rim is bent.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Yup, the road force balance and new tires did the trick (95%) on my 2004. Sometimes I could still detect a little shake. Whatever you do, try to avoid Discount Tire.

·
Autobahn Fahrer
2,811 Posts

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
larrygto said:
Since I bought my car last year I have had problems with a shaking steering wheel. It only happens on smooth roads at speeds over 50. Its been to the dealer atleast 5-6 times for this. They gave me three new tires have done 4 wheel alinement and numorous other things. They seemed to have got it under control but I can still feel it a little. I had my bumper off yesterday and saw the tires are worn on the inside and the outside. Any idea whats going on? I still have a year on the waranty so I will take it back again. I was hoping one of you might have had the same problem and might know of a service bulletin.

Thanx for any help
1. Is the shake at speed or when you apply the brakes?
2. How many miles were on the car when the issue started?
3. How many miles are on the car and tires now?

·
Premium Member
2,171 Posts
JusticePete said:
1. Is the shake at speed or when you apply the brakes?
2. How many miles were on the car when the issue started?
3. How many miles are on the car and tires now?
I'm having the same problem so I'll start. Car has had alighnment done about 3500 miles ago. No help...
1. It's at speed. Most pronounced at approx. 60mph. But shake is there between 60-75 or so. Seems to be worse when it's hot out and not as bad when heading home at night from work (2am). Hmmm?
2.Car had 1900 on it when I got it. All stock w/ 17's and perfect orig. tires. 19" beyerns w/ toyo t1-r's went on at approx. 3000 miles. Problem has always been there. Albeit not as bad with the orig. rims/tires.
3.Car now has 10500 on it. So 7500 miles on new wheels/tires.

·
Autobahn Fahrer
2,811 Posts
BBGTO said:
I'm having the same problem so I'll start. Car has had alighnment done about 3500 miles ago. No help...
1. It's at speed. Most pronounced at approx. 60mph. But shake is there between 60-75 or so. Seems to be worse when it's hot out and not as bad when heading home at night from work (2am). Hmmm?
2.Car had 1900 on it when I got it. All stock w/ 17's and perfect orig. tires. 19" beyerns w/ toyo t1-r's went on at approx. 3000 miles. Problem has always been there. Albeit not as bad with the orig. rims/tires.
Sounds like like my issue to a "T" reading and reading here...keep hearing the same responses.

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
BBGTO said:
1. Was there any difference with your new wheels and tires?
2. Has the dealer checked the runout on the wheel hubs?

·
Waiting for GF4
2,942 Posts
BBGTO said:

This is almost my issue to a T as well. Here is my situation

1.Stock 17's with Nittos all is good

2.Went To AZA Z 1's staggered set up, 18x9.5 on back 18x8.5 on fronts. Toyo T1'rs. Shake started 50 and increased to 65 and then went away. I have had these wheels balanced 3 times and they are coming off the machine balanced (have not tried Road force yet so that is next)

3. Issue seems to change a bit with temps when hot a little worse when cold not quite as bad.

Any thoughts? Have been searching and this thread is the closest to my deal

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
LS2BlueGoat said:
This is almost my issue to a T as well. Here is my situation

1.Stock 17's with Nittos all is good

2.Went To AZA Z 1's staggered set up, 18x9.5 on back 18x8.5 on fronts. Toyo T1'rs. Shake started 50 and increased to 65 and then went away. I have had these wheels balanced 3 times and they are coming off the machine balanced (have not tried Road force yet so that is next)

3. Issue seems to change a bit with temps when hot a little worse when cold not quite as bad.

Any thoughts? Have been searching and this thread is the closest to my deal
The prior post has a similar but different issue because his is with OE and aftermarket wheels and 'has always' been there. The source may coincidentally be the same but different.

If the car is fine with the Nittos and you have the vibration with your Toyos it is either a tire, a wheel or the wheel lug torque. A Road Force Balance will provide an answer on the wheel tire possibilities. Removing your front wheels and switching sides or rotating them on the lug patter two lug positions can be done in your driveway. When you replace the lug nuts snug three of them up SLOWLY in triangular pattern. Finger tighten all three, then put a turn on each until it is time to torque them to 90 lbs. The do the same with the remaining two lug nuts. This will insure the wheels are centered and the torque is lighter than OE spec which is 100lbs. If the vibration changes or goes away you will know it is hub distortion caused by over or uneven torque.

·
Waiting for GF4
2,942 Posts
JusticePete said:
The prior post has a similar but different issue because his is with OE and aftermarket wheels and 'has always' been there. The source may coincidentally be the same but different.

If the car is fine with the Nittos and you have the vibration with your Toyos it is either a tire, a wheel or the wheel lug torque. A Road Force Balance will provide an answer on the wheel tire possibilities. Removing your front wheels and switching sides or rotating them on the lug patter two lug positions can be done in your driveway. When you replace the lug nuts snug three of them up SLOWLY in triangular pattern. Finger tighten all three, then put a turn on each until it is time to torque them to 90 lbs. The do the same with the remaining two lug nuts. This will insure the wheels are centered and the torque is lighter than OE spec which is 100lbs. If the vibration changes or goes away you will know it is hub distortion caused by over or uneven torque.

Thanks I am going to give that a try.

·
Autobahn Fahrer
2,811 Posts
LS2BlueGoat said:
Thanks I am going to give that a try.
And...you'll be back.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts