LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Deuce and a Half
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I have had my GTO for almost 2 months now and it seems especially when the car and tranny are not fully warmed up that my shifts are getting harder and harder to perform. I have missed 2nd believe it or not like 3 times now. I don't understand how one of the simpilest gears to get into is giving me such a problem. I know im going to the floor with the clutch pedal but it feels like im hitting a wall in the shifter. The same thing happens to me with 3rd and especially reverse. I cannot get into reverse without going into another gear or two first. What do you guys think I should do? Bring it to the dealer? If so what service bulletins should I make them aware of. I know there is at least one dealing with torque specs on the clutch. I couldn't find the yellow or white "OK" on the tranny. If someone could give me a better idea of where it is I would appreciate.

Thanks

·
Deuce and a Half
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I was trying to deal with it but it has been getting worse. I took my uncle out for a drive and I could have used 2 hands to try to get it into second probably lol.

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
I was going to say too - I'd definitely take it in. I haven't had any problems getting my car into any gear after 4700 miles and 3 months.
Dan

·
04 Impulse blue/blue M6 GOAT
368 Posts
Remember CAGS lol If the light comes on it wont let u put it in 2nd try 4th gear next time it wont let u in 2nd and see what happens!

·
Deuce and a Half
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, Ive only run into CAGS like 2 times now. The shifts i have missed and felt the stiffness or inability to shift have been under heavy load. Basiclly all out power when you are expecting to make a quick shift and you just miss it because it wouldn't go in. Also reverse is impossible to get into without getting into another gear. You would have to bend the shifter before it would go in.

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
It's better to be safe then sorry . . . I'm use to stiff shifts after owning a Datsun 280ZX Turbo and many Alfa Romeos. Second gear requires a technique and reverse on the Alfas have no syncro so I always go to fourth before reverse to line it up better. These 6 speeds should be smooth as silk once they are broke in. I always like using Mobile 1, Redline, or Amsoile gear lube for the gear boxes.

·
Deuce and a Half
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well i brought it into the dealership yesterday and called them today and they said they would probably have to have it till next week. WTF, if they scratch or dent it im going to be so angry. What kind of legalities are there if they do damage the car in anyway. Plus what is so hard about retorquing some nuts on a a flywheel that they need it for 4+ days.

Anyone else go through this problem yet? How long did it take to fix the issue.

·
Deuce and a Half
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, im going to stop by the dealership this afternoon and see whats up.

·
Deuce and a Half
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I didnt get to see it. I couldn't locate it when i changed the oil on it, i really couldn't slide under far enough.

·
Registered
17 Posts
LiqTenExp said:
I didnt get to see it. I couldn't locate it when i changed the oil on it, i really couldn't slide under far enough.
Is the VIN in the problem range? I wish you luck. Every time I have to have the dealer work on my car I get really nervous. They regard the car as a piece of iron instead of someones pride and joy. Let us know what happens.

·
No More GTO!!!!
1,269 Posts
My car just got back from having a new tranny and slave installed.It took me three weeks of going to the dealer and meeting the GM rep. Then ordering the parts then actually getting it fixed.But you know what,It was ALL worth it.The car shifts better than any T-10 I have ever driven.It was all in the slave because when I got it back the clutch now feels totally different.Softer up top than it was ,but it engages and releases perfect.It actually shifts now.And I forgot to say that my car is a later vin with all the retorque and dot 4 and everything else they supposably fixed.Its mechanical,things arent perfect,just hpoe your dealer does the right thing. Anthony

·
Deuce and a Half
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well they are replacing the tranny so thats good. The bad is it wont be in till like tues or wed and that means they will have the car for soooo long.

·
No More GTO!!!!
1,269 Posts
I took my car home while waiting for the parts as per the dealer.They didn't want to be responsible for any damage being they don't have adequate indoor storage.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Just something I found in the owner's manual, even though I know your trans is bad.. There is a reverse lockout on the m6 if the vehicle is moving faster than 3mph.

·
Deuce and a Half
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The problems with reverse were from a standstill, like you want to back out of your driveway after getting in the car. They are storing it inside.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts