LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Been here for a long time...
4,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I replaced the drag bags, I've gotten a real bad shudder when accelerating on moderate throttle. Mainly in 1st and 2nd, just a hint in 3rd. Almost feels like wheel hop but isn't. Another thing I noticed while backing into the garage, I could feel it there also. That was the first time for that.

I'll probably change the fluid as it's been a few years. Guess I'll look at the driveshaft and axles for obvious problems.

Ideas?

·
4,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Had a little time to put it up in the air. I don't see anything out of the ordinary. Driveshaft, axles, all look ok.

Could the springs be doing it? Maybe I reclocked them when I put them back? I'm at a loss.

While I was under there, I put in the RevShift insert for the tranny mount :)

I probably shouldn't call it a shudder. It actually feels like wheel hop as the whole car vibrates. There is no way it can be wheel hop at that light a throttle but it sure does feel like it. Only does it at anything above a light throttle. You can feel a vibration at light throttle but not as violent as part/heavier throttle.

Any ideas because I can't think of anything else.

·
4,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update. Finally got the car up in the air. Looking at the driveshaft. The front guibo looks to be pretty solid and nice. The center bearing has some movement, which I think is normal? But can't see anything wrong with it. The rear guibo is ripped and distorted. So I think I found the terrible vibration I've had since the drag bag install. I guess one good launch killed it. So I think I found the smoking gun. I had this problem about 7 years ago. The threads were coming out the rear one it was so bad but it never vibrated the car like this time.

I have a one piece driveshaft coming, so I shouldn't have this problem again. Also going to change the axles and stubs but still rounding up parts, so that'll be later. Guess I won't jump on it from a dig until then...

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Well if its stock, its 20 year old poorly made rubber. Which should have been serviced 10 years ago. And that goes for all the rubber on the entire car.
I had a similar issue and its because of my hard sidewall 18's. Which is why I prefer to just drive it on 15's all the time. I know that was my issue as I dont have any rubber left on the car.

·
4,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The rear one was replaced 7 years ago. The drag bags were installed because my original 16 year old drag bags had disintegrated. There was no traction at all in 1st gear. Once I put new bags in, it hooked great the one time I tried. That is why it failed.

Car hasn't been to a track since '06. It's mainly a garage queen all it's life and only taken out in nice weather. Would like to see if it really has an 11 sec timeslip but those days are long gone.

·
4,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got the Diff Tech one piece driveshaft installed, went old school ;) . So far so good. But man is it tight in there. Did the required grinding of bolts, bending heat shields and cutting of the passenger side hangars. Bought new Walker rubber hangers to help drop the exhaust a touch. Nothing is touching but there might be a 1/4" clearance at the passenger muffler, if that.

The driveshaft has a different feel to the car. Hard to describe but different. No vibrations to 70mph or on hard low speed throttle. While I was under the car, I did put some dynamat on the shifter under the car. 2"-3" or so. Was hoping this would dampen any noise coming in. Didn't hear anything new so maybe it helped?

Glad my terrible vibration/shaking is gone on acceleration. Now to get some axles to go along with the stubs I need to install...

·
4,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Forgot to post the pics of the rear guibo. Amazing what one good launch on the street can do...
Automotive tire Carbon Bicycle part Rim Composite material
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Alloy wheel Bicycle part

1 - 8 of 8 Posts