LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does everyone think about getting the smaller pulley? I'm seriously considering it for next week when I get heads, cam and headers put on the car. I'm a little concerned about lack of adequate charging at low engine rpm and wondering if it will really make any noticeable difference performance wise.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
i assume you are talking about a crank pulley right?
there was a discussion about this a few months ago when 1COOLPC did his. i wil try to find it. should answer all your questions.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I think I will go with that, I kinda like the whole idea of it. More efficient and more power. Win win in my book.

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
It isn't WORTH it! All it allows is for the belt drive to spin up quicker with the rest of the motor.

The downside is if you sit in traffic with your lights on, wipers on, stereo on, HVAC on, and any other electrical load you can think of. You'll end up having to rev the car slightly at every light just to keep it charging sufficiently/adeqautely.

I know, I have one on one car.

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
6000 miles on my 25% underdriven APS pulley on my heads/cam/bolt-ons package. Haven't noticed any problems at all with charging or accessories.

Padre

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
It already idles at 1,000 - 1,100 rpm.

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
I don't agree with CMNT. A smaller drive pully requires less energy to drive the rest of the assembly, this would free up a little more hp to the wheels. If Padre is running a 25% w/ no problems then it is likely not a problem on this car. I have seen many cars with pullys that have no problems. It really depends on the rest of the system. Most of the cars that I have seen w/ problems have change all the pullys and had the ratios mixed up. Some cars do have issues with cooling and charging but it is not a universal problem.

That said, you may gain more w/ an electric water pump than w/ a pully.

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
I'd just add that my idle is around 1000rpms - not because of the pulley, but because of the cam. So maybe that compensates - don't know.

Padre

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
I bet I gained about 3-4 rwhp from my pulley on a heads and cammed motor. HOWEVER, in retrospect, due to the driveability issues, it isn't a mod to me that is worth it.

I said that it allows for the quicker spin up of the pulley drive system, that translates to more power going to the flywheel instead, however, 3-4 rwhp isn't worth having to sit at stop lights at night revving the engine to 1,500 - 2,000 rpm to get it to charge sufficiently on a loud motor (if you catch my drift).

If electric water pumps were out at the time I did my pulley (I did it when I did the motor), I would've gone that route instead. But for the 100 miles per year I put on the car, I'm not going to waste my time pulling it and to put on an electric water pump.

Sometimes you need to do a cost vs, benefit analysis and I'll be brutally honest with you guys, the only time you get your dollars worth on bolt on mods with these motors is unplugging the intake and exhaust restrictions.

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
I bet I gained about 3-4 rwhp from my pulley on a heads and cammed motor. HOWEVER, in retrospect, due to the driveability issues, it isn't a mod to me that is worth it.
Ok, I can accept that.

CMNTMXR57 said:
Sometimes you need to do a cost vs, benefit analysis and I'll be brutally honest with you guys, the only time you get your dollars worth on bolt on mods with these motors is unplugging the intake and exhaust restrictions.
And cam. Dollar for dollar the cam seemed a good buy, maybe better buy than headers. Or is that not a bolt on?

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
I wouldn't consider a bumpstick a "bolt-on" mod. :D

That's an internal change

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
Your headers will also reap their benefits commensurately further down the road when you do a heads/cam or just cam and/or a blower.

A pulley won't.

Matter of fact, I wouldn't waste the money on heads and cam if you didn't do headers. You go through all the work, cost and effort to increase the engine itself's volumetric efficiency, but strangle it the minute it blows into the stock manifolds. That's money wasted personally.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
I toyed with the idea of doing the pulley but for the money and effort you dump in installing it isn't worth it for most people.

I consider it like a TB where for hundreds of dollars you can gain 5hp. What percentage of 350hp is 5hp ? Thats my point.

Know i can see how you can argue then a catback and 10hp is not much of a gain but you get the sound and intimidation to go with it. Not to mention the finished product (full exhaust) nets you ~40hp, which is something you can feel.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts