LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Now that I've picked up all of the Brembo calipers I've been hunting for, this sub-forum is the perfect place to share my secret methods.

First off, know that most of the popular 4 piston and 6 piston "CTS-V" calipers are the same basic casting.
4-Piston: CTS-V v1, 5th Gen Camaro, G8 GXP, SS, Regal GS, Vauxhall VXR something-or-other, Opel whatever, probably some other stuff
6-Piston: CTS-V v2, Camaro ZL1, C7 Z06 (steel brakes), some HSV non-AP Racing stuff I think

The key is patience and using camelcamelcamel.com to track the prices of the GM-family OE Brembos on Amazon, SOLD BY Amazon, for their routine liquidation sales.
(Google up camel to the third power if you're concerned about it. No accounts, no malware, no China?)
THIS ISN'T AN ADVERTISEMENT FOR AMAZON OR CAMELCAMELCAMEL, this is just how I've saved a lot of money.

Knowing the above, you can now hunt for the right calipers to go with your Bohnman Customs @itsme4g63 brackets.
  1. Use Rock Auto to look up the part numbers you want to track based on the car:
    Examples:
    CTS v1 - ACDelco 172-2287 --- 4 piston
    CTS v2 - ACDelco 172-2521 --- 6 piston
    C7 Z06 - ACDelco 172-2669 --- 6 piston with vented pistons
  2. Search for those ACDelco part numbers on Amazon
  3. Take the URLs for those calipers, specifically the Amazon product code, and search for them on camelcamelcamel
  4. Observe the regular price fluctuations of these parts and BUY THE DIP!
    Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Pattern
I've been using the method above to track the Corvette calipers with the vented pistons to go on the GTO and the SS. Through tracking them, I've been able to typically buy each caliper for $200 to $300, down from their almost $500 regular price. Throw in some Amazon gift cards or rewards points and it can be under $200 for a very nice OE quality high performance Brembo caliper.

Important final notes; almost every time the price dips hard, its FOR ON ONE CALIPER AT A TIME AND OFTEN WITH ONLY ONE REMAINING.
You will be waiting months in-between one caliper dropping in price and the other one doing the same.
Again, this is the slow play.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
NIce work and very good points for the patient. I like 3xCamel, but I've switched over to using the Keepa browser add-on. It embeds the price history right in the Amazon page you're looking at - you dont have to go to CCC to look it up.

I'm also unafraid from ordering from their Amazon Warehouse Deals division, where they often have 'used' or 'open-box' items. I won't do this for some purchases, but for automotive parts where its hard for anything to be wrong with, I dont mind.

Last month, I picked up a rear brake drum for my '89 Chevrolet truck (Raybestos - looked brand new) for $11 shipped.

In the spring, I got a $400 set of chrome running board/steps for my mother's truck for $60 shipped.

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NIce work and very good points for the patient. I like 3xCamel, but I've switched over to using the Keepa browser add-on. It embeds the price history right in the Amazon page you're looking at - you dont have to go to CCC to look it up.
I haven't heard of Keepa, alternatives are always a good thing. I'm not a fan of shopping browser add-ons and Camel^3 does allow for e-mail alerts sent daily on price changes, so that's my preference.

I'm also unafraid from ordering from their Amazon Warehouse Deals division, where they often have 'used' or 'open-box' items. I won't do this for some purchases, but for automotive parts where its hard for anything to be wrong with, I dont mind.

Last month, I picked up a rear brake drum for my '89 Chevrolet truck (Raybestos - looked brand new) for $11 shipped.

In the spring, I got a $400 set of chrome running board/steps for my mother's truck for $60 shipped.
🤑 (y)

·
The Entenmann's Shim-Sham
12,597 Posts
Is there something like this for retailers other than Amazon? I stopped using them a while back.

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe there's a tracker for Summit Racing, RockAuto or something like them, but I've never seen crazy price deltas on those sites. Amazon will be doing crazy price swings but Rock Auto and Summit were static in their pricing.
Maybe CarID or Walmart? I'm not sure who else would be selling these first hand like Amazon and also have the retail power to slash the prices to clear inventory.

If you check the Amazon listings for the calipers, you'll see there are numerous third parties selling through Amazon, but their prices are always extra high.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
That's funny, I just did this manually when I was in the market for my brembos. I can't remember what I ended up paying off the top of my head but it was on the low end of the fluctuations at the time.

·
Freedom Fighter
871 Posts
Now that I've picked up all of the Brembo calipers I've been hunting for, this sub-forum is the perfect place to share my secret methods.

First off, know that most of the popular 4 piston and 6 piston "CTS-V" calipers are the same basic casting.
4-Piston: CTS-V v1, 5th Gen Camaro, G8 GXP, SS, Regal GS, Vauxhall VXR something-or-other, Opel whatever, probably some other stuff
6-Piston: CTS-V v2, Camaro ZL1, C7 Z06 (steel brakes), some HSV non-AP Racing stuff I think

The key is patience and using camelcamelcamel.com to track the prices of the GM-family OE Brembos on Amazon, SOLD BY Amazon, for their routine liquidation sales.
(Google up camel to the third power if you're concerned about it. No accounts, no malware, no China?)
THIS ISN'T AN ADVERTISEMENT FOR AMAZON OR CAMELCAMELCAMEL, this is just how I've saved a lot of money.

Knowing the above, you can now hunt for the right calipers to go with your Bohnman Customs @itsme4g63 brackets.
  1. Use Rock Auto to look up the part numbers you want to track based on the car:
    Examples:
    CTS v1 - ACDelco 172-2287 --- 4 piston
    CTS v2 - ACDelco 172-2521 --- 6 piston
    C7 Z06 - ACDelco 172-2669 --- 6 piston with vented pistons
  2. Search for those ACDelco part numbers on Amazon
  3. Take the URLs for those calipers, specifically the Amazon product code, and search for them on camelcamelcamel
  4. Observe the regular price fluctuations of these parts and BUY THE DIP!
    View attachment 512468
I've been using the method above to track the Corvette calipers with the vented pistons to go on the GTO and the SS. Through tracking them, I've been able to typically buy each caliper for $200 to $300, down from their almost $500 regular price. Throw in some Amazon gift cards or rewards points and it can be under $200 for a very nice OE quality high performance Brembo caliper.

Important final notes; almost every time the price dips hard, its FOR ON ONE CALIPER AT A TIME AND OFTEN WITH ONLY ONE REMAINING.
You will be waiting months in-between one caliper dropping in price and the other one doing the same.
Again, this is the slow play.
Are you Nick on the GTO Facebook page? There's a guy who sells these occasionally and I wondered how he got them.

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are you Nick on the GTO Facebook page? There's a guy who sells these occasionally and I wondered how he got them.
No, I'm Glynn. lol
I gave up on Facebook GTO groups years ago because all I did was troll the stupidity.
I do have 4 piston Brembos for sale, but I haven't cleaned them yet so I haven't listed them (they'll be here, first). No scalping here.

·
Seriously?
1,863 Posts
I put everything in a cart at Rock Auto and waited. Couldn't find the parts cheaper and as luck would have it, one of the warehouses changed and my shipping went down. For the 1st time ever, the 5% discount made the shipping totally free. Since there are so many cars these calipers can be adapted to work on, I doubt prices are gonna go down ever. Happy hunting, the Brembos on the GTO are so worth it. I'd do it again no question about it.

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Definetly need to watch local buy/sell groups. I picked up an entire set of cts-v 6 piston front/4 rear for 400 bucks.
Brand new? Color other than silver?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts