LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It happened again. Twice. While aggressively shifting from 4th to 5th, I overshot 5th and grinded into reverse. The tranny did not engage in reverse, thank God, but I definitely created more shavings for the fluid bath.

Earlier experiments led me to believe the "gate" was working and doing this was a figment of my imagination. But last night I was able to confirm without a doubt that the shifter WILL go into reverse while moving forward.

IS THIS WHAT YOU EXPECT?

I have not found info on this in the Tremec manual. Does anyone else know much about the T56? Is my tranny defective?

If the tranny is OK, the shavings are MY fault and thus vehicle abuse is to blame and I'll have to eat the cost. If, however, there should be a "gate" blocking reverse when I'm moving forward, it sure as hell doesn't work and I want a new tranny. Help me out, folks.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
i am almost positive that there is supposed to be a gate. i would take it to the dealer.

·
GTOWILL
236 Posts
Mine is doing that also FLORIT. Damn, guess I need to bring mine in also. Like you said it doesn't actually engage, but there is definite grinding.

·
2,432 Posts
I've never done this, nor tried to. So I don't know if there is a gate, but I would sure think something would stop you from doing it.

What kind of driving are you doing that you are agressively shifting into 5th anyway?

·
GTOWILL
236 Posts
He was racing me! Naw just kidding. I've only done this on the highway a few times when noone is around. Nothing over 120.

·
Feynman fan
2,336 Posts
I did the exact same thing when the car was about two weeks old - except I wasn't shifting aggressively, I was just trying to find 5th! Anyone with "inside connections" know if there's anything in a TSB or whatnot?

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Reverse Lockout Malfunction

AmesGTO said:
...What kind of driving are you doing that you are agressively shifting into 5th anyway?
Let's just call it "aggressive driving at highway speeds." (Superhighway speeds.)

I found the exact symptom in the transmission troubleshooting chart of the Tremec T56 manual. There is definitely a reverse lockout assembly and mine is definitely malfunctioning. I am calling the dealer immediately for an appointment. I will keep you posted. Thanks.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
OMG, i just remembered something. do you guys who have noticed this issue have CAGS elimated??? an Fbody guy told me that when you install CAGS eliminator, it also deletes the reverse gate.

·
2,432 Posts
GTOdriver7 said:
OMG, i just remembered something. do you guys who have noticed this issue have CAGS elimated??? an Fbody guy told me that when you install CAGS eliminator, it also deletes the reverse gate.
That makes sense. I don't drive my GTO enough to be a very good shifter yet and I'm sure I would have hit reverse if it would let me. I elimated CAGS in software so the gates would still be functional.

For the few weeks I had the manually disconnected CAGS I thought the car shifted really strangely.

·
GTOWILL
236 Posts
GTOdriver7 said:
Good info. I still have the manual skip-shift eliminator on, but I also have installed the predator tune. If I take the eliminator off, this should lock the reverse gate, correct?

·
Feynman fan
2,336 Posts
GTOWILL said:
Good info. I still have the manual skip-shift eliminator on, but I also have installed the predator tune. If I take the eliminator off, this should lock the reverse gate, correct?
Except you've had several people post to this thread (myself included) who have said that they had a reverse-attempt at speed with CAGS enabled!

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
GTOWILL said:
im not totally sure if the CAGS eliminator really does effect the reverse gate lock out.

it seems from Ames post that there might be a correlation. but if you have the Predator i would use THAT to eliminate the CAGS instead of the plugin. if you are really interested (and brave) you could try to experiment with it.

·
Feynman fan
2,336 Posts
Hello??? Testing...1...2...3...Testing.

Is this thing on?

I'm not saying the CAGS eliminator doesn't effect the reverse gate lock-out, I'm just saying that people in this tread are reporting the reverse lockout failure without CAGS being touched - on showroom-stock cars...

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
I believe this is indirectly or directly related to the stock shifter having such long ass throws. There is so much travel between gears and for a muscle car, it feels like I am operating a slot machine in Vegas instead of shifting. I am glad they put the R next to the 5th gear. I have seen configurations where R is next to 1st gear which I think is worse.

I have not hit reverse yet accidentally and I try to get to 5th as fast as I could too for better gas mileage. For some reason, it is very hard for the car to go into reverse and this may be a blessing in disguise. I would rather struggle a little bit backing out of a garage stall than easily shift into reverse from 4th gear thinking I was heading into 5th.

I also have SS eliminator and I still will never go back to a car without one.

My short throw shifter kit from Australia should arrive at the end of this week or early next week and we'll see if the shorter, more concise throws will be of any benefit.

·
2005 CGM GTO
1,523 Posts
FLORIT said:
Let's just call it "aggressive driving at highway speeds." (Superhighway speeds.)

I found the exact symptom in the transmission troubleshooting chart of the Tremec T56 manual. There is definitely a reverse lockout assembly and mine is definitely malfunctioning. I am calling the dealer immediately for an appointment. I will keep you posted. Thanks.

Let us know how you make out. I know the Vette has the same tranny and we have no lock out. I have heard of vettes missing a agressive 2nd to 3rd or 4th to 5th shift and actually going into reverse . Have to pick up the pieces with a broom. Let us know how you make out and if the GTO actually has a lockout. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts