LS1GTO.com Forums banner

141 - 153 of 153 Posts

·
GR-RRR!
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #141 (Edited)
Well, that's more like it. I placed an order with Amazon on Sunday afternoon and it arrived this morning. Wasn't in a hurry, they had the best price and I did free shipping. Which goes to prove they CAN do it, at times they just chose not to.

·
HGH Optimist
7,074 Posts
Well... if you order from somewhere other than Amazon, you CAN get things faster if YOU decide to pay for it.

How is it not the same thing, but... reversed? I think?

·
GR-RRR!
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
My original gripe was that I ordered from Amazon using their free shipping instead of paying extra or paying for Prime. The product was IN STOCK yet it took them a week to even ship it. My point being then that they COULD have shipped it in a more reasonable time frame, just that they didn't to thus make Prime look like a worthwhile extra expense. Now, with this order, they kind of proved my point.

·
DW can't take a J... or a D
2,186 Posts
You didn't have a point, LOL. You got free shipping and they shipped it when they wanted to because they had higher priority orders. Jeff Bezos could bring it to you personally on his helicopter if you pay for the privilege, doesn't mean they should.

·
GR-RRR!
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
You got free shipping and they shipped it when they wanted to because Amazon wants to convince people to pay extra for something that can easily be provided free.
FTFY

·
HGH Optimist
7,074 Posts
You didn't have a point, LOL. You got free shipping and they shipped it when they wanted to because they had higher priority orders. Jeff Bezos could bring it to you personally on his helicopter if you pay for the privilege, doesn't mean they should.
For that price, I better click "Buy Now" and that shit comes crashing through my ceiling.

No. Not even close.

So I imagine if you and your neighbor pay for 2 different internet speeds, the cheaper one should be the same as the faster one because... well... it's ABLE to hit that speed. Right?

·
GR-RRR!
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
So I imagine if you and your neighbor pay for 2 different internet speeds, the cheaper one should be the same as the faster one because... well... it's ABLE to hit that speed. Right?
The question that scenarios raises for me is, does it REALLY cost more to deliver faster internet service to one person vs. another's slower service? But I suppose if EVERYONE got the fastest service, unless the backbone providing the service was REALLY robust someone would still lose out on promised throughput. (Though the promised throughput always comes with a disclaimer anyway.)

This all just reminds me of a story of Porsche in the 1980s. At one point their sales across the US were low and dropping fast. No one in marketing could figure it out and they had tried everything they could think of. They were making reasonably good cars for a reasonable price in their markets, so what was the problem? So, they brought in a consultant. The consultant did a long and detailed study. When his recommendation came through it basically boiled down to one statement: raise your prices by 30-40%. Not improve quality. Not build additional efficiencies into the manufacturing process. Don't change a THING on the cars, just raise the prices. Porsche was at wits end so they tried it. And sales took off following this. The PERCEIVED additional value was put in people's minds. "If I have to spend more for a thing it has to be better." Better is desirable so people lined up to spend more to impress their friends and neighbors even though the car they were getting was just the same as the one they could have gotten before at a much better price. Why? Porsche created a mythical belief that their cars were better because they now cost more. Smoke and mirrors. But it worked. Ultimately, pretty much the same thing Amazon is doing, artificially creating a perceived need to pay more for something extra.

·
GR-RRR!
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
This pretty much rings true of this entire discussion. On many different levels.....

·
HGH Optimist
7,074 Posts
I don't see how Guaranteed Shipping is now considered a Porsche.

But ok...

·
HGH Optimist
7,074 Posts

·
HGH Optimist
7,074 Posts

·
HGH Optimist
7,074 Posts

·
HGH Optimist