LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Gone but not forgotten
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the smoker's package (front and rear) this morning. I ordered them from gmpartsdirect.com and saved a bunch of money over the prices my dealer quoted me, even with my discount from them.

The first thing I noticed is the ring around the lighter is the same green as the rest of the lights in the car. The second thing is the lighter is not American style - as in always on - it is only on when the ignition is on, just like the outlet in the center console. I'll have to see about rewiring that part.

Getting the radio out was a big deal. I bent a couple of pieces from a sturdy coat hanger to make the removal tool. You just have to push them in about 1/2" - 3/4" even tho' there is more depth than that.

I used a nice thin putty knife to lift the trim pieces that pop in instead of prying with a screw driver and messing up the other trim pieces.

It was about 1 1/2 hours start to finish, including taking pictures.

Instead of taking a bunch of bandwidth to post the pictures here, I made a page on my little server and posted the pictures there.

Go to this page and let me know if there are questions I can answer.

Diggs

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
You are definitely a dedicated smoker. Good Pics, it is interesting to see the guts.
:drink: :drink:

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Really nice job on the pics. I hope I didn't bog your server down checking them out.

But dude, seriously, I'm a smoker, too, but that nasty smell is nearly impossible to get out of a car. WE don't smell it 'cause our sinuses are fried, but non-smokers can smell it a mile away and it is NASTY.

If you're keeping your GTO forever, not a problem. But your resale value will plummet if you smoke in your Goat. Food for thought.

Anyway, really nice job on the installation and posting the pics.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thank you for the great info and pictures. I just want to install the 12v outlet for the radar detector. It looks like the plug is already there? It is a simple remove plug and reinstall.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Good job with the pics. I love seeing how to take stuff apart like this so when I do I wont make mistakes.

Now, if someone would take the dash apart. hint, hint.

·
Yellow Goat
410 Posts
Good pics, thanks for sharing. It's your car so smoke it up if you want, I'm certain you are fully aware of the resale value penalties that go along with it but to be honest, I don't think it even plays a part in trade in values. I seldom even have a salesman look my car over beyond a brief glance.

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
Don't smoke but use to :eek:

I did want a power supply up front for radar detector so I put one in.
I hard wired the power supply to the existing harness for the rear smokers
package and ran the wiring under the console.

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
HOLESHOT, VERY NICE! You've found a use for that little "cubby" up front. :D

Radar detectors are illegal in Virginia. (So is speeding, doing burnouts, and street racing.) There was a time that if a State Trooper could see your radar detector, he could rip it out of your dash on the spot. I don't think they can do that anymore, but the fines are still pretty hefty.

·
Gone but not forgotten
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now, now...

FLORIT said:
HOLESHOT, VERY NICE! You've found a use for that little "cubby" up front. :D

Radar detectors are illegal in Virginia. (So is speeding, doing burnouts, and street racing.) There was a time that if a State Trooper could see your radar detector, he could rip it out of your dash on the spot. I don't think they can do that anymore, but the fines are still pretty hefty.
Those troopers were doing you a favor. :eek:

I knew a couple of troopers that would take your detector apart for you and give the parts back to you. Just to make sure it was assembled properly, ya know.

Diggs

·
Feynman fan
2,336 Posts
Diggs said:
Getting the radio out was a big deal.
Diggs
Did you happen to notice, while you were in there, anything that looked like the hands-free connector for the Blaupunkt??? Or an addendum to the owner's manual that gives the scoop on that?

Just curious... ;)

·
Gone but not forgotten
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmmmm.....

gto_in_nc said:
Did you happen to notice, while you were in there, anything that looked like the hands-free connector for the Blaupunkt??? Or an addendum to the owner's manual that gives the scoop on that?

Just curious... ;)
I didn't even think to look for it. My current cell phone has a speaker phone built in and I had completely forgotten about the hands free deal.

The Helm manual shows it as a 6-way female connector. It is accessible via the passenger footwell, at the bottom of the center console stack. You do not have to pull the radio to get at it.

Diggs

·
Feynman fan
2,336 Posts
Diggs said:
I didn't even think to look for it. My current cell phone has a speaker phone built in and I had completely forgotten about the hands free deal.

The Helm manual shows it as a 6-way female connector. It is accessible via the passenger footwell, at the bottom of the center console stack. You do not have to pull the radio to get at it.

Diggs
Thank you, sir! I'll take a look at lunchtime if I get the chance. BTW, my cellphone has a speakerphone, too, but I'd like to try the car's "gee-wiz" thing and see if it is worthwhile. Seems like it should be...

Thanks again!

·
Gone but not forgotten
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hehhh...

gto_in_nc said:
Thank you, sir! I'll take a look at lunchtime if I get the chance. BTW, my cellphone has a speakerphone, too, but I'd like to try the car's "gee-wiz" thing and see if it is worthwhile. Seems like it should be...

Thanks again!
Yeah, I think the gee-whiz would really be cool, too. The problem I have is that cell phone sales folks get that "John Dean primal scream" look in their eyes when I ask them about a hands free kit that plugs into my car. At least the ones around here.

Anyone know where to get the male part of the connector? My wife has a Nokia and I have a Motorola so they should have different versions out there.

Diggs

·
Feynman fan
2,336 Posts
I'm thinking we need to know exactly what to ask for (regardless of phone manufacturer) before we try to buy one. It'll be similar to an ear-bud get-up (you know, the ones that make people look psychotic, walking around the mall talking to themselves (as opposed to the truely pyschotic people walking around and talking to themselves) in that each phone manufacturer will likely have their own "thing" but I'm hoping this was reasonably well thought out so that it is standards based. You are correct, though - go to your local wireless provider and tell them you need "one of those gadgets to plug into the radio" and they're likely to look at you strangely...

·
Gone but not forgotten
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Damn it Comcast...

Looks like my server is off line right now (Tuesday 27 April, 9 PM EDT). Comcast must be up to their usual antics again. Either that or someone is in the neighborhood with a John Deere fiber locator...

I'm at work and noticed that my link above is dead so if you want to see the pictures, check back later. If there are pictures in my signature, my server is back up. No pics, no server access.

Diggs

·
Registered
84 Posts
is the radio coded to the car. i mean if i tke it out will i have to enter a code before i can use it again because i dont have the owners manual and code.

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
Why don't you have the owners manual and security card?

·
Gone but not forgotten
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Code

Make sure the dealer gets the security card and code for you, also.

The radio is coded to the car. If you try to pull it and put it in another car, you have to have the magic decoder ring to make it work.

Diggs

1 - 20 of 28 Posts