LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As ridiculous as this may sound, I floored my car at a stop sign the other day just to see if I could smoke my tires without powerbraking. Needless to say, YES, I can smoke my tires. Problem is, when I went back to view the aftermath of my juvenile act, there was only one black mark, albeit 60 foot long. Doesn't this car have a posi-track rear end? Shouldn't I have left two black marks? Two would have looked alot cooler :eek2:

·
Autobahn Fahrer
2,811 Posts
Time for an independent witness. Find an empty parking lot or lonely stretch of road and a willing witness.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
You've probably got a bad LSD. Remove rubber buildup from rear quarter panels, any really obnoxious mods, and go see the dealer. If you torch another one, get a Kaaz and call it a day.

·
I love my Goat!
5,963 Posts
Once I got used to the car, I did a couple of burnouts. I get 2 black lines, but one is darker than the other. (t/c off, of course)

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses. I have the Predator performance tune installed and have tweaked the shift timing a little, by 3%. I hope I didn't screw something up by doing that. I'll put those points back down to 0% when I get home tonight and try laying a little rubber later in the week when it stops raining here. If I still get one strip, I'll put it back to the factory tune and take it to the dealer and see what I can get done. I think I should spend the $100 with RWTD and get a custom tune...wish I'd found this website two weeks ago as I paid $435 for my Predator without any custom inputs.

·
KBAS
221 Posts
I also paid for a Predator without any custom inputs.... :banghead: :bomb:

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
I'm having a little trouble making the mental leap from "only one side getting traction" to "change the tune" The two are utterly unrelated. Going back to stock tune might be a good idea to keep the dealer out of your mix, but there's no way a tune is going to cause one side to lose traction. If it was going to break, it would have done so regardless.

·
NASCAR-A-HOLIC
1,211 Posts
I posted something the otherday about 1 burnout mark. All I got back was there should be 2. Going to bring it back to dealer and have it checked. Kinda tweaked that a new car has front tire rub in the front and a jacked diff with 2000 miles on it. :barf:

·
2004 Torrid Red GTO
1,119 Posts
keep in mind that a Posi rear end (which the GTO has) does not garantee both wheels will spin, it just puts the power to the wheel with the MOST traction instead of to the wheel with the LEAST traction (as is the case with a standard diff). So I don't think you necessarily have a problem. Any thoughts?

·
Seriously?
1,567 Posts
RedThunder said:
keep in mind that a Posi rear end (which the GTO has) does not garantee both wheels will spin, it just puts the power to the wheel with the MOST traction instead of to the wheel with the LEAST traction (as is the case with a standard diff). So I don't think you necessarily have a problem. Any thoughts?

A Posi should be spinning both wheels, at least on a dead stop take off. If only one wheel is spinning, then chances are it is either burnt out or defective. An open rear is one wheel peel at all times....... A limited slip diff is just another name for a Posi and I believe it was defined as putting the power to the wheel with the most traction in certain driving situations. But, when you mash the gas, both wheel will spin. Correct me if I am wrong but I believe in normal driving situations, especially when making turns, one side of a posi will assume more power to prevent the tail from coming around to say hello. Now everyone knows what happens when we mash the gas in a turn in a posi........ My belief here is that the rear is defective, or burnt out. And it wouldn't be the first GTO with a bum rear.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Mine locks up, at least on a left hand turn it does... :) Nailed it crossing a busy street today, and got a touch sideways with some good tire spin action... lol.. I thought it was kinda cute, but the car definitely needs more power... and a converter...

·
NASCAR-A-HOLIC
1,211 Posts
I wouldn't be worried about it to much, but it did spin both at one time. I've only really mashed on it a few times since I got it. Will call dealer and run it by them. I am curious if they will eventually come out with a recall. Only reason being that I have heard a few people complain about various rear end problems with this caR.

·
Registered
506 Posts
the car is not factory equipped woth a posi-trac rear end its a limited slip diff and im sure if u loaded ur car in a brake stand it be posi because ofthe load

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm having a little trouble making the mental leap from "only one side getting traction" to "change the tune" The two are utterly unrelated.
I was just afraid that I may have done something to it when I decreased the shift time with the Predator. It does shift pretty hard now even with only a 3% change. I moved it back to 0% tonight just to ease my conscience.

I was going up a hill and a little to the right when I tromped it and it was the left tire that did the smokin'. I'm going to try powerbraking and see what that does. I haven't tried that yet as I didn't think it would be that great on the car. If I don't get two good marks with that, then it's back to the dealer. It's been raining all day today and supposed to tomorrow and Wednesday too, so it will probably be a couple of days before I can try it. I did floor it going around a corner when I first got it and it just about did a 360 on me so I know I had posi at one time. I only have 1000 miles now and I don't think I've been rough enough to wear out the posi so, if it's out, it must have been defective (that's my story and I'm sticking to it).

·
Registered
59 Posts
Same thing happened to me twice around a turn or on a gradual turn while at WOT.

My car only has 1000 miles on it.

They LSD cant be bad already can it????

I just cant see it being bad unless its just a very poor design.

Sometimes I get sideways, other times I dont. Other times both wheels spin,

It just doesnt make sense.

My conquest could kick the tail out at my control anytime & 2 wheel burnouts everytime, never failed.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Now I've got around 2300 miles on it and I definitely know the car a little better. I did finally try a brake stand and I got two big a$$ black marks :) . Now if I can just afford new tires soon I'll be OK. I've found that if I floor the car and then turn a corner, both tires lock up and I can drift quite well. If I wait to floor it while I'm making the turn, the weight of the car shifts and only one tire has the load, so I only get one black mark and no fishtailing. I must be psychotic...I just can't stop leaving my rubber all over the road!!!

·
Registered
138 Posts
wheelburns said:
the car is not factory equipped woth a posi-trac rear end its a limited slip diff and im sure if u loaded ur car in a brake stand it be posi because ofthe load
posi-trac IS a limited slip differential. its just the name that gm gives to their limited slips. I am confused as to why ppl say that the fact that rear end of the car can come around implies a limited slip or any diff of any kind for that matter. Ive gotten every type of diff i have driven to get the rear end out just the same. (lockers, posi's, open carriers,) A limited slip uses clutches to transfer power to the wheel with the most resistance (grip). Therefore if you are setting down only one set of tire marks, i dont see how its working. If one wheel spins and the other doesnt, power should be transfered to the one thats not spinning and thats clearly not happening. Take it back man, i agree with the others, u payed for a limited slip diff.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts