LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
GR-RRR!
6,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So after a long hard mental struggle with myself today I put down a deposit on a Magnuson TVS2300 kit. I'll be putting it on "stock", no spin-it-faster pulleys or anything like that.

My car is basically a stock long block but with Comp Pro Magnum 1.8 ratio steel roller rockers, 400lb dual springs and Comp push rods. Bolt ons that will stay are the Kooks stepped headers, Kooks high flow cats and the Magnaflow catback. Bolt ons I'll be losing are the FAST 102 and SLP 25% underdrive crank pulley/balancer. Other things that will be displaced along the way are the DuSpeed intake, Katech bolt down idler pulley and the BMR strut tower brace. I'll also be retaining the LS3 throttle body since in my experience multiple LS2 throttle bodies have proven to be unreliable.

The build will consist of:
-Magnuson TVS2300 kit
-DeatschWerks DW300c fuel pump (I will forego the Magnavolt fuel pump booster included in the TVS kit)
-Cold Case aluminum radiator
-180 degree thermostat
-NGK BR7EF spark plugs (recommended by tuner)
-four corner steam vent kit

I'll be reinstalling the stock crank pulley/balancer and the stock air intake box. I may upgrade the intake at some later date.

Vendor said the wait time is expected to be 8-10 weeks so I may get started on the fuel pump right away since that will be a PITA I suppose. The radiator will wait for the blower install since it will be nice to have the radiator out of the way in order to pin the crank. I bought a right-angle close quarter power drill for that particular job.

An update to the tune will ensue once everything is in place.

How should I store the removed fuel injectors? Just leave them in the FAST and then put it all in a bag and seal it up?

If anyone wants to know the GTO history up to this point visit my website: Rich's Brazen Orange Metallic 2006 Pontiac GTO Preservation and Documentation Website

·
Administrator
20,901 Posts
Yay, another maggie GTO!

I would advise against the 160 t-stat unless its a race car only. 180 maybe, but 160 is a bit cold for most conditions.

·
Worthless reject member
48,501 Posts
next thing you know he will be doing pullies and a magnavolt, maybe have a small fuel system existential crisis.

then he will blow his motor and get a 454 lsx built.

then a tvs 2650.

then he will blow his rear end up.

then an 8.8 or 9 inch setup.

he will have found it impossible to launch his manual with all of that power, and decide on a built 4l80 with a gargantuan stall.

somewhere in all that mess he will minitub, get gforce rear coilovers and modified rear control arms.

he might run 8's.

i guess we'll see where this all ends.

·
GR-RRR!
6,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I really want to put it in now. I'll have to measure to see if I'd still have room to pin the crank with the radiator in place. I was expecting the fuel pump to arrive today too but it must be coming separately. I can put that in any time though I do need to drive some of the gas out of the tank so it won't be so heavy. This will also be an opportunity to swap out the filler neck.

·
Yes my name is Holden
571 Posts
Greetings Guys; Can you say "AFFLICKTION", No dues due! Rich please consider a new balancer with a key. Don't rely on that 15 year old piece of brown soft smelly stuff, I mean "rubber" to be up to the task of reducing harmonics too the valve train. Did you buy that SA book about pressurizing LS engines? I did & I'm going to go look for it. If you didn't & I find it, I'll need an address, Ole' Bob.

·
GR-RRR!
6,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I spent the better part of the afternoon cleaning up the shop and moving cars around so the GTO would be next to the work bench and so I'd have adequate space around it on both sides and to the front. I threw away about half a small dumpster's worth of crap and swept out about 5 pounds or dust and debris. The work bench is clear and the rolling work table is clear. Now I just need some parts to install. I'm not removing anything until the kit has been shipped, but I will probably install the fuel pump as soon as it arrives.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I really want to put it in now. I'll have to measure to see if I'd still have room to pin the crank with the radiator in place. I was expecting the fuel pump to arrive today too but it must be coming separately. I can put that in any time though I do need to drive some of the gas out of the tank so it won't be so heavy. This will also be an opportunity to swap out the filler neck.
What's with swapping out the filler neck?

·
GR-RRR!
6,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What's with swapping out the filler neck?
The little flapper valve at the top where the gas nozzle goes is messed up so I got a spare filler neck. I know that flapper valve isn't exactly critical but I have the spare filler neck so I might as well put it in while I have the tank out.

·
Administrator
8,916 Posts
I did not have to remove my deeper Mishimoto radiator to pin the crank with my Dewalt right angle drill. I only needed to remove the fans.

·
GR-RRR!
6,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I would advise against the 160 t-stat unless its a race car only. 180 maybe, but 160 is a bit cold for most conditions.
Can you expand on that? The car is only a fair weather toy but does see some cooler weather in the Spring and Fall if there is no precip in the forecast. Is this something I should discuss with my tuner? The last time I talked to him about the 160 he stated that on an LS2 GTO the fans can't come on any earlier than 192 so a 160 would not be of much use. But that was when I was just a NA bolt ons car, the blower is a whole different situation. If need be, I can certainly return the 160 and swap it for a 180 or just return it and stick with stock.

·
Worthless reject member
48,501 Posts
The little flapper valve at the top where the gas nozzle goes is messed up so I got a spare filler neck. I know that flapper valve isn't exactly critical but I have the spare filler neck so I might as well put it in while I have the tank out.
I would like your broken filler neck pls.

·
Worthless reject member
48,501 Posts
Greetings Guys; Can you say "AFFLICKTION", No dues due! Rich please consider a new balancer with a key. Don't rely on that 15 year old piece of brown soft smelly stuff, I mean "rubber" to be up to the task of reducing harmonics too the valve train. Did you buy that SA book about pressurizing LS engines? I did & I'm going to go look for it. If you didn't & I find it, I'll need an address, Ole' Bob.
I think he should get an ati or innovators west, personally.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts