LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does everyone sell the same unit or are there different manufacturers? Is there a general preference as to where to purchase one?

Thanks.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't wait. This thing drives me nuts.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I thought it would be a really pain but it has only kicked in about 3 times in the first 200 miles, mostly city driving.

·
Registered
29 Posts
shift light

stormguy03 said:
Just got mine from TByrne today.. installed it while my car was on the lift, having oil changed today. The car is so much more enjoyable to drive.. no more being locked out of 2cd! :p

The shift light still comes on though, guess that's normal. ;)

At what RPM does your shift light come on... Mine has never come on...

·
Registered
80 Posts
You can program it so the shift light never comes on. mine never comes on anymore. And that is right, if the rpms are kept up you never miss a gear.

·
2005 CGM GTO
1,523 Posts
There is no way to program it. If you drive with a heavy foot it will not activate but there will always be times when road or traffic conditions will not permit this and it the CAGS will be activated. The EPA would never allow it to be programmable. Go for the CAGS defeat (skip shift eliminator) and be done with it.

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
My dad was never able to activate it on the car he was driving. He said it is programmed to be a lot less intrusive than the corvette's are.
Dan

·
Registered
50 Posts
B/STOCK said:
There is no way to program it. If you drive with a heavy foot it will not activate but there will always be times when road or traffic conditions will not permit this and it the CAGS will be activated. The EPA would never allow it to be programmable. Go for the CAGS defeat (skip shift eliminator) and be done with it.
You absolutely can program it. You can calibrate every aspect of CAGS, from min/max engagement speeds, TPS tresholds and everything else that effects its operation. But it's cheaper to buy the resistor thing.

·
2005 CGM GTO
1,523 Posts
kevm14 said:
You absolutely can program it. You can calibrate every aspect of CAGS, from min/max engagement speeds, TPS tresholds and everything else that effects its operation. But it's cheaper to buy the resistor thing.

I think the most common train of thought when one hears programming is that there is a simple way that this can be done using controls built into the car and accessible to the owner without attaching external programming software. Sort of like you can program your radio presets.
For most of us the use of the CAGS defeat is the way to solve the skip shift problem. The LS1 edit is a expensive and intrusive way to solve the CAGS problem. I personally do not want to altering the PCM in any way.

·
3,327 Posts
Got my skip-shift eliminator from tbyrne last week. I had to work so havent looked much into it. The instructions say to locate the white connector A on the car's 6-speed transmission. Where do I look for this white connector A?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
69 Posts
skip shift...

I installed the skip shift unit from Mid America Motorworks. It works great....however, now my dash is weirding out on me. I was driving yesterday around 40 mph, it said that I was going 95! At the stop light it said that I was going 55. My wife said, "wow," it feels like we are just standing still." Gotta love her huh? oh....and it also says that I used half a tank of gas in 20 miles. Hmmmmm, I am hoping that it is the skip shift unit and not gremlins in the computer system.....

Warren said:
Got my skip-shift eliminator from tbyrne last week. I had to work so havent looked much into it. The instructions say to locate the white connector A on the car's 6-speed transmission. Where do I look for this white connector A?

Thanks for your help.

·
Yellow Goat
410 Posts
My CAGS eliminator cost $0.20 from Radio Shack. Took about 10 minutes to plug it in. Cheapest way to do it in my opinion and it works great.

http://www.ls1.com/link_cags.html

·
Registered
246 Posts
I bought a skip shift eliminator, but DID NOT INSTALL IT!

I have driven the car 120 miles and can NOT get it to make me skip 2nd and 3rd gear! I have made numerous attempts of stopping and never touching the gas and shifting it right into 2nd gear (like 1,000 rpm roughely) and it goes right into 2nd EVERY time.
My car seems to have a NON functional cags. Its kinda nice though. Does anyone elses car do this? :)

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
It's very non-intrusive. I only activated it driving once without trying - and saw it come on a couple of times when I planned on staying in 1st. What you need to do is start in first and accelerate very slowly, then let off the gas before like 2000k rpm's. You should see the lights come on for the cags. The car also has to be at normal operating temps for it to work.
If you aren't seeing it come on - why bother with installing the kit though?
Dan

1 - 20 of 39 Posts