LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not long after getting my GTO, I've been having the "Slow Start Problem". Sometimes I have to crank it two or three times before it will start. It can be any time (cold or hot). I don't think it is a fuel problem because it has already flooded once (cold). I have checked thru previous posts and found someone else having a similar issue. The last post said the fuel pump was replaced but that still didn't fix it. I am reluctantly taking it to the dealer tomorrow. I have the feeling that they won't be able to recreate the problem (previous experiance). :banghead: In the past few days, I have noticed it feels harder to shift. I also think the clutch slips from time to time. It has a weird smell. I printed out the "Thunk in the Trunk" and "Hard to select gears" TSB's found here, to take with.

This is a great Board! :hail:
Thanks!

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
Is it slow cranking or long cranking time?

·
Goat Boy
7 Posts
Awegto,

It sounds like the fuel pressure regulator. I had that problem on a 2000 5.3 liter GMC Sierra. replaced it Friday morning and starts right away now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I took it back to the dealer today. They called me a rew minutes ago saying they will need to keep the car for a while to complete the "hard to select gears" TSB. I reminded them about the "Thunk in the Trunk" one, too. They said they are still checking into the starting issue. Luckily, as I was leaving the dealer, the mechanic had a problem starting it to take it into the shop.

I'll keep everyone posted.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
The slow starting issue I had wasn't with getting it to start. It was after the engine turned over that it took on a low (200rpm idle) sounding like it would die, then it would pick up to normal after a few seconds. It hasn't done that in over a month (daily driver) and I never bothered to mention it to my dealer.

Oh, and I'm at 3389mi now in case that makes a difference to you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just got the car back from the dealer. It seems to be ok so far. I won't be able to check it all out until the weekend. It did start right up though.
Here is what the the paperwork says...
1. Found fuel system will not hold pressure - Replace fuel pump
FP Number 92120576 - Module 3.107
2. Retourque pressure plate bolts as per bullitin # 04-04-31-003
3. Install insulators and bolts as per bullitin #04-03-09-003A
FP Number 90447991 Retainer 5.381
FP Number 92038482 Bolt 5.381

1 - 7 of 7 Posts