LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
TBYRNE Performance
4,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

You can now replace your GTO’s bulky front skid plate for this lightweight SLP unit and shave over 12 pounds directly off the front of the car. Built entirely from powder-coated aluminum tubing, it allows for easy access to the oil filter and drain plug.

Our price for this is $149.99. Orders can be placed online or by calling 1-877-482-9763.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
2 questions - does it say SLP on it anywhere? And why is this thing $40 more than BMR's aluminum one which is a full plate? Is that just the beauty of the SLP name?

·
late owner of a 2004
701 Posts
phobos512 said:
2 questions - does it say SLP on it anywhere? And why is this thing $40 more than BMR's aluminum one which is a full plate? Is that just the beauty of the SLP name?
Not sure on the reason for price. But I would be concerned that GM made the plate cover then entire oil pan for a reason. Now SLP has it wide open. I would like to know answer to why it is open. is it just for looks and for a show car or does it really work???

·
Single Digit Stick Shift
4,088 Posts
phobos512 said:

Because it is powdercoated.

Any manufactured product is going to sell far more expensively than the cost of materials. It all resides in the secondary operations, overhead, and markups.

·
Registered
459 Posts
BillyGoatGruff said:
Welded construction also.

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
BillyGoatGruff said:

Any manufactured product is going to sell far more expensively than the cost of materials. It all resides in the secondary operations, overhead, and markups.
So is my BMR for $40 bucks more and it matches my car and it covers everything, that one above looks useless just take the stock one off

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
I thought about the function of the skid plate and the difference between SLP and BMR or OE for that matter. The SLP unit doesn't strike me as the oil filter hangs through it but rather just provides enough metal so that if you ram a curb or elk you don't shear the oil pan and filter off.

Both units probably protect equally. The SLP may actually be stronger and be able to withstand a big hit as apposed to a "more show" quality aluminum BMR piece.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts