LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am truly amazed that we are seeing 16 psi with a 402 cid engine! We're not quite done tuning yet, but it looks like 16 psi is all we're going to make, as boost is leveling off. 757 rwhp is not shabby on a Mustang chassis dyno, this would be approx 800 rwhp on a Dynojet. I have to look this morning to see what heads are on this engine. We'll finish tuning this morning and I'll post the dyno results.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com/projectCar.php?car=42
Here is a link to this Trans-Am, although it is not a GTO, it will give you an idea of what a 402 with a D-1SC is capable of. Bob

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Wonderful output! That's a lot of air. Does ATI publish compressor maps?

·
GTO...Austalian for Pontiac!
1,527 Posts
My 408W has arrived w/ the D2 blower ['66 Mustang 'vert project]...and I have yet to see any posted info on this blower. It is actually more than I will ever use. And man, is it HUGE!

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MTBDOC said:
My 408W has arrived w/ the D2 blower ['66 Mustang 'vert project]...and I have yet to see any posted info on this blower. It is actually more than I will ever use. And man, is it HUGE!
That is going to be one quick '66! Bob

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
I want video! :turbonaug :ftw:

·
Old Guys Rule
3,076 Posts
Nice work Bob!!!

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dyno results

Here is one of the runs we made, this car is consistantly putting out 750 to 757 rwhp, run after run, all on 93 octane unleaded! The torque is right up there close to the horsepower! Bob

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
This is awesome. Gives me some idea of what can be done with FI on a 402. My next endeavor is a 402 with an APS TT. Things are about to get very interesting this winter....

·
Mongillo Motors
1,008 Posts
pharmdgto said:
This is awesome. Gives me some idea of what can be done with FI on a 402. My next endeavor is a 402 with an APS TT. Things are about to get very interesting this winter....

402 + FI = BIG POWER!

Bob, Congrats. on the numbers!

pharmdgto, our Mustang Dyno is being built now and will be ready by the end of October. First car on the dyno will be my GTO, 402, AFR 225 & the new, larger turbo. The car is making serious power with the new turbo so I should have some good numbers for you to get an idea on your TT 402 project.

Ed

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am truly amazed that we are seeing 16 psi with a 402 cid engine! We're not quite done tuning yet, but it looks like 16 psi is all we're going to make, as boost is leveling off. 757 rwhp is not shabby on a Mustang chassis dyno, this would be approx 800 rwhp on a Dynojet. I have to look this morning to see what heads are on this engine. We'll finish tuning this morning and I'll post the dyno results.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com/projectCar.php?car=42
Here is a link to this Trans-Am, although it is not a GTO, it will give you an idea of what a 402 with a D-1SC is capable of. Bob
Hi there, Is that about the limit for the D-1SC on a 402? I dont know what forced induction to install on my 402 project! I wanted the instant torque of the whipple but there doesnt seem to be a kit available? So then I looked at the procharger F1-C, it looks like the power comes on at a lower rpm.. is this right?

·
Drives With Hands
406 Posts
Hi there, Is that about the limit for the D-1SC on a 402? I dont know what forced induction to install on my 402 project! I wanted the instant torque of the whipple but there doesnt seem to be a kit available? So then I looked at the procharger F1-C, it looks like the power comes on at a lower rpm.. is this right?
Any centrifugal supercharger will produce boost pressure in a square relationship to RPM (roughly). The F1 is just a bigger compressor capable of flowing a greater volume for larger engines, and doing so efficiently without horrific heating of charge air, which is what happens when you spin a small compressor much beyond its peak efficiency area.

The gentleman in post #2 (mistermike) is putting together something similar to what you're looking for (402 with a 3.4L twin screw). There is no compromise for that instantaneous boost response and compressor efficiency!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Any centrifugal supercharger will produce boost pressure in a square relationship to RPM (roughly). The F1 is just a bigger compressor capable of flowing a greater volume for larger engines, and doing so efficiently without horrific heating of charge air, which is what happens when you spin a small compressor much beyond its peak efficiency area.

The gentleman in post #2 (mistermike) is putting together something similar to what you're looking for (402 with a 3.4L twin screw). There is no compromise for that instantaneous boost response and compressor efficiency!
Thank you for your advise rmpage

·
Registered
1,529 Posts

Here is one of the runs we made, this car is consistantly putting out 750 to 757 rwhp, run after run, all on 93 octane unleaded! The torque is right up there close to the horsepower! Bob
Nice work Bob (very smooth power/torque graphs, must be your expert tuning) though I think we will soon see some twin turbo 402 engines shade that power/torque graph. ;) :D :turbonaug :thumbs:

Peter

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Peter, I think... lol

The F1A would be the blower I would upgrade to from the D-1SC, as the D-1SC is maxed out on the 402 at 16 psi. The F1A would be coasting at 16 psi, and would not create as much heat. The F1A on a 402 could easily push 900 rwhp on a combination like this one. Bob

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks Peter, I think... lol

The F1A would be the blower I would upgrade to from the D-1SC, as the D-1SC is maxed out on the 402 at 16 psi. The F1A would be coasting at 16 psi, and would not create as much heat. The F1A on a 402 could easily push 900 rwhp on a combination like this one. Bob

Bob, what are the modifications to the engine bay required for the F1A and how soon does the boost arrive?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts