LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have a question for everyone out there.

As you know, I have a 4AT goat. Since I have had it, every once in a while, I get what I would consider a slow start - the engine turns over and after a few seconds it picks up to a cold idle. Now, 9 out of 10 times it starts normally with a good roar. But every now and again I get this slow start. I originally thought it indicative of a crappy battery, but I replaced the battery on Friday and got a slow start on Saturday evening. Any ideas as to what this may be? I haven't talked to my dealer about this as yet. Thanks!

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Slow start

phobos512 said:
Ok I have a question for everyone out there.

As you know, I have a 4AT goat. Since I have had it, every once in a while, I get what I would consider a slow start - the engine turns over and after a few seconds it picks up to a cold idle. Now, 9 out of 10 times it starts normally with a good roar. But every now and again I get this slow start. I originally thought it indicative of a crappy battery, but I replaced the battery on Friday and got a slow start on Saturday evening. Any ideas as to what this may be? I haven't talked to my dealer about this as yet. Thanks!
Can you define the start condition a little more for us? Slow crank? Fast crank, but long to catch? Other?

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry for not being clear in my original post.

It doesn't sound to me like it's anything to do with the starter. The starter does its thing and the engine turns over. It almost sounds like the engine is going to stall, but it goes into an idle at like 200RPM, then jumps up to about 1000 and settles down to a normal idle. After that, it behaves normally.

On a normal start, it jumps right up to 1000RPM and then settles back down.

And like I said, it's pretty rare. Since Thursday it's happened once. It doesn't seem dependent upon environment because it has happened both from a cold start (say, the first of the day) and from a warm start (running to the grocery store with the car sitting in 100+ F temps).

·
GTOWILL
236 Posts
This happens to me with about the same frequency. I have a M6.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
phobos512 said:

It doesn't sound to me like it's anything to do with the starter. The starter does its thing and the engine turns over. It almost sounds like the engine is going to stall, but it goes into an idle at like 200RPM, then jumps up to about 1000 and settles down to a normal idle. After that, it behaves normally.

And like I said, it's pretty rare. Since Thursday it's happened once. It doesn't seem dependent upon environment because it has happened both from a cold start (say, the first of the day) and from a warm start (running to the grocery store with the car sitting in 100+ F temps).
Any codes show in the DIC holding down 'mode' and 'set' and doing a diagnostic?

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I get slow starts if the engine hasn't been turned off for very long. Like going to the store for about 5 minutes. I just figured it was the computer making a weird adjustment for temperature. The car always starts right away so I never thought twice about it until you mentioned it.
:drink: :drink:

·
Registered
392 Posts
phobos512, I have an A4. I haven't gotten any engine idle like yours. 1160 miles.

Old goat said, Codes, sensors. Check behind the glove box. OLD Goat knows what they are!! COS Good luck...

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tails - Yes, she does always start right up; Sometimes just doesn't seem as enthused as I am :) Kind of like my last girlfriend, lol...

Is the procedure for the diagnostic in the manual? I know for sure that I don't get any weird lights or anything.

·
4L60E+moded ls1+saudi = bad
710 Posts
phobos512 said:

one of my friends had the same exact problem, he toke it to the dealer and they fixed it. i dont know what was the problem but i guess it could be a loss sensor or somethin, just take it to your dealer and they will fix it

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Dark said:
...he toke it to the dealer and they fixed it...
How'd they fix it? With bong hits? :D

Anyway, my M6 with 5500+ miles has never given me this "slow start" condition. It is an interesting symptom and I am eager to hear how it was fixed. Keep us "posted".

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
I know this will take this a complete other direction, but in case this happens to someone else. Friend of mine at work, signed up here as ChicagoKiwi, had starting issues with his car. It would just crank and crank. There appeared to be no rhyme or reason as to when it would happen. Sometimes it worked fine. It was also one of those things that wouldn't rear it's ugly head for the service folks.

Anyway, after them having his car for a while, they replaced the fuel pump and everything was better. Other than the fact that they scratched the hell out of his rear deck speaker grills (which I have to remember to ask him if they ever replaced).

I'll get him to read this and hopefully reply.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Huntress -

The fuel pump is what I think may be the issue in my car. I'm going to print the thread off eventually and give it to my service manager (she told me to do exactly that if I ever had questions) and see what they have to say about it.

Does anyone know if the pump is external to the tank (I'm assuming that it is)?

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
Ummmm.... here's an update to my post from yesterday.

My friend told me his starting problems have returned... this after the fuel pump replacement. No resolution yet, as this just was discussed with him yesterday.

Not sure if the pump is external or not, but they did remove the rear deck to get to it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts