LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aight fellas. Pulled the car in my shop this weekend and got started last night. Little backstory. I live in a neighborhood that doesn’t allow large builds on our lots. Well they didn’t when I bought my building. I bought the biggest one they would allow but it’s off the ground and I’ve always been afraid to drive a car in it. I finally ended up doing it with my car not long ago and it was fine, so I drove this gto in it to build the turbo kit. I insulated my shop, I have a 12k AND a 15k ac units in it. 70 degrees in the heat of the summer. Problem is, it’s small. 18x24, so not ideal for vehicles but I can make due. It’s got plenty of room for one car tho. This is a far cry from what I’m used to. I’m usually working on my car on the driveway or under the carport. Heat. Cold. Sun. Rain. So needless to say, I’m excited. I’ll post a couple pics of my little man cave shop for those maybe interested. Most importantly, all my tools and stuff are in one spot, my tv is in there so I can watch YouTube while I work and I’ll be comfortable out of the elements. Yay. Lol. Anywhoo. Please comment, give feedback, say hey or pat me on the back while I’m doing this, so I won’t feel like I’m wasting my time posting this for you guys. :)

here’s my little shop.

Right before I filled it up with stuff and put down padding over ha the floor (I workout in there too)

I ended up getting more Mat like this

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok. I got started on it last night. Actually had started on the manifold a while back and was trying to eyeball copy mine. Got to the point where it needed to be mocked up on the car.

so it’s a bitch cutting these stainless thick wall tubes. I burnt up two $30 a piece hole saws on mine. Shit would run so hot, tried shooting wd40 on it but didn’t help. So I came up with this little doodad. It blows a constant stream of air on it. Actually worked well, I could cut the machine off and touch the part and the bit Immediately which normally would be red hot. It’s basically a little valve with a bendable aluminum tube hooked to it. My air compressor is remote mounted and I have a “quiet” air supply in my shop. Which is super nice.

I tacked the tube to the log, I’m going to tack the log to the flange this evening.

·
Super Moderator
12,177 Posts
Already diggin it.

Sweet shop you got there. Love the layout and with one car in there probably lots of room to work around it. Kinda rare around here anyways to see a non concrete floor that will hold a car.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Already diggin it.

Sweet shop you got there. Love the layout and with one car in there probably lots of room to work around it. Kinda rare around here anyways to see a non concrete floor that will hold a car.
Hey thanks! I’m really excited that I have it setup how I do. I wish I would have done this with my car. It keeps me from getting in a hurry and cutting corners. This guys setup shoukd turn out much better than mine. Imagine being out in the heat, elements, not having enough light And walking back and forth between the carport, my storage room and my shop about 80feet away. It got old and time consuming. Some tools were in the shop and some were in the storage garage (it’s what we call a boat port here, little storage room about 8ft wide by about 22ft long, has a door and a roll up door). Now all my stuff is in my shop. No walking back and forth.

the floor should be pretty sturdy. I paid extra for the premium pressure treated sheeting and metal beams under it. They said it would hold my truck I had at the time. I’ll take some pics of the room I have, it just enough with no complaints.

I’m thinking about ordering a 12” wide sheet metal brake, shear and roller. This guy wants to put a half size batter in the front (lithium) and I’m gonna build him and myself some snazzy battery trays that work like the factory one. This bender would help greatly. I’ll post it too when I get it.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Very cool. Coming from what you had that’s got to feel like heaven on earth.
that’s about the size of my garage and is just big enough to work comfortably. I have too much stuff in mine because I’m a hoarder or should I say am planning for future projects. Wish I could be as organized as you one day.
I hate that my garage is open to the block so while I can do what I want everyone can see what I’m doing. Next house wont have that.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very cool. Coming from what you had that’s got to feel like heaven on earth.
that’s about the size of my garage and is just big enough to work comfortably. I have too much stuff in mine because I’m a hoarder or should I say am planning for future projects. Wish I could be as organized as you one day.
I hate that my garage is open to the block so while I can do what I want everyone can see what I’m doing. Next house wont have that.
I bought a unit like this except it is orange. https://www.amazon.com/Mophorn-Cortador-amperios-pulgadas-Soldadura/dp/B07PJMVHBS/ref=sr_1_13?dchild=1&keywords=PLASMA+CUTTER+110V+PILOT+ARC&qid=1590518181&sr=8-13

I've only used it a few times, had it for about a year and a half. Some things you need to look for: 1) make sure its 110v/220v if you dont have easy access to 220v 2) make sure its a pilot arc unit. Unless your ok with scratch starting. I wanted mine to start without having to touch the metal with it. Wears out the tips faster.
other than that, I dont like the power switch and air regulator being on back.

I wish I would have bough this one, everything is on the front. o well, the one i have go out, i'll get this one.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Appreciate that. If the switch and regulator is the only issue I’d deal with that for $100 difference. The one in my cart was about the same price and not auto pilot arc

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess I’m gonna try to fit at least one tube per evening lol. I had to cut this tube twice on my mill. Found the right combo to a tolerable cut. Go slow. Add cooling air. And wear safety glasses and ear plugs. Wearing the ear plugs takes the screech away and I can hear and feel the cutting much better.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You're missing a couple tubes. <J/K> Looks really good!

Darnit! I thought I was just about finished with it lol. My plan is to add a tube per evening. I only have a couple hours each evening to mess with it.

·
Super Moderator
12,177 Posts
I was admiring that crusty ole perimeter bolt head lol.

I still can't believe I sold my pair of perimeter bolt heads for 300 bucks this time last year. and I sold the valve covers for 150!

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice shop!
The manifold looks great! Going to build yourself one?
LOL if you havent seen my build thread, I already have the same manifold on my car.....i'm building a slightly improved version than mine. Mine has been going for two years so far with no cracking or problems besides having to move the v band

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was admiring that crusty ole perimeter bolt head lol.

I still can't believe I sold my pair of perimeter bolt heads for 300 bucks this time last year. and I sold the valve covers for 150!
I never noticed that. He put lower compression heads on it and a smaller cam a few weeks back. I work with him, I'll ask in a few minutes.

edit. crap, you were talking about my mockup head. lol My buddy gave me that for mocking up these manifolds.

·
Super Moderator
12,177 Posts
Yeah, your mock up head is from a 97-98 LS1

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I TOTALLY FORGOT.......
this is getting a Billet wheel 7873 on3 turbo, a tial 48mm (iirc) wastegate, 2.25 crossover pipe, 2.5 intercooler piping. He wants ro go with 3" but I'm trying to talk him out out it. Its pointless for his goals and he will have to buy another piping kit and intercooler. Really would be a plus for me because that would be spare parts I could get from him cheap. My son has a SUPER clean and sweet 2004 regular cab, 5.3, short bed, 4wd silverado thats slammed on 22" black rhino everests.....i'm going to do a china boi 7875 turbo on that truck. maybe 6lbs boost. So the more parts I can collect, the better.

I have to turbo a low mileage 2002 trans am after this project too. So with the trans am project, I'll be able to get the parts for the silverado.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
would you be willing to sell this as a kit? always wanted to turbo my gto.
Man unfortunately its not quite that easy. Probably why no one offered a single turbo bolt on kit. Depending on year, stuff needs moving or relocating. You'd have to be really mechanically inclined and have good fab skills to do this and be willing to cut some things on your car. I'll list a few things off the top of my head, which arent all but what i can think of right now:

P/s cooler needs removal or relocation
2004 needs to remove coolant reservoir and have a custom tank made, and a filler neck added in top radiator hose. top radiator hose needs to be modded with bends to snake around intercooler pipe
top radiator rubbers need to be replaced with custom offset rubber blocks I make
front of driver fender well, right behind the headlight needs to be cutout, the air intake and turbo discharge pipe goes through here
trans lines need massive bending on the 2004 to move out the way
master cylinder brace needs to be removed or cut in half
power steering rack needs heat wrap
bumper cut up for intercooler
my car i had to use a special bit I made for an air hammer and flatten out the wrinkles in the frame
and i'm sure many other things I forgot.
bend some things for intercooler pipe
cut a notch in the battery tray
grind a couple areas of the cooling fan shroud

only thing I could do is build a manifold and crossover pipe for someone and let them finish the rest. the manifold and crossover is the biggest key to the puzzle and most work to do. This is why I never offered a kit for anyone.

·
Worthless reject member
40,163 Posts
Man unfortunately its not quite that easy. Probably why no one offered a single turbo bolt on kit. Depending on year, stuff needs moving or relocating. You'd have to be really mechanically inclined and have good fab skills to do this and be willing to cut some things on your car. I'll list a few things off the top of my head, which arent all but what i can think of right now:

only thing I could do is build a manifold and crossover pipe for someone and let them finish the rest. the manifold and crossover is the biggest key to the puzzle and most work to do. This is why I never offered a kit for anyone.
i had wanted to do a front mount for some time after seeing a couple of local guys with that setup, but i doing it on either car would not be something i would want to do for this reason.

if i had a high mile car ... or a roller. yeah...

maybe one day i will give you cash to weld me up some manifrodz, and then i'll buy a chinesium snail. one day.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts