1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Turbo is in and tuning has begun :gears:

We stepped up a few sizes :eek:

Attachments

·
11 second Club
1,452 Posts
nice.... lets see those front tires come of the ground. :)

·
dum dum dum dum dudum
6,217 Posts
I dont think that theres a single GTO that has the fronts come off the ground. Wanna be the first?

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
^^its not gonna happen with the car squatting that much.

Damn you going for kenny's times? thats a big ass turbo

·
Mongillo Motors
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Although I would love to see the fronts come off the ground, it's not going to happen until I make a few changes at the least. First I need to be able to fit skinnies up front and that's a problem with the the 14" Baer brakes. I could take the brakes off but then it won't stop. Second I'm going to need more sidewall than the 17s have.

Second, I'm going to need a tranny that can handle the power.

Dbluegoat, that weight transfer is what helps the car hook and if the wheels were to come off the ground, we need that weight transfer. I'm sure you realize that since your not new to drag racing, just not sure why you think that's a negative. I don't have any wheelhop issues, and until now, no traction issues at a well prepped track with the M/Ts heated up.

The question is, does anyone make skinnies that work with 14" brakes?
Question 2 is, do chevy lug pattern wheels fit for drag use?

I also need to remind myself that it is a street car and not an all out drag car so there will always be a compromise.

Thanks for the support though.

Ed

·
Registered
195 Posts
The bolt pattern is a touchy isue, some people see it as the difference is so small that is doesnt matter, the ague is that the difference is could be easly the same as small manufacturing differences. .025 of an inch. I do use chevy bolt pattern wheels and have not had a problem yet, no vibration ect but the choice is yours to make. here is a pic of my drag setup(i only change the back wheels) Good luck.

]

·
THE ROKET WAS SOLD ON 6/22/14
9,794 Posts
What time you want me to come down so you can install those on my car? :)Man-o-Man Ed, that yellow Goat is going to be a blur going down the track, Yikes!!!!! I can't wait to see it run next month......

ROK

·
That ain't no cake
2,665 Posts
dblaron said:
The bolt pattern is a touchy isue, some people see it as the difference is so small that is doesnt matter, the ague is that the difference is could be easly the same as small manufacturing differences. .025 of an inch. I do use chevy bolt pattern wheels and have not had a problem yet, no vibration ect but the choice is yours to make. here is a pic of my drag setup(i only change the back wheels) Good luck.

]
Hey those look familiar!:gears:

·
Non Denominational Car Nut
2,347 Posts
Where you still in the testing stage or
are the times in your sig your best with the other turbo?
Correct me if i am way off base but the et/mph seem slow
for all the mods+money invested.
Was this at high altitude?
Again I may be overlooking something ,,just trying to learn here..

Forged 6.6 liter,
AFR 225,Cam,
STS Turbo,
Methanol,
Intercooler,
HPTuners,
Innovate LC-1,
Custom Fuel System,etc.,
E.T. 11.39 @ 115 mph 1.60 60'

·
Born Again Goat
1,555 Posts
That is his old time with the small turbo. And, it looks to be a T76 turbo...

·
Mongillo Motors
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
HTRDLNCN said:
Where you still in the testing stage or
are the times in your sig your best with the other turbo?
Correct me if i am way off base but the et/mph seem slow
for all the mods+money invested.
Was this at high altitude?
Again I may be overlooking something ,,just trying to learn here..

Forged 6.6 liter,
AFR 225,Cam,
STS Turbo,
Methanol,
Intercooler,
HPTuners,
Innovate LC-1,
Custom Fuel System,etc.,
E.T. 11.39 @ 115 mph 1.60 60'
It's a combination of all the above. I was playing with the tune for the new torque converter (changing lock up speeds).

Tranny blew a couple of weeks before. Rebuilt with the best parts available and reinstalled. Tranny broke again the week before, new clutch pack- Raybestos Blue Plate specials didn't hold up to the power. Replaced with Alto RedEagle PowerPack. After track day, tranny was pulled again and inspected, new clutch pack had to be installed again. Also found that the Yank SS3600 converter was smoked. It didn't hold up iether and Yank offers ZERO warranty :mad:
Replaced with a Precision Industries Vigilante Multi-disc 3600 converter good for 1500 hp with an unconditional 2 year warranty :)

It was at Lebanon Valley which is at a higher altitude than other track sin the area. Altitude for that day was 2600' if I remember correctly.
Lebanon is typically 1-2 tenths slower than Englishtown and Atco.

It was 85+ degrees that day in June, not terrible but definitely not optimal.

I was running 18" wheels on the front, not skinnies.

I was running 17" drag radials on stock rims on the rear, not slicks or even 15" drag radials with more sidewall on lighter rims.

The car weight was 4135 lbs. in full street trim (amp/subwoofer in trunk). No weight reduction what-so-ever.

The 14" brakes up front adds to the unsprung weight which is more critical than adding sprung weight.

The 11.3 was the second of 3 back-to-back-to-back runs completed in under ten minutes so the car was definitely running hotter than normal. 5 runs and the car ran no slower than 11.59.

Largest handicap was the turbo being to small. Unlike a supercharger, when a turbo is to small, it can severely restrict the exhaust flow which backs up the intake flow so even with an increase of boost, the power doesn't increase as much as if the exhaust was able to flow more freely. the more boost I tried to run, the less rpms I could run up top. I was basically maxed out at 5-6 psi.

I don't think the times are bad at all considering all the above.

As a matter of fact, there are only 3 forced induction GTOs running faster than me (without nitrous) and I believe they all had lightweight rims with skinnies and larger rear tires. Of those three, 2 of them made their runs in much cooler weather at lower altitudes.

I read a post on here today that someone gained 2 tenths just by putting on skinnies.

So what do you think, should it have been faster?

·
Non Denominational Car Nut
2,347 Posts
Basically your saying the turbo was negating the bigger engine and cam and other mods since it couldnt flow what they required so you were limited to an x amount of power regradless what else you did?..

·
Ho's b4 Bro's
2,148 Posts
edgz06 said:
So what do you think, should it have been faster?
The trap mph is way off, though the et is nice. Sounds like you know why (too small a turbo for what it had to feed).

What turbo did you have with those runs?

·
Mongillo Motors
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
HTRDLNCN said:
Basically your saying the turbo was negating the bigger engine and cam and other mods since it couldnt flow what they required so you were limited to an x amount of power regradless what else you did?..
That is correct.

·
Mongillo Motors
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hawkeye said:
The trap mph is way off, though the et is nice. Sounds like you know why (too small a turbo for what it had to feed).

What turbo did you have with those runs?

That trap was with the converter locked in third gear for the whole third gear run.

The smaller turbo is a GT67 the larger turbo is a 76 GTS.

·
Mongillo Motors
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dbluegoat said:
^^its not gonna happen with the car squatting that much.

Damn you going for kenny's times? thats a big ass turbo
This turbo is the same one Kenny has, and no I'm not shooting for 9s my goal is a 10 second street car with all the creature comforts including overdrive. and subwoofers. :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
edgz06 said:
This turbo is the same one Kenny has, and no I'm not shooting for 9s my goal is a 10 second street car with all the creature comforts including overdrive. and subwoofers. :)
Hopefully on Oct.20th we can both make a side by side 10sec pass. Good luck with you're car.:burnout:
Pete

·
Mongillo Motors
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
TURBO-GTO2 said:
Hopefully on Oct.20th we can both make a side by side 10sec pass. Good luck with you're car.:burnout:
Pete
That would make a nice video, 2 heavy ass 4,100 lbs. GTOs running 10s in street trim.

I hope my tranny holds up for a few good runs. I honestly don't expect it to live long with the power I'm making now. 15#s of boost is all I could run right now since my 60# injectors are maxed out. I even made the methanol a dual nozzle system to help with the fuel demands.

Ed

1 - 20 of 20 Posts