LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomorrow I am going to look at a GTO, black with red leather, M6.
I currently own a '97 TransAm WS6 with the M6 which would be traded in if I go for the GTO. I assume I can take my skip shift eliminator off my car and use it on the GTO, but can I also use my B&M ripper short throw shifter on it or is that LT1 specific?
Now a non-drivetrain related question. Can I get a sunroof, or is it not an option at all? I love my t-tops, but just curious.
Thanks in advance.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
1.the skip shift should work (i believe).
2.the short throw MIGHT work if you perform some sort of modifications to it. (even then it may not work).
3.the GTO does not come with a sunroof. but if you are really serious check out the vendor WEBASTO on the left. they provide the same sunroofs that go on the holdens. i dont think anyone has gotten on yet, so you may be the first

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
i just wanted to point out a typo in my original post b/c i think it is important.
2.the short throw MIGHT work if you perform some sort of modifications to it. (even then it may not work).
if you do a search you will see that some members have had luck modifying shifters for other cars to fit the GTO.
right now there are pretty much only two option. one is the ripshift for about $450. and the other is shift kit that is floating around on ebay. i made a thread entitled "a possible short throw". check that out for more possibilities.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, have been snooping around the site seeing that it's a different type of shifter. I just assumed it would be similar considering it's a T-56.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So why is it that two stage shifter thingy instead of every other T56 shifter I have seen(Viper, Vette, Fbody)? Is that the Australian influence?

·
Registered
54 Posts
my gto has the Webasto sunroof. It's a nice addition, and my dealer charged me zero overhead for the roof. It's nice on the highway especially because there isn't a lot of buffeting.

Is there a consensus on the best short throw kit? My tranny is a bear to get into reverse when it's cold

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Because the GTO's engine and transmission sit further forward than our F-Bodies do. As such, shifter location point which is the same as the F-Body (there are two locations on the T56 to mount shifters), sits further forward. If you use your F-Body shifter, you'll smack your stereo in 1, 3, 5, R unless you make yourself your own shift handle or buy one of the pivot kits like Gravana sells.

I am working on making my own physical stick, but then two other issues arise. 1) the nub out of the shifter base than the stick mounts to clearing the console, and 2) the pivot/fulcrum point may becaome funky by offsetting the shaft back some.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh well neither dealer would budge a penny off of the $33,XXX sticker. I have heard some places in TX and CA are getting them out the door around $24K-$26K and that's what I was hoping for. Oh well. Back to my TA, thanks for the info.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts