LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

· Premium Member
9,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Seven months in the making, the moment you all have been waiting for is finally here, the IPC shift light for the 2004-2005 GTO has returned! (with some other impressive features to boot!)

Beginning Monday February 21st I will begin accepting orders for instrument cluster reprogramming including the sought after shift light/buzzer.

This modification is a must for any serious GTO enthusiast who wants to get the most out of his or her six speed equipped Goat; without adding a bulky non-OEM shift light or tachometer. The shift light alerts you in two ways, the first being a *BRIGHT* red LED at the end of the tachometer, being the only red indicator on during normal operation it’s sure to let you know it’s time to shift. In addition an audible warning is also triggered at the same time as the light in case it’s a bright sunny day. This dual warning system makes it damn near foolproof, all you have to do is shift! In addition at speeds less than ~10mph the IPC displays "Engine Redline Reached" and at speeds above 10mph the IPC displays "Change Up Gear".

These modifications are non-invasive and do not require physically modifying your instrument cluster so you can be assured it will be just as pristine as when you sent it in!
Pricing for this modification (and others, please see attached outline of features) is set at $120 USD + actual return shipping costs. Turnaround time should be no later than the same day it is received if it makes it into my hands before 1:00PM EST.

Attached is a list of options that may be chosen for instrument programming, all of these options are included in the cost of programming. These options include a current gear indicator, Daytime Running Light Removal, startup logo customization and many more! Also attached is a link to a movie of the light in action, as you can see there is no way to mistake that it’s time to shift!!

If you have any further questions, please feel free to post them here or PM me, to place an order PM me as well!

Shift Light In Action (Video)

HSV Startup Logo

HSV Shutdown Screen (Odometer)

FAQ About Cluster Programming.

Q. If the dealer reflashes or updates my cluster will it affect your modifications?

A. Nope, not in the least. Obviously if they replace the cluster all functions will be lost, however simply ship me the new cluster and I'll make the new one function exactly the same as the old one; free of charge! (Must include return shipping)

Q. I just got some more mods installed on my car and need a higher shift point programmed, what do I do?

A. Simply ship it back and for a $10 fee (plus return shipping)I will adjust your shift points to your liking as well as adding or removing any current features (all inclusive in the $10 fee).

Q. What kind of options are available?

A. Check the cluster.doc document attached to this post for a current option listing.

Q. What shipping method should I use?

A. Use UPS or FedEx since they are a trackable means of getting your cluster here and returning it to you. Don't pack with styrofoam peanuts, instead use foam or another type of shipping material. Make sure you insure the package for at least $500.

Q. How quickly can you turn my cluster around?

A. As long as the cluster makes to me before 1:00PM EST it will go out the same day. This does not apply to hardware modifications which have a 2-3 day turn around time!!

Attachments

· Premium Member
9,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On paper no, it shouldnt mess with the changes I make, I'll be updating a cluster this week just to make sure. If by some freak accident the dealer fried your cluster or you had to have it replaced for whatever reason I'd take care of it for you.

· Premium Member
9,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shu said:
So if we are local is it possible to bring you our car and have it done?
Of course! You'll negate the shipping charges obviously :) PM me to setup an appointment.

I also just added a picture of the HSV Startup/Shutdown pic to the original post.

· Premium Member
9,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
When the cluster is on the 10 letter alphanumerics disappear, these appear when the car is off. The cluster is REAL simple to remove, two bolts hold the bezel trim on, once thats off 4 bolts to get the cluster out, it's cake and shouldnt make ANYTHING rattle! :)

· THE ROKET WAS SOLD ON 6/22/14
13,930 Posts
Cool, I'll contact you when I get back from vacation, I don't want to risk it sitting on my front steps while I'm gone. Leaving March 8th, and if you get stuck with a lot of these to do, mine just might not make it back in time......

Thanks,
ROK

· Premium Member
9,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I set it up demand wise so that if I get it in by 1:00PM they should go out the same day, but I totally understand where you are coming from! Let me know when you get back :)

· Great Lakes Moderator
2,390 Posts
This really rocks guys!!! Can't wait to have mine turned on now that he figured it out! I saw some of the elaborite test equipment Chris was using to work on this problem... must have been several grand in hardware alone! Its definitley sweet too with the "change gear up" and a shifter graphic popping up on the display!

· Premium Member
20,870 Posts
That wasn't so bad! :) I pulled the cluster last night and it was too damn easy. That's unusual for GM! :gr_jest: There are two phillips head screws that hold the bezel on. Once you get them out, unplug the fuel door switch and set the bezel aside. Them there are 4 phillips head screws holding the cluster in. Take those out, unplug the connector at the back, and done! The connector at the back can be confusing, though. Basically, there is a black "cam" that holds it into place. There is a release in front of the cam, you press that release, lift the cam away from the cluster, and the connector slides right out.

I think my cluster belongs to someone else though

You cant have my cluster, DevilYellow! I don't care if your name is on the damn thing!

· Premium Member
9,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Updates to the programming after purchase should you choose to add ANY of the features on the list or change the shift light RPM would be covered under a comprehensive $10 charge. The majority of you should be fine with a set it and forget it type of scenario though, this is the way it would have come from the factory.

· SOLD-04 & 06 Torrid Red GTO's
573 Posts
GTPprix said:
Of course! You'll negate the shipping charges obviously :) PM me to setup an appointment.

I also just added a picture of the HSV Startup/Shutdown pic to the original post.
For us locals, can you do it through the ALDL? Thanks.

· Premium Member
20,870 Posts
Ok! Thanks, Chris! You rule.... :hail:

This cluster mod is great! Overnighted it to Chris, 2 days later, here it is.
I took pics of the cluster removal. It's too easy,but just in case you're unsure, you can see for yourself.

Personally, I disconnected the battery before unplugging the cluster. GM SI (Service Information. Basically the dealership repair manual) doesn't show this as a necessary step in the cluster removal procedure, but I didn't think that it would hurt......

Step 1:
Remove the two screws in the upper cluster bezel. After removing screws, pull bezel out. Make sure to unplug the fuel door switch. :)

Bezel screws (2)

Fuel door switch connector

Step 2:
There are 4 screws that hold the cluster in. 2 upper and 2 lower. Remove the 4 screws and pull the cluster out of the cluster cavity.

· Gone but not forgotten
4,633 Posts
great info, thanks HRJ. so how do you like your customized IPC? i think you are the first person to actually have this done (besides Chris himself). im sure some of us Chicago guys cant wait to have this done on March 12

· Premium Member
20,870 Posts
Step 3:
Unplug the connector from the back of the cluster. There is a "cam" lock on the connector. Push the release on the center of the plug, lift the black "cam", and the connector slides out.

After you get the cluster back, reverse the directions and you get this!

I had the shift light activated, too. At 6000rpm, the chime sounds and the light flashes. Too cool. Thanks for figuring all of this out, Chris. It's exactly the way it should have been when I bought the car. :hail:

· Premium Member
20,870 Posts
GTOdriver7 said:
great info, thanks HRJ. so how do you like your customized IPC? i think you are the first person to actually have this done (besides Chris himself). im sure some of us Chicago guys cant wait to have this done on March 12
Do it! What's cool is that our "soon to arrive" custom license plate is displayed under the odometer when you first get into the car....... :pimp:

1 - 20 of 104 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.