LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'll post more commentary later, but here are some pics of what's going on with my buildup.

Ron(pictured above) and Brian are the two techs doing the buildup. Very knowledgable and don't seem to mind my 5000 questions. Thanks guys!

Manely Chomoly pushrods

A picuture of the two manifolds side by side. The stocker is almost 1" smaller at the collector! The exit is definately smoother on the JBA header

The SLP head, it is the newest version of their heads. The cam is the same they have been using for a while now but this newest version of the head is supposedly worth another 15-20 crank hp.

A close-up of the combustion chamber. The valves or only slightly bigger than stock, but swirl polished. I couldn't get a decent pic to show you guys though.

The ports on the LS6 heads are considerably larger than the ones on the stock LS1.

The runners have been opened up slightly as well

The pic of the stamped "LS6" didn't come out so well in the pic

This is the stock Y pipe vs. the random tech replacements. Consideralby larger is an understatement. I'm hoping for some decent gains with these in conjunction with the JBA's

You can't see it too well, but they just finished installing the SLP double roller timing chain.

After staring at this pic for a while, it might be time to address the bottom end of the motor. A stroker bottom end perhaps :sneaky:

It's empty now but I'll be adopting the SLP loudmouth or powerflow as soon as they become available.

My poor car only has 1900 miles on it, what have I done!! :eek2:

Another side by side of the Random tech replacements purchased through PFYC, shipped very fast I might add.

The neck is so tiny on this pic of the Y pipe.

That freaking tranny is so heavy. Ron told me it was, but I had to see for myself. That is why it's still sitting on the ground.

This is the secret bay. I pulled back the cover so you guys could see the GTO embelm. :cool:

Very spacious in here. Is that my engine over there in pieces? Do I still have a warranty now?

I warned ya! I'll give some commentary on some of the pics later. Enjoy!!!!!!
Well, I have to say I'm anxious. I am having withdrawl right now. I really want the exhaust system from SLP!! If you are reading this Joey hurry up!. I was really tempted to order the borla, but I'm going to wait it out the next 3 weeks until they become available.
My MPD airbox and CS tube should be here late this week as well. I'm not really sure what the output will be. Any guesses? I know I'll lose out some because of the header combo I've chosen. I'm hoping for high 300's. If I cracked the 400 mark I would be elated. I left the shop around 4:30 and got a call around 6-7 saying the entire motor was back together. They just need to put it back in the car now. Did I mention Brian and Ron had the motor out of the car and on the ground in 2 hours?!?!?!

Thanks for all the cool responses. Any suggestions on what the next bolt-ons should be? I'll be looking for some ideas if you guys have any.

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
Hate to see it gutted but I bet it will be awesome when complete!!

·
Great Lakes Moderator
2,358 Posts
I hear a huuuge sucking sound... is that your wallet being emptied?
LOL
wow, looks like a pretty good upgrade! let us know how it comes out!!!!

·
4L60E+moded ls1+saudi = bad
710 Posts
MAN! nice high quality pics "[email protected] 56ers"

can you wait? if i were you i'd sleep there :cry: :cry:

i'll be waiting to see MORE! DUDE I'd be MORE than happy to see videos as well even useless videos to you could be good to me, i enjoy anything about GTO's lol :thumbs:

thats the 485 SLP heads cam kit am i wrong?

damni found somethin to keep starring at all night long :eek2:
dont make me go to the US just to watch that :banghead:

·
Registered
593 Posts
gtodoug:

Incredible pics. Looks like absolutely top quality all the way being done with care. Bring on the next installment.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for the responses. I've sent my computer out to Fast chips. That should get the car a good baseline and up and running. Once I get all my bolt on's actually on the car, I'll be heading up towards tampa to see tiggerfan at revxtreme so that Jeremy can give me a good tune.

·
Registered
46 Posts
-you should also upgrade the rear diff to KAAZ lsd it will handle the power maybe 3.73??
-and sorry but the heads job with the valves seems low quality compared to mti
-clutch upgrade
and what about some boost ? :gr_jest:
hope you could enjoy it soon

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I plan too enjoy it very soon. I understand there will be people that will suggest different/better/worse heads/cam combos and quality being better or worse but this setup worked for me in many ways. As long as the results are postitive that's all I'm looking for. Thanks for the input though.

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
gtodoug said:
Thanks guys for the responses. I've sent my computer out to Fast chips. That should get the car a good baseline and up and running. Once I get all my bolt on's actually on the car, I'll be heading up towards tampa to see tiggerfan at revxtreme so that Jeremy can give me a good tune.
Hey Doug do you think it will be a weekend you come up? Please let us know in advance maybe we can schedule something and meet up. I definitely would like to see your ride after all that

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
dbluegoat- I'm not sure. I would really love for it to be but I'm thinking it will be sometime during the week to be honest with you. I'll let you know in advance, but the only thing I am waiting on is for the exhaust and intake to get here. Intake will be here this week and exhaust at the end of the month. My original plan was to have the car flatbed'd up there but I didn't want the tune done till all the parts are on. I'll have to live with the mailorder tune for now.

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
Great pics Doug. :cool: Not fun watching sausage being made, but someone's gotta do it, eh? ;)

Let us know the results once you get it dynoed.

Padre

·
Registered
6 Posts
DOUG GREAT PICS

I like the professional care the techs are taking on the installation. Where can I get the package installed.
Just kidding.
The guys took very good care of your car.

we will see on thursday if you will like to take it out for a run

cat

·
Registered
119 Posts
This tread and ones like are what make this site rock. We get to live vicariously through others and dream of what can be done to our rides. Thanks fatcyat, for taking the time to post all of your pics and commentary.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Great pics. Thats cool to see it step by step in a way. Your car is gonna be a runner for sure. Yeah, some coin dropped but some coin invested as well. Enjoy that setup and don't hurt yourself with it :hail:

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I need to buy more Lotto tickets. Or even one.........
:drink::drink:

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
I guess I'm weird. I love seeing the car all torn down. It gives me a view of stuff I wouldn't be able to see on my own. And makes it easier for me If I decide to tare into mine.,.

Thanks for the pics and keep'm coming. Good luck with the mods,,,

·
GM master tech
278 Posts
Very nice DOUG, thanks for the pics. Seeing it torn down like that is down right sexy, she's gettin' surgery :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts