LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed:

- SLP polyurethane bushings to replace links in rear sway bar. OE rubber bushings are like pudding and these not only look great but offer a performance gain.

-Install was simple and can be done fairly quickly with only a few tools needed. removing OE requires removing one bolt from the link, pull off link, then punch pin out of the center. This is probably the most difficult step and i followed SLP instructions by putting link bar in vice, using same size socket up against pin, and hammer it out. WD40 helps.

-Reinstall after you put SLP bushings (they come in halves unlike the OE) and the pin in the center. I greased them, you don't have to.

-SLP says to torque bolts to 72ft lbs. ??? This is alot and difficult to do because of work area under the car. I managed 60lbs and called it quits. I kinda doubt that bolt can take it.

Test drive: No problems, no noise. Hard to tell a difference. Great product, easy install. Recommended to anyone.

Note: SLP rear sway end bushings i ordered and will install later. Full performance gain requires you do both IMO. No sense doing part of the sway bar.

I'll have pics. Don't have my camera presently.

Any questions on install, etc. PM me

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Adam4356 said:
Installed:

- SLP polyurethane bushings to replace links in rear sway bar. OE rubber bushings are like pudding and these not only look great but offer a performance gain.

-Install was simple and can be done fairly quickly with only a few tools needed. removing OE requires removing one bolt from the link, pull off link, then punch pin out of the center. This is probably the most difficult step and i followed SLP instructions by putting link bar in vice, using same size socket up against pin, and hammer it out. WD40 helps.

-Reinstall after you put SLP bushings (they come in halves unlike the OE) and the pin in the center. I greased them, you don't have to.

-SLP says to torque bolts to 72ft lbs. ??? This is alot and difficult to do because of work area under the car. I managed 60lbs and called it quits. I kinda doubt that bolt can take it.

Test drive: No problems, no noise. Hard to tell a difference. Great product, easy install. Recommended to anyone.

Note: SLP rear sway end bushings i ordered and will install later. Full performance gain requires you do both IMO. No sense doing part of the sway bar.

I'll have pics. Don't have my camera presently.

Any questions on install, etc. PM me
Part numbers and cost when you have a minute Adam? Did you say 'hard to tell the difference' meaning little perceived improvement, or???

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
How many HP did it add?

Oh sorry wrong forum.

I was thinking about buying the parts and trying the install but I want to see if BMR is coming out with a sway bar soon.

Thanks

Keep us informed.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Part #: 73006 Price: 34.95 + shipping

These i ordered....

Part#: 73005 Price: 24.95 + shipping

Check SLP website on left.

Yes, hard to tell the difference with these. Like any performance bushings you can't test for results without running a road course or drag racing. The claim is reduced wheel hop, and better handling. This is believable especially with how soft the OE stuff is.
The stabilizer bar is pretty thin OE so maybe BMR will come out with something better eventually. I can even see GM doing a OE suspensino package on future GTO (such as the 1LE Fbody).
I did these because of minimal cost, ease of install, and i don't plan on upgrading the suspension any. Basic bolt on speed parts and tires will be my next conquest.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Adam4356 said:

Part #: 73006 Price: 34.95 + shipping

These i ordered....

Part#: 73005 Price: 24.95 + shipping

Check SLP website on left.

Yes, hard to tell the difference with these. Like any performance bushings you can't test for results without running a road course or drag racing. The claim is reduced wheel hop, and better handling. This is believable especially with how soft the OE stuff is.
The stabilizer bar is pretty thin OE so maybe BMR will come out with something better eventually. I can even see GM doing a OE suspensino package on future GTO (such as the 1LE Fbody).
I did these because of minimal cost, ease of install, and i don't plan on upgrading the suspension any. Basic bolt on speed parts and tires will be my next conquest.
Thanks for the info! The stock suspension is SUPPOSED to be the FE2 sport suspension, but we all know how that goes. It's a compromise. Once you install the chassis bushings as well, I'm confident you'll feel the difference. :D

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally some pics for you all....

Sorry it took so long. I have the SLP end bushings and you can see them in black up high on the sway bar. It looks like the sway bar goes over the diff and getting the end bushings will mean pulling off the sway bar and slipping them on. Seems to be a little harder than the link bushings you see in red. I'll get on it once i get some free time away from work.

·
GO STEELERS!
5,106 Posts
Notice a difference yet?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts