LS1GTO.com Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I will say, I could put the car back to stock pretty easily and I don’t feel like I ruined my car, but it would take some fabbing. I built the kit around the car mainly. The piece I cut out in front of the fender I can easily put back. And then put the ps cooler back on. The lines bent out the way wouldn’t hurt them to stay where they are. This isn’t a hack job by any means, it’s just I went through great lengths to make this reliable and not burn stuff up and be easy to change plugs and easy to work on. I can have tho whole kit off the car in less than 20 minutes after putting the car up on ramps. Probably less time than that actually.

·
1 of 40,757
6,397 Posts
LOL if you havent seen my build thread, I already have the same manifold on my car.....i'm building a slightly improved version than mine. Mine has been going for two years so far with no cracking or problems besides having to move the v band

Ah, yes you did. The cast manifold version you did is more memorable. lol

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Ah, yes you did. The cast manifold version you did is more memorable. lol

No sir, that idea got scrapped at the beginning. I did not like how it was going to end up. I had posted a pic of that atrocious contraption and then abandoned ship on it. It never went on my car. I have had a log manifold like this from the very beginning............you lost track of the tread? :(

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Got some more done. Trucking along much faster than I did on my car. I guess because I know exactly what I need to do and where I want to end up even tho I’m tweaking things to fit a little better than mine.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Aight pimps. Worked on it some more last night. I wasn’t happy with cylinder 7 spark plug boot clearance. I probably could have called it good, but that’s not how I roll

too tight

Can now fit a 5/16 drill bit without the sleeve

and starting on the crossover pipe inlet

·
Super Moderator
12,159 Posts
That looks amazing! can't wait to see you merge that port into the step down portion of the log.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
That looks amazing! can't wait to see you merge that port into the step down portion of the log.
Thx. Look at the pic with the drill bit, that tube is in there. It flows perfectly into the transition. It’s not tacked in place yet because it not being there is easier access when building the crossover inlet.

·
Super Moderator
12,159 Posts
Yeah I saw that I guess in my mind I was thinking more about boring the hole and finish welding it. I assume you are using a holesaw to open up the log? Is it super critical in a turbo manifold to ensure there is no lip inside after finish welding?

·
Registered
2005 Pontiac GTO
578 Posts
Is that the #7 cylinder, not #8? I'm trying to figure out the rest of the plumbing based on it being #8 and it wasn't making sense. Looking at yesterday's picture, that's definitely #7. Looks really good!

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Is that the #7 cylinder, not #8? I'm trying to figure out the rest of the plumbing based on it being #8 and it wasn't making sense. Looking at yesterday's picture, that's definitely #7. Looks really good!
I was trying to see how many of you were paying attention.

j/j good catch. My coffee hadn’t kicked in yet lol

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Yeah I saw that I guess in my mind I was thinking more about boring the hole and finish welding it. I assume you are using a holesaw to open up the log? Is it super critical in a turbo manifold to ensure there is no lip inside after finish welding?
Ahh ok.
I used a hole saw on my manifold. It was a bitch. I think I’m gonna use the plasma for it this time. I’m going to practice first on a few pipes and see how that goes.
what I do is use a carbide scribe and outline the tubes once tacked in place. I’ll rough in the hole then I’ll die grind it close to my scribe line. It should not have a lip because this stuff is about 1/8 wall. (.120) I’ll post the holes once I get there. Probably sometime this weekend. I do have to work all day Saturday so I won’t get as much done as I’d like.

·
Super Moderator
12,159 Posts
Hows it going Kfx?

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Sorry fellas. This got put on hold. I went on vacation and the week before it, I had lots to do before we left. We went to Panama City beach for 7 days and we just got back today. I’ll resume on this project in the next day or so. Gotta recuperate.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Yo my dudes. I’ve been busy slacking. Lol. I’ve worked on it a bit but nothing worth posting. Had to redo the down tube to the crossover. I didn’t like the steering shaft clearance it had. All good now

21 - 38 of 38 Posts