LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m the original owner of an 04 GTO. It has always had a tendency to drain the battery if not driven for a period, but recently the issue has gotten worse—To the point that I have had to install a battery cutoff switch (I don’t drive the car every day). BTW, battery is not the issue and system keeps battery charged as long as it is driven every few days.

I always associated the battery drain to the security system. But now that it has gotten much worse, it seems to be something else.

Has anyone had similar issues? Any ideas where to start looking? Thanks!

·
Registered
300 Posts
I’m the original owner of an 04 GTO. It has always had a tendency to drain the battery if not driven for a period, but recently the issue has gotten worse—To the point that I have had to install a battery cutoff switch (I don’t drive the car every day). BTW, battery is not the issue and system keeps battery charged as long as it is driven every few days.

I always associated the battery drain to the security system. But now that it has gotten much worse, it seems to be something else.

Has anyone had similar issues? Any ideas where to start looking? Thanks!
Mine did than, turned out to be a small leak to ground in the alternator, not enough to blow anything, just pull the battery down. Try pulling the wires off it, see what happens.

·
Administrator
9,468 Posts
Connect an ammeter in series with one of the battery terminals, lock the car and allow enough time for the BCM to go into sleep mode then check the drain. If all is well it should be around 30-50 ma or so, much higher is bad.
Look at obvious stuff first like the trunk or glovebox light staying on, those will drain the battery over several days to a week give or take. The glovebox light can get stuck on if the door is sagging and not closing the switch.
If it's not one of those you may have to pull fuses one at a time to find the offending circuit. The alternator is definitely one place to check as well.

·
Cosmos M6 - RIP PBM M6 -375hp
410 Posts
I had/have a similar problem with my 04. I connected a meter in series with the battery to test the current being drawn. I then began pulling fuses until the 200ma draw dropped off to the 30-50 ma expected. Mine ended up being the fuse for the interior cabin/door lights. Pulled the fuse and problem stopped. Have looked over the schematics, but chasing a problem to that level (which bulb) hasn't been on my priority list.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback. I will give these a try and se what I can find.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts