LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Not a winner?
7,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how hard is it to do or maybe hsould i ask how much would it cost to have the dealership install them for me? as i have said in another thread i'm getting my brakes done and i figured i would get everything done at one time and maybe save on some installition if they can do it all at once. I've read up on some of the people that sell the lines but couldn't find any info on installing them.

·
Registered
226 Posts
It's a fairly easy job actually. If I was able to install Russel SS lines on my old truck, anybody can do it. Speedbleeds will help. I've got them on my list of future mods for my goat.

·
1 of 262
10,335 Posts
They are easy to install... Have the dealer bleed them though because a Tech II is needed to cycle the ABS.

·
No mo' GTO.
3,969 Posts
Jontall said:
They are easy to install... Have the dealer bleed them though because a Tech II is needed to cycle the ABS.
Really? Why is this the first time that I have seen that piece of information?

·
1 of 262
10,335 Posts
sccaGTO said:
Really? Why is this the first time that I have seen that piece of information?
ABS Automated Bleed Procedure

Bleeding the ABS System
Perform a manual or pressure bleeding procedure. Refer to Hydraulic Brake System Bleeding in Hydraulic Brakes. If the desired brake pedal height results are not achieved, perform the automated bleed procedure below.

The procedure cycles the system valves and runs the pump in order to purge the air from the secondary circuits normally closed off during normal base brake operation and bleeding. The automated bleed procedure is recommended when air ingestion is suspected in the secondary circuits, or when the BPMV has been replaced.

Automated Bleed Procedure

Notice: The Auto Bleed Procedure may be terminated at any time during the process by pressing the EXIT button. No further Scan Tool prompts pertaining to the Auto Bleed procedure will be given. After exiting the bleed procedure, relieve bleed pressure and disconnect bleed equipment per manufacturers instructions. Failure to properly relieve pressure may result in spilled brake fluid causing damage to components and painted surfaces.

Raise the vehicle on a suitable support. Refer to Vehicle Lifting.
Remove all four tire and wheel assemblies. Refer to Drum and Wheel Removal and Installation in Wheels, Tires and Alignment.
Inspect the brake system for leaks and visual damage. Refer to Brake Fluid Loss or Symptoms - Hydraulic Brakes in Hydraulic Brakes. Repair or replace as needed.
Inspect the battery state of charge. Refer to Battery Inspection/Test in Engine Electrical.
Install a scan tool.
Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
With the scan tool, establish communications with the EBCM. Select Special Functions. Select Automated Bleed from the Special Functions menu.
Bleed the base brake system. Refer to Hydraulic Brake System Bleeding in Hydraulic Brakes.
Follow the scan tool directions until the desired brake pedal height is achieved.
If the bleed procedure is aborted, a malfunction exists. Perform the following steps before resuming the bleed procedure:
If a DTC is detected, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List and diagnose the appropriate DTC.
If the brake pedal feels spongy, perform the conventional brake bleed procedure again. Refer to Hydraulic Brake System Bleeding in Hydraulic Brakes.
When the desired pedal height is achieved, press the brake pedal in order to inspect for firmness.
Remove the scan tool.
Install the tire and wheel assemblies. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation in Wheels, Tires and Alignment.
Inspect the brake fluid level. Refer to Master Cylinder Reservoir Filling in Hydraulic Brakes.
Road test the vehicle while inspecting that the pedal remains high and firm.

·
Need A Little Beethoven?
5,639 Posts
That procedure is completely unnecessary. I just put on SS lines over the weekend and did a normal bleed and the brakes are much better than they were before and there's no air in the system.

·
Est. Apr 2004
5,861 Posts
The important thing in Jontalls copy:

Perform a manual or pressure bleeding procedure. Refer to Hydraulic Brake System Bleeding in Hydraulic Brakes. If the desired brake pedal height results are not achieved, perform the automated bleed procedure below.
The "good old fashioned" brake bleeding procedure is fine however is you still have issues you need a tech II to cycle the ABS box. IMHO it should only be needed if you are replacing the ABS box. I've bled more than one 04 GTO without the TechII and they are fine.

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
If you are careful you can do this job with out one. If the reservoir level drops low enough to allow a single air bubble into the system you will need to bleed with the TECH II.

·
Enthusiast
1,425 Posts
It's a pretty simple job. I barely know which end of a wrench to pull on, but I did it. Bleeding requires at least two people. I don't think you need to do the ABS portion:
The procedure cycles the system valves and runs the pump in order to purge the air from the secondary circuits normally closed off during normal base brake operation and bleeding.
Just don't let the brake fluid level get too low.

·
No mo' GTO.
3,969 Posts
At some point in time, I'm plannig a major overhaul on the brakes. This means new brake lines, rotors, new synthetic fluid, etc. Does this mean that I will need to perform the TechII bleed procedure?

·
Need A Little Beethoven?
5,639 Posts
sccaGTO said:
At some point in time, I'm plannig a major overhaul on the brakes. This means new brake lines, rotors, new synthetic fluid, etc. Does this mean that I will need to perform the TechII bleed procedure?
I seriously doubt it. This is sounds like what you have to do if air gets into the master cylinder, the only way that's going to happen is if you have almost no fluid in the resevoir.

·
Beer Geek
3,713 Posts
sccaGTO said:
I will be asking THE Pontiac dealer to change my brake fluid and replace my flex hoses with braided SS in probably about two months. I don't knwo what I am going to do for rotors, pads and calipers yet, I am keeping an eye out for new stuff at SEMA at the end of this month.

I am going to ask them to do the ABS pump fluid replacement with the techII, and then we'll have a good answer. I don't know how many ccs or ounces of factory brake fluid are the ABS fluid resevoir, but I want it replaced along with the rest of my factory (28 month old, 60k mile) brake fluid.

·
Est. Apr 2004
5,861 Posts
swmn said:
I will be asking THE Pontiac dealer to change my brake fluid and replace my flex hoses with braided SS in probably about two months. I don't knwo what I am going to do for rotors, pads and calipers yet, I am keeping an eye out for new stuff at SEMA at the end of this month.

I am going to ask them to do the ABS pump fluid replacement with the techII, and then we'll have a good answer. I don't know how many ccs or ounces of factory brake fluid are the ABS fluid resevoir, but I want it replaced along with the rest of my factory (28 month old, 60k mile) brake fluid.
A normal cycle of driving followed by a quick bleed will get the fluid out of the ABS module. The module can't hold much fluid anyway. Sure its a bit more work but a hell of a lot cheaper.

FYI you can buy a tech II on Ebay (if you have $ 2500 lying around)

·
Here for a while
1,707 Posts
Doric said:
Not the point. The nuts on the brake lines are very soft. You will round them if you use regular wrenches. Ask me how I know. ;)

AMEN TO THAT! Get the wrenches!

If you are careful you can do this without the dealership help. We do it all the time!

·
Not a winner?
7,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Doric said:
Not the point. The nuts on the brake lines are very soft. You will round them if you use regular wrenches. Ask me how I know. ;)
sorry posted in the wrong one

·
Not a winner?
7,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so where is the best place to buy the lines anyways? i went on stop tech and seemed like they didn't have them or something when i did the search.

·
Est. Apr 2004
5,861 Posts
so where is the best place to buy the lines anyways? i went on stop tech and seemed like they didn't have them or something when i did the search.
I bought the Stoptech lines off PFYC, they shipped directly from Stoptech and I had them 3 days later :thumbs:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts