LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried out the skar audio evl 6.5 subs in their gto? Got a good deal on a pair of these. They are currently in a home made ported box and actually sound better than the kicker L7 10 currently in my other car. Louder and actually hit lower. Pretty sure they will clear the fuel tank if mounted in the stock location. Just curious if anyone has had any success with them

·
Registered
744 Posts
Didnt use those, I kinda gave up on free air subs. Prefer a 6x9 on the deck and putting the sub somewhere else. With it being quite thing and flexing alot it got real annoying. Id have to get a low powered set with a light voicecoil if I tried it again.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Yes I have them in my GTO, they just barely clears in the stock location but you do have to trim back some sheetmetal for the terminals to clear. As far as the sound, it's ok, you can really tell they don't like being in a "free air" setup.
IMG_20180516_164845.jpg IMG_20180523_134330.jpg IMG_20180516_164840.jpg

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I'd probably be better off building an enclosure for the quarter panel for the skars and moving the coaxials to the rear deck. They sound great in the ported box they're in now. They only need .25 cubic feet of air space in a sealed set up. Shouldn't have a problem fitting. Thanks for the input

·
Registered
183 Posts
Yeah because I'm planning to do the same at some point. That is if I can find the plans for the original side panel box design to build from. I'll either use these subs or buy a 10 and use these for my wife's Jeep.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is the only one I've been able to find with actual measurements. Plan on using it as a beginning point

1 - 7 of 7 Posts