LS1GTO.com Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
1 of 40,757
6,235 Posts
Looked like a bad seal to me.
So some how fluid is dumping out of the transmission and on your exhaust.. enough of it to throw plumes of smoke out the back of your car when you get on it.

After a mild drive is the bottom of the trans covered in fluid?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
So, jacked up the front of the car again and, silver lining, no fluid came out like the last time I jacked up just the front. So, the old seal was definitely bad, and this one appears good ... so it did need it apparently, but it wasn't the only issue I guess. Looking at everything, pretty much everything forward of the shifter was dry from the bottom 1/4 up to the top of the transmission. The very bottom of the transmission was coated, but that's not unheard of with fluid creep from the rear to the front. The reverse light sensor was wet, but I'm pretty sure it was just from being coated last night while filling up with the siphon pump. Wiped everything down, including the output shaft seal and no weeping from there. Also, tugged and pushed against the driveshaft at the output housing and there's almost no play, so I'm thinking the bearing is in good enough condition. I wasn't gentle with it, gave it some gusto and she wasn't moving.

It could be the shifter. Looking up at it, it may be sealed with RTV or something of that sort. I can't remember the last time I had it off and the last person to remove it wasn't even me. I guess I'll crack that open and reseal it. Didn't really see anything that stood out from the underside, then again, everything was coated with a nice film of transmission fluid around that area.

If that doesn't do it ... eh, who knows, may just be done with this car. It was fun, but it's obviously going to shit. Blower motor has started making noise now too and I hardly ever use the A/C, lol. Just can't win with this thing.

·
Worthless reject member
36,260 Posts
the shifter, if it is stock, should have it's own gasket. i think it's pretty stubstantial, rubber and about 1/8th of an inch think. the shifter has little bushes that fit into the gasket holes if i remember correctly. i can imagine the utter disaster that would come from trying to RTV it.

aftermarket, not sure. my s1 said to use RTV.

·
GR-RRR!
4,445 Posts
It's probably too messy now to tell where it is coming from. Clean it all off really well, take it for a short drive and reinspect, might show you exactly where it is coming from.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Alright, well, problem ... found? It's the shifter. It was most probably still leaking out the seal as well, hence why it leaked fluid out the end while jacking up the front. At least, that's what I'm telling myself to justify having done that repair (no, really, think it had gone bad).

So, anywho, it's the MGW-P shifter. Normally, this thing comes with a rubber gasket. The folks who did my transmission rebuild must have tossed that gasket (it's a rubber sheet, really) and used RTV. Now, normally, that would be peachy, but because MGW doesn't actually make the shifter for the GTO, Proxes modified it to work, it actually doesn't sit flush on the transmission. Where the shifter goes down into the transmission, there's a hollowed out circle that is wider than the transmission opening. There's an area that doesn't actually touch the base of the transmission, and because it's hollowed out, fluid was able to up up, and out past the transmission.

Now, query is, what's the best way to resolve this? I've dealt with Proxes a few months ago and he's/they're a disaster to get a hold of. Absolutely no contact and it took a month for the part to come. I actually have rubber sheets that could work as gaskets, but I'm not so sure how handy I am with making them work. Would have to cut the holes exactly to the bolt size and cut an opening for the shifter itself. It would likely wind up coming out like a 5yr old craft project and not seal properly. I wonder if dumping an ass-ton of RTV in that hollowed out portion would suffice? Would too much RTV not seal properly? It's probably a half inch or so of space that needs to be filled.

Hmmmm ....

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Used the rubber "sheet." I'm actually a better craftman than I thought, lol. We'll see if it does the job.

·
Worthless reject member
36,260 Posts
I would just swap back to the stock shifter, honestly. i've heard the mgw-p is amazing, though, so if you can get it to work... then yeah. do that..

·
GR-RRR!
4,445 Posts
I would just swap back to the stock shifter, honestly. i've heard the mgw-p is amazing, though, so if you can get it to work... then yeah. do that..
If the car has an aftermarket shifter he may not have the stock shifter available. Regardless, my car had around 34k on it when my stock shifter literally fell apart. My point being, I'm not a big advocate of the stock shifter. While it is expensive, I AM a big proponent of Pro Billet shifter as it functions in the same way as the stock shifter, uses the stock knob and can be set to place the knob at roughly stock height and also seals perfectly to the transmission.

Though, if you can find a stock shifter in decent shape it probably would be the least expensive solution.

I will say, the stock shifter with a Lou's Short Stick is a pretty decent combination, at least until the stock shifter mechanism fails!

·
Worthless reject member
36,260 Posts
If the car has an aftermarket shifter he may not have the stock shifter available. Regardless, my car had around 34k on it when my stock shifter literally fell apart. My point being, I'm not a big advocate of the stock shifter. While it is expensive, I AM a big proponent of Billet Pro shifter as it functions in the same way as the stock shifter, uses the stock knob and can be set to place the knob at roughly stock height and also seals perfectly to the transmission.

Though, if you can find a stock shifter in decent shape it probably would be the least expensive solution.

I will say, the stock shifter with a Lou's Short Stick is a pretty decent combination, at least until the stock shifter mechanism fails!
It's weird to me how all these stock shifters are falling apart. I remember reading dangernoodle's thread about his and wondering why the smurf hasn't either of mine fallen apart yet.

I had a lou's short stick on both of mine and they have been great. Of course the shifter in my red car was in better shape than my blue's after i removed it...

·
GR-RRR!
4,445 Posts
It's weird to me how all these stock shifters are falling apart. I remember reading dangernoodle's thread about his and wondering why the smurf hasn't either of mine fallen apart yet.

I had a lou's short stick on both of mine and they have been great. Of course the shifter in my red car was in better shape than my blue's after i removed it...
Probably has a lot to do with how the shifter was abused or not. Mine wasn't exactly abused by me, but I don't know what happened during the 26k miles before I had it. I certainly didn't always baby it after I got it but I didn't shift with a sledge hammer either. But about the time I put my Pro Billet my stock shifter was getting so certain shifts weren't smooth and then just not possible. When I pulled it off to put on the PB I found that the plastic below the handle was broken and the whole thing was coming apart. I think if the plastic cup in the base could be replaced it would be salvageable, but with PB shifter I just really didn't care about it anymore.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Did a couple of test blasts and it seems to be holding. Thanks machine2004, but that gasket wouldn't work either. The shifter is too wide for the stock T56 on the GTO so you just need an actual sheet. I traced holes for the bolt holes and another hole for the shifter to poke thru and that was it. If it starts leaking again, I'll just dump the MGW for something else like a Hinson. I just don't want to be spending another $400 on something like that for this car.

That being said, apparently I suck. Took way longer than I thought it would. Even dropping the trans, those front bolts were a bitch to get to. Literally took the entire shifter apart to get access to them. I don't remember it being suck a pain in the dick to do.

·
Machine04
552 Posts
Did a couple of test blasts and it seems to be holding. Thanks machine2004, but that gasket wouldn't work either. The shifter is too wide for the stock T56 on the GTO so you just need an actual sheet. I traced holes for the bolt holes and another hole for the shifter to poke thru and that was it. If it starts leaking again, I'll just dump the MGW for something else like a Hinson. I just don't want to be spending another $400 on something like that for this car.

That being said, apparently I suck. Took way longer than I thought it would. Even dropping the trans, those front bolts were a bitch to get to. Literally took the entire shifter apart to get access to them. I don't remember it being suck a pain in the dick to do.
Ah, i see. Hopefully the sheet will be the final fix. And like the others said, its not the easiet or the quickest job to knock out. Kudos on tackling it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Now would be good time to order that gasket from Proxses Tuning and shelf it. Just in case. MGW-P is darn good shifter, you wouldn't want to be tempted to ditch it just because of waiting time on gasket...

·
Hell pecker yeah
7,147 Posts
What did you use to remove the old seal? I ask because I have seen guys use a seal puller (looks like a double sided hook on a screwdriver handle) and gouge the aluminum. Then the new seal can't seal against the housing. More than likely it's one of the things farnsworth mentioned.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts