LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2006 GTO M6 Flowmaster Axle back and K&N CAI
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering getting the tuner from diablosport. How easy is it to keep and put the stock tune back on? Also, is there anything I should know about them before using it? I have minimal mods, like a CAI and axleback soon to be catback (I want my h pipe). Thanks!

·
Freedom Fighter
834 Posts
I'm considering getting the tuner from diablosport. How easy is it to keep and put the stock tune back on? Also, is there anything I should know about them before using it? I have minimal mods, like a CAI and axleback soon to be catback (I want my h pipe). Thanks!
I think for the cost u can just get a real dyno or street tune by a pro shop

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think for the cost u can just get a real dyno or street tune by a pro shop
YEah, but I would love to be able to keep the stock tune, the car is extremely close to stock and I have all the stock parts. I wouldn't be able to keep the original tune with that.

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac GTO
418 Posts
I’d skip the tuner and keep stock tune until you get more mods. Maybe long tubes and a fast102 then I’d pay for a dyno tune.

For the price of a predator and the gain you’d get it won’t be cost effective. And when you do more mods that predator really is garbage you’d need HP tuners and a dyno tune anyway. Put the money towards long tubes or suspension. Maybe some radius rod bushings.

·
'05 PBM M6/K3 GSX-R1000
256 Posts
A slightly more to the point reply than the others from me; I've had mine under the Predator tune since about 2013-ish and it's super easy to go back to stock and then back to the tune when needed. The first year of needing my Smog cert after getting the tuner, I was concerned it might make issues during the testing so I removed the tune before I took it in and re-loaded it afterwards. Takes like 10 minutes total for all the modifications to write the data. Found out that I can keep the tune on and it still passes CA Smog, so I've just left it tuned since and no issues.

I also like the fact that I was able to monitor the long-term fuel trims with the tool and make adjustments to the ignition timing for more advanced timing while still keeping the trims in the 0 to -2 range(see multiple great Predator threads on this forum for info). I also like that you can turn the cooling fan on 100% of the time when the car is running.

I'd recommend the tool if you're not wanting to mess around with HP-Tuners or have mild mods as I do, especially if you can find it used from someone on this forum.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A slightly more to the point reply than the others from me; I've had mine under the Predator tune since about 2013-ish and it's super easy to go back to stock and then back to the tune when needed. The first year of needing my Smog cert after getting the tuner, I was concerned it might make issues during the testing so I removed the tune before I took it in and re-loaded it afterwards. Takes like 10 minutes total for all the modifications to write the data. Found out that I can keep the tune on and it still passes CA Smog, so I've just left it tuned since and no issues.

I also like the fact that I was able to monitor the long-term fuel trims with the tool and make adjustments to the ignition timing for more advanced timing while still keeping the trims in the 0 to -2 range(see multiple great Predator threads on this forum for info). I also like that you can turn the cooling fan on 100% of the time when the car is running.

I'd recommend the tool if you're not wanting to mess around with HP-Tuners or have mild mods as I do, especially if you can find it used from someone on this forum.

Hope this helps.

Thanks this helps alot

·
Registered
265 Posts
I used to run a predator tune when my car was close to stock with longtubes, catback, and intake. I ended up ditching it for a dyno tune and was surprised at the power it picked up. I'd say not to bother with the predator.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts