LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Murphy the RMGTO Mod Dog
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a more utility side by sides? I don't want a high performance, trail/rock climbing type of UTV. Looking for experiences. I have been looking at Polaris Rangers, Honda Pioneers, Kubotas, and John Deeres so far.

1) How have they held up?
2) How do you use them? I plan to use mine for plowing snow, hauling firewood or tools, and hunting.
3) Does anyone have the canvas cab enclosures and how have they held up?

I have been clearing my driveway with either a Honda Rancher ATV with a plow or a snowblower. I need more heft than an ATV to plow. Snowblower, half the time I come back in looking like a snowman with the blow back. The blower didn't like wet snow either. I also figure with a cab and bench seat I can throw the kids in with me. They really want to ride the ATV with me, but I can't keep track of them and plow.

Wanting to use this for hunting, I'm leaning more towards the Ranger and Pioneer due to being a little less plodding, and somewhat trail oriented. The Pioneer's transmission seems more car like, which appeals to me, but I am not sure it is better.

·
Registered Winner
7,232 Posts
Anyone have a more utility side by sides? I don't want a high performance, trail/rock climbing type of UTV. Looking for experiences. I have been looking at Polaris Rangers, Honda Pioneers, Kubotas, and John Deeres so far.

1) How have they held up?
2) How do you use them? I plan to use mine for plowing snow, hauling firewood or tools, and hunting.
3) Does anyone have the canvas cab enclosures and how have they held up?

I have been clearing my driveway with either a Honda Rancher ATV with a plow or a snowblower. I need more heft than an ATV to plow. Snowblower, half the time I come back in looking like a snowman with the blow back. The blower didn't like wet snow either. I also figure with a cab and bench seat I can throw the kids in with me. They really want to ride the ATV with me, but I can't keep track of them and plow.

Wanting to use this for hunting, I'm leaning more towards the Ranger and Pioneer due to being a little less plodding, and somewhat trail oriented. The Pioneer's transmission seems more car like, which appeals to me, but I am not sure it is better.
The diesel Kubota is the most tractor-like UTV out there. With it's hydrostatic transmission and real true frame it will haul the most and is the sturdiest workhorse of any of the options. The downside is that the engine braking literally throws you through the windshield and it is loud as hell. Regardess, it is what we turn to when we need to haul a 5x10 trailer full of firewood, haul or tow anything of decent weight, or pull out one of the Rangers that may have gotten stuck. It also has a hydraulic dump bed and rear hydraulic connections for various implements if needed. We've had ours for almost 12 years and other than regular maintenance it hasn't had a single issue until literally last weekend, when I discovered it needs a head gasket.

The new Kawasaki mules supposedly continue their legacy with performance and longevity. I haven't heard any complaints about them, and a few south Texas friends switched to them from Rangers a few years ago claiming they're more reliable. With regard to motors, it's hard to beat the sound and reliability of their 650 and 750 V-twins, and I've heard good things about the new 800cc and 1000cc units. Both of the V-twins offer superior engine braking to any other manufacturer, which is a critical advantage when descending sketchy terrain. Due to their low sale volume you should get the best deal on a Kawasaki unit vs any of the others.

As mentioned in the other thread, the 4 seater Ranger 900 posted is what my Dad tools around in on a daily basis at the ranch. It has few thousand hours on it and is typically full of whatever crap he's working on at the time. He tows around a fairly heavy BBQ pit and a welding machine regularly with it, both on 5x10 trailers. What we did to it was just to get him out of a tight spot if needed and to add a little more ground clearance (Clarence), which only made it perform better. We have only replaced 1 belt on it in the 6 or 7 years we have had it, and that was because it was overloaded with an inexperienced driver who burned the belt up trying to ascend a ravine in high gear. The 1000cc machines out now are really amazing, but the value is in the 900s that aren't in the limelight anymore. With this machine you'll want solid doors and front/back windshields if you can get them. Plenty of affordable aftermarket options for them.

We don't see Pioneers anywhere except the dealership. When they first came out I saw a couple, but out of the potentially thousands of UTVs out at the rides we've been on, we've maybe seen a handful. I would assume they're just fine for what they do, but I just have no first hand experience with them.

If you want to mix it up a little bit, the Polaris General tries to do both. It has a bit of a smaller bed so it's a little more versatile. We see these doing double duty all the time, but if you do a few mods to your Ranger it will perform almost as well on slow trails as a base General. The biggest advantage with it though is that you can get it with the Walker Evans suspension, which as a factory option you're not going to get with the Ranger XP (XP does come with self leveling shocks but that's it).

The Can Am Defender is the Cadillac of all of these. Due to their price point there aren't a ton of them out there, but a close friend has a TX Edition one and it is like driving a King Ranch F150. They also offer some interesting options like 6 wheelers, long wheel base models, and even a flatbed option.

Hope this helps.

·
Murphy the RMGTO Mod Dog
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tmiller. So all the ones you've had have hard panels, no canvas? Guessing the Texas sun is hard on canvas.

I've driven a Ranger for work, and looking at it the people beat on it and don't worry about cleaning it. It was plenty capable hauling stuff up and down the muddy slopes next to the dam we were working on.

My brother in-law has a Pioneer 1000 he plows with and uses to drag a mower. It is only a couple years old. The ATV I have been plowing with is from 2002, and has done nothing but plow in the foothills of the Rockies it's whole life. Starts all the time and works hard. One of the reasons I was leaning towards a Pioneer, I just want something reliable and all other things Honda seem to have that rep.

I've seen Mules a lot for maintenance workers at commercial properties, but forgot about them until you said the name. At my office there is a Kubota they are using all the time. Feel like the guy driving it just does circles and no real work.

·
Registered Winner
7,232 Posts
We had a cover with zip up doors for our 2 door Ranger when it rained here, it was a hot mess. If you got a hard windshield (highly recommended) and one that would work with it I'm sure it would probably be much better.

There are gas Kubotas now of varying cc, big and small frames, and there are also mid-size Rangers. While I wouldn't buy one, another friend has a 400 Ranger and it seems to do just fine. As a matter of fact he followed me up some fairly complicated trails in my jeep.

If your brother has a Pioneer and loves it, by all means keep it in the family. My BIL and I tend to compete a bit, so instead of buying a RZR, he went out and bought a new Teryx 1000 Kawi. It should also be considered that since riding a fourwheeler is a totally different experience, if you like doing that there are plenty of bigger bore quads out there that might suit your needs. Almost all manufacturers make an 800 now, Polaris and Can-Am even make 1000s, but those are in SxS price range. I've had a Kawasaki Brute Force 650 since 2008 and that thing is a workhorse (it's also now an almost 800cc stroker thanks to the BIL competition).

·
Hell pecker yeah
7,437 Posts
I don't own one yet, but I have decided on a Polaris General. It's a good combo of the the Ranger and Razor. And that's both of my cents.

·
Murphy the RMGTO Mod Dog
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I need the carrying capacity of the UTV and like the bench seat for my kids to ride along. The smaller UTVs are in the running because I have so many trees on my place it would be easier to get around with one. I don't thing the Generals have enough of a bed for me. The CanAm Defenders look awesome of carrying things around, but that price tag. Going to keep looking in to the Mules, but not many places around here sell them and those that do have like 2 in stock. Thanks for the comments.

·
Registered Winner
7,232 Posts
I need the carrying capacity of the UTV and like the bench seat for my kids to ride along. The smaller UTVs are in the running because I have so many trees on my place it would be easier to get around with one. I don't thing the Generals have enough of a bed for me. The CanAm Defenders look awesome of carrying things around, but that price tag. Going to keep looking in to the Mules, but not many places around here sell them and those that do have like 2 in stock. Thanks for the comments.
My buddy would probably ship one to you if you wanted: Texas Leading UTV Dealer | Woods Cycle Country huge inventory of UTVs near San Antonio and Austin

·
いいえ、それ&#
2,017,953 Posts
My father in law had a 2wd Kubota UTV gas model that was about 15 years old that he used for all sorts of chores. He needed to start plowing his road and bought a Polaris Ranger. A couple of months ago he decided to give the Polaris to my sister in law, and traded the old Kubota for a new 4wd one (probably another gas one). As far as I know it was not for any issues with the Ranger, he just likes the feel of the Kubota better, plus I think it fits better in his garage. Both have been fine for the plowing they do at home (S Michigan) as well as work at the family land down in WV.

·
Murphy the RMGTO Mod Dog
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kubotas are pricey. Will check one out, but not high on the list currently. Should mention I'm probably a year or two from buying one. Need to build a second garage first.

·
Registered Winner
7,232 Posts
They are pricey, but you’re buying a small tractor type UTV. Found a pic of ours, we do this semi-annually:

The high seat hasn’t been on it for a few years but was a lot of fun.

·
Murphy the RMGTO Mod Dog
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Past few days have cut down 8 dead pine trees/conifers on my place. After cutting up each, carried the pieces up to my driveway by hand, 20 feet to 100 feet up hill. The wheel barrowed them the rest of the way. Woke up the past few days really wishing I had a side by side. Other priorities first though. Rest of the trees I need to down are on the back, downhill side of my place. Not looking forward to getting them.

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
9,838 Posts
so for years my uncle just used tractors on the farm - in Ohio I might should add. Grandpa did too. why would you not use the thing you already own. So I will pause and ask you do you have a need for a moderate sized tractor (like say a 45HP ish device). Or do you have one.

Now that said over the years with peer pressure even applying to 50 year olds. He up and got a john deere side by side and this would have been 2004 or so. I think it's called a gator might be something else now. Point is. Had to have it. and he used it for a long time that I know of - but when shit gets real guess what - out comes the 4440 or whatever is now the smallest one in the shed. Which is what also changed recently. Now the smallest tractor in the second barn is really too big for small things - and the garden tractor (that will run a tiller and plows snow) is really just too slow i'm told.

SO he now has a Polaris device I forget which but it does have 4 doors and if I recall it costs and is roughly of the size of what we used to think of as a small pick up truck. (ranger or S10). It has more ground clearance than the john deere had - it's faster - covered (another need that wasn't a need before) - and with lights he will drive it on the damn road. It has one fatal flaw - it's not diesel. That's not so much a flaw but it is now the only farm device on the land that doesn't take diesel. So I figure next time I go up there there will be another device.

OH one other thing I'm not 100% sure JOhn Deere ever made or makes their devices. For some reason I want to say they are rebadged/repainted something else. Which might actually be a polaris product. I might be wrong about that but it sticks in my head some.

I see people hunt with them for some reason - and I have seen people trade to jacked up off road golf carts. why - noise. Not sure if that's a factor for you.

Utility wise. I've used the john deere device when he had it - to pull the trailer with fire wood on it after we cut and split it. The garden tractor I mentioned before - ran the splitter. I would argue that garden tractor (23HP diesel) would have easily pulled the splitter and the trailer of fire wood without issue. It would not however carry people. I could have ridden on the log trailer.

Good luck I doubt you could really go wrong with any of them - but I would look into width and compare that with where you are taking the thing.

·
Murphy the RMGTO Mod Dog
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Father in-law has a small Mahindra tractor. I grew up with a Case 480 skip loader (backhoe with a 3-point drag box instead of a hoe). I would love to have a tractor, but have no need for it besides snow removal. Order of needs for this thing to fill: 1) Snow plow 2) Firewood hauler (at house, father in-laws property, or USFS) 3) Hunting device. Snow, I have a snowblower, but windy days it sucks and a plow is just faster. Firewood it is gather stuff after it is cut and carry gear to the trees. For hunting I need something to cruise around and scout (think BLM or USFS roads) or go get the elk after it is down. My house is on a mountain side with lots of trees, you have to pick your line even with an ATV. I'm trying to thin parts of it, so hopefully it will get a little easier to move around.

Pics for reference, trees get tighter the farther I get from the house.

·
Hell pecker yeah
7,437 Posts
Just this weekend I drove a Honda Pioneer 1000. It was a three seater, four wheel drive, dump bed, base model. It was actually pretty nice. Drove well with plenty of power. It has a transmission that shifts a lot - up and down. The owner said you get used to it pretty quickly. He also said the dealer where he bought it was a Honda and Polaris shop. He looked in the shop and there wasn't a Honda to be seen. All Polaris. Does that mean the Hondas are better, or do they just sell fewer? I don't know. I'll probably go look at the Hondas a little more in depth now though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts