LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
not fast enough
Joined
·
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Puppy Power!!
Joined
·
1,693 Posts
I have the JL CleanSweep. The same basic idea, but was put out by JL before Rockford made their's.

I love it. The stock HU does very well with the signal cleaned up and processed.

Bob
 

·
Where are the women and booze
Joined
·
2,089 Posts
Is it actually availible? JL has had the Cleansweep out for a while and JUST released their summing device. And Alpine has been touting thiers for almost a year and it is still not shipping.
 

·
Part of the Raider Nation
Joined
·
261 Posts
Why would someone want to use this in a GTO though? You have to realize that even though you now have processing that the stock CD player is using inferior DAC's and transport. IMHO use the AI dash piece, sand and paint and use an aftermarket head unit. These devices are for cars where an aftermarket head unit is almost impossible to use.
 

·
Puppy Power!!
Joined
·
1,693 Posts
eqsandleds said:
Why would someone want to use this in a GTO though? You have to realize that even though you now have processing that the stock CD player is using inferior DAC's and transport. IMHO use the AI dash piece, sand and paint and use an aftermarket head unit. These devices are for cars where an aftermarket head unit is almost impossible to use.
This really depends on your goals.

I wanted the stock unit to keep my system stealth. 99% of all people will not notice the difference between the stock processed unit and an aftermarket.

If you are going to compete, then that is a whole different ballgame.


As for the 360 vs the CleanSweep, how many of the axtra features on the 360 are really going to make use of?

Bob
 

·
Part of the Raider Nation
Joined
·
261 Posts
BobthePhotoGuy said:
This really depends on your goals.

I wanted the stock unit to keep my system stealth. 99% of all people will not notice the difference between the stock processed unit and an aftermarket.

If you are going to compete, then that is a whole different ballgame.


As for the 360 vs the CleanSweep, how many of the axtra features on the 360 are really going to make use of?

Bob
What you say is very true, but I am that 1%.

IMHO if you want to keep the stock head unit why not just use line convertors and use digital amps like the new Zapcos and Focals that have all processing built in? I think the new digital Alpines do this as well? You get better amps since you are not blowing money on a clean sweep or 360. You still get time allignment, eq, and full cross over availability.
 

·
Where are the women and booze
Joined
·
2,089 Posts
eqsandleds said:
What you say is very true, but I am that 1%.

IMHO if you want to keep the stock head unit why not just use line convertors and use digital amps like the new Zapcos and Focals that have all processing built in? I think the new digital Alpines do this as well? You get better amps since you are not blowing money on a clean sweep or 360. You still get time allignment, eq, and full cross over availability.

The only Alpine amps w/ built in processing are the theater amps. The PDXs need analog input. Ant the theater amps have the processing but have to have an Ai-net controller (either h/u or stand alone) and a source w/ an optical output to work.
 

·
Puppy Power!!
Joined
·
1,693 Posts
eqsandleds said:
What you say is very true, but I am that 1%.

IMHO if you want to keep the stock head unit why not just use line convertors and use digital amps like the new Zapcos and Focals that have all processing built in? I think the new digital Alpines do this as well? You get better amps since you are not blowing money on a clean sweep or 360. You still get time allignment, eq, and full cross over availability.
If you are in that 1%, than I truly feel for ya.

There are much more mundane issues to deal with in Automotive Audio that put signal output resolution on back burner. The last guy I met that truly could appreciate the difference in HU output resolution, would not drive and listen to his stereo, "there was too much noise and distortion caused by road noise for me to appreciate it". His home theater system was a 6 year/ $30k adventure and his home audio system (for music only) was seperate and cost him over $70k. This guy was a musician and could tell you the difference between different guitar string manufacturers, by hearing a recording! LOL

All I am trying to say is that the Auto environment is capable of only wo much when it comes to sound quality. The difference between a good factory unit and a good aftermarket unit will almost always be lost when the vehicle is in motion.

Anyways, the CleanSweep is a good product and does offer benefits that do make an audible difference over line converters, as well as giving you an aux in.

Bob
 

·
Part of the Raider Nation
Joined
·
261 Posts
I have no doubt in my mind that the Cleansweep is a nice piece. What I do question is the need for it in the GTO when all Auto EQ and Volume Limiting is defeatable from the head unit itself.

IMHO you get your moneys worth on these pieces on vehicles that have no way to turn off the eq curves and volume limiting coming from the head unit itself which would make it impossible to get a good, clean, distortion free output from the head.

To me it seems like overkill for preouts and a aux in when you can pay $40.00 for a quality line level convertor, and if you want go with the Aux mod found here.
 

·
Where are the women and booze
Joined
·
2,089 Posts
the GTOs have full range un-eqd signal when it is all defeated @ the H/U. What the Cleansweep DOES offer is essentially a REALLY nice line driver (8 v rms) abd an aux input.

I have a/bd GTOs w & w/o a Cleansweep and the difference is noticeable.

On other cars w/ nasty eq settings the Cleansweep is a god send.
 

·
Part of the Raider Nation
Joined
·
261 Posts
DiamondJoeQuimby said:
the GTOs have full range un-eqd signal when it is all defeated @ the H/U. What the Cleansweep DOES offer is essentially a REALLY nice line driver (8 v rms) abd an aux input.

I have a/bd GTOs w & w/o a Cleansweep and the difference is noticeable.

On other cars w/ nasty eq settings the Cleansweep is a god send.
Was the rest of the system in the car the same except for the cleansweep? I doubt it and the difference you were hearing is the other equipment or a poorly tuned line driver car.

I will bet you that if the head unit does infact kill all eq and volume limiting, that you will not be able to pick the cleansweep car vs. the line driver car if everything else is the same.

Again, I am not bashing the cleansweep at all. I have always been happy with the JL products that I have used.
 

·
I Know Victoria's Secret
Joined
·
835 Posts
MSRP $399.99 - $699.99

Get Rockford Fosgate sound quality from your factory source unit!

It's getting increasingly difficult to swap out that AM/FM/CD player that came from the factory. We know. In fact, we know a lot about these factory source units…we build some of the best for carmakers around the world. We know what makes them tick. We also know that customers want to make them sound better, so our clever engineers have come up with an innovative solution. So read on and learn how 3Sixty can make that factory system sound like a Rockford system!
For that price you can get a really good aftermarket headunit.
 

·
Puppy Power!!
Joined
·
1,693 Posts
I will tell you that when you push the little "EQ DEFEAT" button there is a very noticable difference.

I'm not completely convinced of there being no modification to the output signal of the stock HU, even with everything turned off. There seems to atleast be some bass boost at the lower volumes.
 

·
Where are the women and booze
Joined
·
2,089 Posts
eqsandleds said:
Was the rest of the system in the car the same except for the cleansweep? I doubt it and the difference you were hearing is the other equipment or a poorly tuned line driver car.

I will bet you that if the head unit does infact kill all eq and volume limiting, that you will not be able to pick the cleansweep car vs. the line driver car if everything else is the same.

Again, I am not bashing the cleansweep at all. I have always been happy with the JL products that I have used.

Yes all other components were the same, we installed the system, then 6 months later the customer came back and the CS installed. It was a very appearant difference.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top