LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just ordered a set of slp lt's with the high flow cats. how hard is the install on these? i have a lift at work and plenty of tools. also is everything i need included? will i be able to feel the difference when i put them in? how much louder can i expect it to be? i already have a borla catback and lpe intake.
thanks

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
You will notice a differance in the tone, and rumble. I am not sure of the sound you wil get out of the Borla. Not farmiliar wit that exhaust.

I installed s9779's (Sean) SLP LT's with cats on his 05' last night. Not that bad to do. Having a lift helps alot. Leave the headers loose against the head to reinstall the steering components, and the cats, and related pipes. Then tighten the headers against the head, and work your way back tightening the pipes, and cats.

Power, you should get a good seat of the pants fealing out of them. Get a tune, and you will have a good power increase.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info. i plan on a tune in the future. cartek is only 2 blocks from my house. i wanted some seat of the pants feel for now. i am also working on my pedders track 2. will i blow any codes after this install?

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
Please. Give your comments Sean. You drove the car, you have a better idea of the performance than I do. I just do the installs. :pimp:

You should not have any codes for a while. You are going with cats.

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
The problem is with any high flow cats. they do not do what stock cats do. They still clean the air. Just flow too well to moniter correctly. When the car is tuned. You just need to have the rear o2's deleted. They will still be in the pipes, and hooked up to the wiring. Just not functioning.

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
Not really sure. I've heard as soon as 1,500 miles. Mine came on about then. I do not have cats. Mine now come on very quikly.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i guess your car has yet to see a tune. will it still run ok? so i should plan on a tune as well in the near future.

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
I have noticed when the light comes on. My milage heads for the floor. It seams to fall on it's face at high RPM's. I have not had a tune. You are right. I just bought a hand held tuner. My deal with this is. I want the ability to have the stock tune ready for reinstall. Getting a custom dyno tune without having a hand held tuner. You will loose your factory tune. My reason is for 20 years down the road. Don't think I could take my car to the dealer for a retune.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well the slp's are ordered. looks like they are about 2 weeks back ordered. that sux! i was looking foward to putting them in this weekend. ohh well it will give me some time to save for the tune. the more i research i do it seems i am going to have to have it tuned. now do i do a basic tune or do i do a full blown dyno tune? just not sure what i am going to do.

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
I'm doing a full blown tune after headers. Till then, just a tune with a hand held programmer.

·
This Goat bites!
139 Posts
Jimsgto, if you can afford the dyno tune take that route. Look at my gains after LT's, tune & CAI. The tune, LT's & CAI really woke up the Goat! Take that approach if you can.
Good luck!

·
Registered
359 Posts
first advice to give u when u r ready to install get a buddy to help. so one person can work the bottom half and the other does to top half. cuts install time . ive got the slp lts with high flow cats and corsa sport. it through codes just about every 100 miles then stopped , i disconnected battery. finally installed cs perform intake it though code then i revved it one time code gone. havent had it tuned yet . give an idea of how loud a buddy came over and i revved it he said he just about creamed in his pants.

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
You had a rich condition at first. Adding a CAI, you leaned it out. It does help. But really hides the problem. You've brought it back into parameters to make you PCM happy. Don't be surprised if you get another code again soon.

·
Created in hatred
13,114 Posts
Took me one day to get codes 0420 and 0430 (cat bank 1 and 2) I read them and deleted them with my scangauges (fookin r0x0r!) and will have it all programmed out on Saturday when I get tuned!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks for all the input guys. i think when they do come i will put them in and get just the basic tune for now. i can always stick it on the dyno later. i have the borla catback already on there and just want it a little louder. not looking for a ton of hp. still a daily driver.

·
Ka-Boom!
1,987 Posts
Black Devil said:
I'm doing a full blown tune after headers. Till then, just a tune with a hand held programmer.
Thats exactly my thoughts and the professional tune was SO much better than anything I did with the predator. But, I cant claim to be a prodigy with that predator either.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
after they go on i will be taking it to cartek. they are only 2 blocks from my house. dave said they can do it 2 ways. 1st is a known ls1 tune done that works well. or he can do a dyno tune and match my car to all the mods. the first is cheaper and i think the way i am going to go. i will save some money and have it dyno tuned next year. i dont think i want to waste the money on a pocket tuner.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts