1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Silver04gto
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tbyrne- 27.99
slp-30.85
speed inc- 18.99

are all these the same if not which one is the better one ?

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
They all do the same thing. I bought mine over on EBAY. Payed 15.00. Never had one problem. Very simple to install too.

·
Still a communist state
12,479 Posts
Black Devil said:
They all do the same thing. I bought mine over on EBAY. Payed 15.00. Never had one problem. Very simple to install too.
+1 it works great no more forced shifting

·
Objects in mirror dont matter
3,777 Posts
2.2k ohm, 1/2 watt resistor across existing plug.
20 cents at radio shack. Spend more if ya wanna....

·
I can haz cheezburgerz??
1,519 Posts
got mine from slp in feb and had no problems since

·
Registered
60 Posts
got any pics or a more formal write up for using the resistor? i might even have a spare one laying around from the old electronic engineering days...

·
Resident SVT Defender
906 Posts
ellisk02 said:
got any pics or a more formal write up for using the resistor...might even have a spare one laying around from the old electronic engineering days...
I wouldn't do it. JMHO, but for $20, you're better off getting the right part, with the weather connectors, instead of a resistor and electrical tape. I paid around $23 shipped from Speedinc on eBay.

·
Goats like to eat
54 Posts
My buddy has one from i don't where , but his light still comes on , but it doesn't force him to do the 1-4 shift . I bought the SLP one, worked right from the get go, no light any more , shift normally.
all in all you get what ya want, just thought I'd tell ya what I know and worked for me. Good Luck

·
Administrator
9,486 Posts
Yes the light will still come on, installing the eliminator does not change that. Only a reprogramming of the instrument cluster can eliminate the light but at least with the eliminator you can now ignore it.
It's best to use one of the premade eliminators rather than just sticking a resistor in the plug, because the kit gives you the correct weather-seal connectors for both the solenoid and harness plugs. It's a quick installation and no need to mess with tape or shrink.
The kits will work for all years, in fact even the ones marked for the older F-bodies will work. The one I got was marked for older cars and not for the GTO but it didn't matter. GM hasn't changed this setup in years.
Finally an FYI regarding the resistor for those who still want to do it that way. Although the popular info indicates that a 2.2K ohm should be used, and apparently it works, the actual value used in the premade eliminators is 25 ohms which is closer to the true DC resistance of the solenoid. I don't know where the 2.2K value came from.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts