LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably in other threads, but I need to know which of the numerous Sirius kits are capable of being wired directly into the stock stereo rather then using the wireless FM transmitter.
Is there a place to plug in on the stock stereo? And if so, where can I get the wiring harness, or does it come with any of the kits?

·
05 Torrid Red Pontiac GT0 6MT
1,096 Posts
There is no plug and there is no "plug and play" solution to hardwire anything into the stock stereo.

Phreddy_Aus (on this board) IS selling a kit to modify the stock stereo to add inputs. However, the installation of this kit requires modifying the stock stereo.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
There's also a hack you can use in which you splice a mini-plug lead (or whatever your source unit takes) right onto the HU's circuit board. It injects your signal directly into the CD input circuit. You run a silent CD in the changer, which opens the circuit and your source plays thru the factory HU.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sirius makes a unit that hard wires the unit to the input antenna on the head unit. I just put one on my GTO and it works much better then the stock FM modulator no more interference from other radio stations.

·
Administrator
9,486 Posts
You can also buy a separate aftermarket wired modulator, I think they're about $30.
I have an XM Commander which includes a wired modulator and I'm very happy with how it works.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Just be aware that the sound quality will be like a strong FM station, even with a wired modulator.

I had an xm commander and hated the sound quality...so bad that I went out and got a 7017 and an XM direct setup. :gr_jest:

·
Administrator
9,486 Posts
badkarma said:
Just be aware that the sound quality will be like a strong FM station, even with a wired modulator.

I had an xm commander and hated the sound quality...so bad that I went out and got a 7017 and an XM direct setup. :gr_jest:
I actually find the sound quality with the Commander to be decent, and I'm usually pretty picky. It's all a matter of individual taste and tolerance.
At least with a wired modulator there is none of the noise and interference you get with the wireless ones.

·
1,096 Posts
quickturbo said:
Sirius makes a unit that hard wires the unit to the input antenna on the head unit. I just put one on my GTO and it works much better then the stock FM modulator no more interference from other radio stations.
You are still stuck with the frequency bandwidth of FM radio. 30 Hz to 15 kHz

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
smyla said:
You are still stuck with the frequency bandwidth of FM radio. 30 Hz to 15 kHz
That is the same as sat radio, at least in theory.
I have a myfi that is hardwired to the monsoon stereo in my Jetta, another Myfi that plays through the FM adapter in my gto, plus I listened to XM on my home ssytem using Myfi of Direct. My advice is to to simply go with the antenna gizmo that sirius sells and call it a day- you won't notice the difference.
Before anyone chimes in a tells you that I have tin ears and you should give phreddy in Aus a call, hear me out:
Sirius has bad sound quality. Not too long ago, XM lowered their sound quality to the same level.There hasn't been an XM vs Sirius thread in long time because people who have had them both know they are both down in ditch sound wise. They overly compressed the sound to add more channels. So, listening to this musical swill, whether through an FM demod, direct connection, or even through my 14 speaker home system will give you the same result- overly compressed sound.Heck, I used to enjoy listening to Deep tracks while sipping a microbrew on saturday nights when the family was asleep. Now, it sounds to crappy to do this. Now, if the sat providers were to up their quality, I'd say yeah, go get the direct mod. So, just get that fm adapter and enjoy listening to Howie .

·
Former user
3,861 Posts
quickturbo said:

+1 no noticable sound quality loss to my ears, but then again I grew up with Ozzy!

·
Registered
312 Posts
dsclark said:
That is the same as sat radio, at least in theory.
I have a myfi that is hardwired to the monsoon stereo in my Jetta, another Myfi that plays through the FM adapter in my gto, plus I listened to XM on my home ssytem using Myfi of Direct. My advice is to to simply go with the antenna gizmo that sirius sells and call it a day- you won't notice the difference.
Before anyone chimes in a tells you that I have tin ears and you should give phreddy in Aus a call, hear me out:
Sirius has bad sound quality. Not too long ago, XM lowered their sound quality to the same level.There hasn't been an XM vs Sirius thread in long time because people who have had them both know they are both down in ditch sound wise. They overly compressed the sound to add more channels. So, listening to this musical swill, whether through an FM demod, direct connection, or even through my 14 speaker home system will give you the same result- overly compressed sound.Heck, I used to enjoy listening to Deep tracks while sipping a microbrew on saturday nights when the family was asleep. Now, it sounds to crappy to do this. Now, if the sat providers were to up their quality, I'd say yeah, go get the direct mod. So, just get that fm adapter and enjoy listening to Howie .

I notice the difference between my XM commander using a wired modulator vs the XM direct module. (I used my commander on the 7017 for a bit)

I have noticed the decrease in sound quality with XM since I became a subscriber in 04. It seems to be better on some stations and even between songs on each station.

I can definetly tell between modulated vs direct though.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
quickturbo said:
Thakns for the replies everyone!
Do you have a model # for this one? I went ahead & purhcased a JVC receiver/boombox/car kit for Sirius, so if I can find the unit you're talking about, I can get this done pretty quick. Maybe I'll use the wireless modulator in my winter junker.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
My myfi has an fm transmitter in it, I assume that some sirius units do, so this could be similar. If not, the gizmo they sell should work on the same principle.
The device plugs in between the HU and the antenna. When you listen to sat (ie, turn the thing on), the outside antenna is disconected in the box and the HU only gets sat which means no interference or bleed.

·
1,096 Posts
I went from FM transmitter to direct connect on my Sirius (aftermarket head unit with an input) and I found that there was a difference in sound quality. Not overly dramatic, but it was there.

On the thought of Sat radio sound quality. It is no where near CD but better than FM. But with all the background noise in a moving car it makes very little difference to me. Listing at home is a whole other story.

p.s. I did not see much difference in SQ when I switched from XM to Sirius in January of this year.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts