LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here it is - very nice car, red vert. Grey would be proud.

Rick-click, save-as:
http://padrenet.com/hlink/tristar-opening/tristar-dyno-shelby-gt500.wmv

416 bone stock, only running it out to 5800 or so (IIRC). 406 on the first run, only because it was less than 5800. He'll be adding a pulley and a couple of other mods this week. Perhaps with Meth and a tune we're looking at close to 500. AFR from the factory was pretty much 12.0 (contrasted with an older Cobra whose stock tune went to almost 10.0 at WOT).

We had a great turnout of GTOs at the grand opening for Tri Star Automotive Performance in Tyrone, Georgia today. Hopefully I'll get my friend Robert to sign up as a sponsor soon.

Here are some pics of the Shelby:

Padre

·
Registered
593 Posts
Those rwhp #s sound about right with the 500 hp rating. Nice car. Buy one for sticker?

·
Let's roll...
1,036 Posts
I like my GTO better, but nice car nonetheless. :)

·
8,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JRM346 said:
Those rwhp #s sound about right with the 500 hp rating. Nice car. Buy one for sticker?
I think he paid $5k over sticker. And from what I've seen, I'm betting they'll be getting close to 500 RWhp with minor mods as I mentioned. It was very interesting to compare a stock GT500's tune with an older SC'd Cobra. The older ones were super conservative, but it seems the GT500 has a pretty aggressive tune from the factory.

I'll post up results when they start modding it.

Very respectable car. The interior was so-so, not as good as a Goat, but it was nice. And on the exterior, it's hard to tell it apart from a GT.

But I wouldn't want to run into one. Sure, I'd kick it's ass, but I'd have to break a sweat doing so. Hehehe.

Padre

·
Kernal Sanders
0 Posts
Was the owner nice or .... are the claims true about the power band and the gears? (the gearing and stock tune being wrong for the power band and the car picking up power from new gears )

·
7,835 Posts
was that a 3rd gear pull....that didnt last very long.

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
Those things are gonna make some awesome power once the aftermarket picks up like it has for the 03/04 Cobras....but damn, can't get over how cheap they look all around.

·
2004 Pulse Red A4
1,759 Posts
The little thing that bugs me the most is that Ford doesn't even give you painted side mirrors! Flat black plastic. :barf: My '91 Ford T-bird looked like ass after 3-4 years 'cause all the flat black trim faded.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I could've sworn I heard the dyno crying about being crushed by the gt500's weight!!?!

Now what about this, a stock LS2 puts down around 340rwhp, but that gt500 puts down "only" 416? To me that sounds low, especially being the drivetrain should be more efficient with the solid axle. Could be that it was run to 5800rpm but redline is 6000 so he was taking it just a hair from redline, no much differance in power in 200rpms.

·
Registered
852 Posts
MikeZ28 said:
The little thing that bugs me the most is that Ford doesn't even give you painted side mirrors! Flat black plastic. :barf: My '91 Ford T-bird looked like ass after 3-4 years 'cause all the flat black trim faded.
X2, the interior is a JOKE for a car costing buyers 50-60K+. No HID's either, it's a true stripped muscle car for sure.

I'm not gonna bash the cars potential though, with common bolt-on's it will fly, it's just too bad Ford is cheapening the materials in a car which is priced so high.

·
GO STEELERS!
5,106 Posts
Weight to power ratio is kinda dissapointing.

·
1 of 40,757
6,484 Posts
nice power but they just dont look right TO ME... the interior really leaves a lot to be desired especially compared to our cava.. err gto's. ;)

·
Kernal Sanders
0 Posts
looking at the pics nice orange peel above the Gas cap....looks like aussies aren't the only ones who dont know how to paint.......

·
8,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
AnoxieGTO said:
looking at the pics nice orange peel above the Gas cap....looks like aussies aren't the only ones who dont know how to paint.......
Nah, that's just a reflection.

All in all, the fit and finish of the car was very good.

What I respect is that the owner's going to mod it and drive it. It'll be fearsome at the track.

Did anyone check the sizes of the rear tires? If it's like the old Cobras, he'll be able to put some 315 drag radials on the back, which'll be pretty awesome.

Padre

1 - 20 of 70 Posts